Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: Sports discussion

Bookmark and Share
    Schigolch
    4-0.

Barcelona is today so much better than Santos.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the entire Spanish football is so much better than anyone else's. How can a team play this well? It was uncanny. It looked like they had magnets in their feet, possession wouldn't leave them, all passes were accurate and fast, with amazing display of skills - something Brazilian teams of the past used to display, but don't any longer.
    Brazil's hopes of capturing their 6th World Cup at home in 2014 may very well instead become Spain's 2nd World Cup.
    Granted that many of these players are not Spanish nationals, but then, there are other good nationals in other La Liga teams.
    You guys look invincible.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Question for Schigolch.

In 2010 I went to Barcelona for the Grand Prix & while I was there I decided to go & see FCB play & went to a La Liga game against Tenerife. The final score was 2-1 to FCB & Lionel Messi scored both. I'd love to be able to say I saw him score but it was torrential rain & I was so busy ferreting about for umbrella & waterproofs I missed both goals.

When Tenerife scored, nobody cheered & I realised then that there were absolutely no 'away' fans there at all. And as there were no fans for the team to go to, Tenerife went into a huddle, slapped each other on the back & carried on with the game. I felt quite sorry for them.

So my question is: is there no tradition of 'away' fans travelling to games like there is in England? Or was it just because Tenerife fans live a long way from Barcelona? In England (not so much in Scotland), you can support any team, it doesn't matter where you live. They say that hardly any Man Utd fans actually come from Manchester.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Schigolch
    Not invincible, but very good.

Today, there were eight spaniards playing since the start of the game (later, also Pedro played), so it's a good team. Spain plays now the way Brazil played since the 1950s to the 1980s. This is jogo bonito, though we call it tiki-taka.

Senior Member Involved Member itywltmt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Soooo funny!

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super Bowl XLVI - Giants won!
    Great game!
    I'm so happy the horrible Patriots didn't win!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

7. Likes itywltmt liked this post
    Schigolch
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    So my question is: is there no tradition of 'away' fans travelling to games like there is in England? Or was it just because Tenerife fans live a long way from Barcelona? In England (not so much in Scotland), you can support any team, it doesn't matter where you live. They say that hardly any Man Utd fans actually come from Manchester.
    Sorry, sospiro, I didn't see this message until today.

Yes, of course there is a tradition of 'away' fans travelling to games. Sometimes, they are just a few, sometimes, a lot of them, depends on the importance of the game, availability of tickets, ... There is a big distance indeed from Tenerife to Barcelona, more than 2,000 kilometers, but in the end it's just a less than three hours flight. In fact, in Tenerife there is a tradition that the local fans, apart from the local team, will root for Barcelona, while in Las Palmas (the other big city in the Canary Islands) they root for Real Madrid.

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am depressed as I support Arsenal and they are going down the plughole. If any of my fellow members have a spare couple of billion and fancy investing it then come and meet me in North London.

Schigolch
    Well, I watched their game versus Milan the other day... I think you will rather need three billions.

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in a better mood now after two RVP goals against Liverpool! 5-0 against Milan anyone???

12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And the Baggies beating the (once) mighty Chelsea!!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Schigolch
    What a game!. Arsenal 3 - Milan 0, at halftime...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wheew! Fortunately Milan did not allow the fourth goal. Aggregate, Milan 4-3 Arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like
    My oh my, Messi scored 5 goals in a game! Barcelona 7-1 Bayern L. Impressive!

Schigolch
    It was the first time someone scored five goals in the top Europan competition since 1979!.

Messi is such an unbelievable player...

On the other hand, Bayern L.'s performance was really poor, Barcelona could have scored ten or twelve goals if needed.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast