Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: Sports discussion

Bookmark and Share
    Schigolch
    Spain wins the U21 European Football Championship beating Italy 4-2 in the final.

There are many young players coming around to replace the current European and world champions.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    Spain wins the U21 European Football Championship beating Italy 4-2 in the final.

There are many young players coming around to replace the current European and world champions.
    Congratulations.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, pretty wild game six of the NBA finals. After tying the game with fractions of seconds left, the Miami Heat won in OT, forcing game 7. Very thrilling ending. I usually only follow the NBA during the finals, but these are not disappointing.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Schigolch
    Brazil 2 : Mexico 0, with a great performance by Neymar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brazil 2 : Mexico 0, with a great performance by Neymar.
    Brazil is very talented but also very disorganized.
    Hopefully after playing some more together the disorganization part will improve.
    But yes, Neymar is very impressive. I like Jo better than Fred as well.
    Brazil has a very dangerous, fast-reacting offense.
    It's the defense that is concerning.

Wild Italy vs. Japan, with the Azzurri finally wining 4-3.
    And wild ice hockey game with the finals now tied 2-2, the Blackhawks won 6-5 in overtime after several lead changes.

Schigolch
    The Japanese played better, but they were very, very naive.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Japanese played better, but they were very, very naive.
    Things have indeed changed for Italy - who would have believed in a score of 4-3 involving an Italian team at the time of catenaccio?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great NBA finals ended tonight with Miami Heat's victory.

Uruguay beat Nigeria 2-1 and is well placed to advance as second in Spain's group in the Conferations Cup. It was an interesting game. The latter, using subs, crushed the amateurs from Tahiti 10-0 (I fast-forwarded through it - this was a training session rather than a game).

These results will make the weekend games a bit more interesting: Brazil and Italy although both already qualified for the semis, will probably indeed try to win their game, since the winner will avoid an encounter with Spain in the semis. Brazil got a big boost: Pirlo will not play, with an injury. Without the maestro, I'm afraid the Azzurra won't be the same (and Brazil does look superior, having dominated the other two group opponents much more completely than Italy did).

Spain vs. Nigeria will at least have Nigeria trying hard, since they still have remote chances.

Meanwhile the situation in Brazil is deteriorating fast, with the street protests that don't stop ballooning. Today the first death during the protests has happened, and the number of people on the streets was the highest so far, with lots of vandalism and clashes with the police.

I wonder if FIFA will reassign the 2014 World Cup to another country. Today a FIFA bus was set on fire by protesters (it was empty, no injuries). The first time these people pierce the police blockade and stone a bus transporting athletes or FIFA officials, will be, in my opinion, the end of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

In retrospective, it does seem like the decision of granting the Cup to Brazil was a big mistake. It seems like not only the country is not prepared to host it, but the population also doesn't want it and is actively demonstrating against it (given out-of-control spending to build the stadiums and infrastructure, instead of investing in hospitals, schools, security against rampant urban crime, and transportation).

For one thing, I'm now rethinking my plan of attending the World Cup in 2014. Even if these protests die out by the end of the Confederations Cup, they're likely to restart with even bigger force when the World Cup rolls in (*if* it is not reassigned to another country). It looks like I'll rather watch the WC on TV from the safety of my living room. Pity. I was really looking forward to it.

One interesting question - if FIFA reassigns the Cup, what happens to Brazil's qualification? They haven't played the South American qualifiers given that they are the hosts. If they aren't the hosts any longer, what will happen to their bid?

I think the right thing to do would be to make sure the Cup is held in a country that will have already qualified (Hmm... the United States? ) so not to add to the group of 32, and then Brazil would go under special invitation from FIFA. After all, a WC without Brazil would be a lot less fun, and they haven't missed a single one since the first one - and nobody doubts they would have qualified, as they always do, had they played the South American qualifiers.

Anyway, this is still an unlikely scenario. But if the situation truly deteriorates, it's not excluded. One interesting thing is that FIFA right at the beginning of the demonstrations issued a statement confirming their support for the 2014 WC in Brazil. But then, several days later and with the demonstrations ballooning to epic proportions and resulting in ever-increasing violence, FIFA has been strangely silent about it. There has been no further statement. One wonders.

This first death (which occurred today in Ribeirão Preto, a large city in the state of São Paulo) has the potential to lit the whole country on fire. I can anticipate that during the funerals for the young man who died, people will make of him a martyr and will radicalize the protests even more, which will likely bring about more police repression, and an already volatile situation could easily spiral out of control.

It's all very concerning.

Who would have anticipated this? Brazil had spent the last decade looking like a country on the right track, and they all love soccer down there... I thought the WC there would be one of the best in history. Now, it's all going down the drains.

Schigolch
    This happened before when Colombia renounced the 1986 World Cup and it was then allocated to Mexico, but this was in 1983, and the qualification games haven't started yet.

Now, one year before the tournament, I don't think FIFA will change the home country, unless Brazil's situation denegerated into something near to a civil war, what's look very unlikely.

Not only the World Championship, there are also the Rio Olympics Games in 2016.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brazil vs. Italy - Brazil clearly dominating the game with 65% possession and playing much better but disorganized as usual - still, they have enough firepower and talent to be winning 2-1 so far two thirds into the game, and they had a couple of near misses, could have been more. What they'd do against a very organized team like Spain remains to be seen. Also, Italy is missing its main and best player, Pirlo, so it's not an Italy at full force (he's one man, but he is actually the conductor, so, a Pirlo-less Italy is really not the same team). A rather boring game is now getting a bit more exciting as Italy finally is trying harder to attack as they now are two scores behind since the draw favors Brazil. Both teams have already advanced and all that is at stake is who will get to avoid Spain in the semis. The winner of this is likely to play Uruguay while the loser will have to face Spain.

OK, right now at 65 minutes, this is over. Brazil 3-1, Fred finally did something as he was rather underwhelming in the first two games. Italy now would have to score three goals to avoid Spain, I don't see this happening so the semis seem to be set now.

Hm, OK, this is actually turning into an exciting game. 3-2 at 71 minutes. Maybe it's not over after all.

Italy hit the crossbar at 79'.

Balotelli almost scored at 82. Now it's Italy complete domination and Brazil is just trying to focus on defense and run down the clock.

88' - Brazil 4-2. Fred again. So much for Jo's chances of getting the position (I still think Jo is better).

Game over. Brazil undefeated for the last 55 competitive matches in home soil. It bodes well for the 2014 World Cup.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); June 22nd, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

Schigolch
    Now, the semifinals are set, two great games with four World champions.

Brazil - Uruguay, next Wednesday.

Spain - Italy, next Thursday.

I think Brazil is favorite over Uruguay, being the home team and having a better bunch of players, overall. However, we all know that Uruguay was there already more than sixty years ago...

Spain and Italy is a closer game. Italy has a good chance of beating Spain, if they can finally field all their best players, though the European and world champions are still the slight favorites to advance to the final.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Italy's chances have suffered some big blows. Balotelli and Abate are gone, and Pirlo remains injured. I think Italy can only beat Spain if it is at full strength, and it won't be so unfortunately I predict that Spain will prevail again.

Brazil should be able to beat Uruguay, I think, but like you said it's a regional rivalry game so anything is possible.

But if things go as planned, Brazil and Spain should meet for the championship game.

Spain looked vulnerable for the first time, against Nigeria. Of course they still dominated the game and won by a large score, but they also conceded countless near-goal opportunities that might have been converted by a team with less atrocious finishing. The Nigerian strikers were left several times with the goal wide open in front of them and couldn't manage to shoot the ball, in some bizarre mishaps (they'd trip on the ball, kick the ball into their other leg, and so forth). The Brazilians are much better finishers than the Nigerians, so if Spain concedes this kind of opportunity in case these two meet for the big final, it's not impossible that Spain will be in some trouble. Of course, Brazil's defense is porous too, so, we may see a shoot-out with a large number of goals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Confederations Cup, first semi-final, Brazil vs. Uruguay.
    At 52 minutes, 1-1.
    Brazil playing very badly. Uruguay seems to pressure the wings and shut down Brazil's usual passing lanes which has made of their dangerous offense a much less efficient unit. Uruguay missed a PK in first half and should be winning the game as they're playing much better. Neymar as usual had a moment of genius which resulted in Brazil's goal by Fred. Silly mistake by Thiago Silva resulted in Uruguay's goal. This doesn't bode well for Brazil as Uruguay continues to play better. I wish Brazil had Dante instead of David Luiz to give a bit more class to the defense, and I keep thinking about what Jo would be doing, although Fred stubbornly proves me wrong by scoring (today's was his third goal in the Confeds Cup).

I hope Brazil will still win this, but definitely, they look a lot worse today as compared to their first three games. Will Uruguay again upset Brazil in their own land, like in 1950?

PS - OK, the game got significantly better (more exciting) in the last 30 minutes after a boring first hour, and Brazil ended up prevailing with a late goal at 86' after they finally engaged in a lot more offensive moves which were lacking for them up to that point. Pushed by their supporters, they went ahead to decide the game, and did.

So Brazil will play the final on Sunday 6 PM ET, against either Spain (more likely) or Italy.

While Brazil can perfectly beat Italy again and be the champions, I don't think they'll be able to beat Spain if they play like they did today.

So I think Brazil's best chance is to root for an Italian upset tomorrow, which won't be so easy without Balotelli.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); June 26th, 2013 at 09:16 PM.

Schigolch
    Uruguay lost the game, with Forlan missing a penalty, and a thorough exhibition of bad goalkeeping by Muslera.

Brazil playing a very poor game. I think I start to understand the reason behind why Brazil's game is getting worse and worse since the 1980s. And it's not only the managers, as was my conviction until now. Thirthy years ago, after such a display like today, even in winning, the crowd would have booed the players and the manager to death. Today, they were just crazy with joy...

I think I can confidently predict Brazil will not win the World Cup next year, and the title will go to Argentina or to an European team (it would be the first time an European team win a World Cup in America).

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, of course the crowd was joyful. Uruguay is a regional rival, Lugano was running his mouth making fun of Brazil and threatening another Maracanazo, they are playing at home and want to play the final, therefore a win is a win. But according to the Brazilian press, the public was not happy and kept yelling the names of some subs they wanted to see, instead of the starters.

But I think your conclusion about the World Cup is premature. There's still one year to go and they can still improve, and most times, when a major soccer power plays the World Cup at home, they are strong contenders. Actually some commentators were saying that the best thing that can happen to Brazil, is a defeat to Spain on Sunday, which will force them to look carefully at their own mistakes. A win by Brazil on Sunday will make them sloppy and over-confident.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast