Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: Complete operas on youtube

Bookmark and Share
    Schigolch
    One of the Jesuit operas composed for the upbringing of the Chiquitanos, San Ignacio de Loyola was written by Domenico Zipoli, a composer that decided in 1716, at 28 years old, to renounce everything and go to America, to the Missions.

Schigolch
    One of the operas based on Garcia Lorca's works, is Yerma, by Heitor Villa-Lobos. We can hear it complete, and recently uploaded, in youtube:

Schigolch
    In the 1920s Darius Milhaud wrote the three Opéras-Minutes (Mini-Operas), with a libretto by Henri Hoppenot, based on Greek mythology. All together, they amount for around 27 minutes. They are:

1.- L'enlèvement d'Europe
    2.- L'abandon d'Ariane
    3.- Le délivrance de Thésée

All can be heard complete in youtube:

recorded in 1929 under the conducting of Milhaud himself.

Schigolch
    Angelique (1926) was arguably the most popular opera by Jacques Ibert:

Schigolch

What we ask of music, first and last, is that it communicate experience - experience of all kinds, vital and profound at its greatest, amusing or entertaining at another level. But communication is two-sided - vital and profound communication makes demands also on those who are to receive it... demands in the sense of concentration, of genuine effort to receive what is being communicated.

Roger Sessions

Some reflections on music of American composer Roger Sessions, also one of the more influential teachers in America for several generations, from his position at Princeton.

The Idyll of Theocritus (1954) One act opera:

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    Parsifal - Bayreuth 2012
    Thanks, Schigolch! Watching this now; really fascinating. As usual, Herheim throws in everything but the kitchen sink, but in a very beautiful, orchestrated way.

Opus Arte, I'm waiting for the DVD!

Schigolch
    Carlisle Floyd - Susannah

Schigolch
    Marc-Antoine Charpentier - Médée

Schigolch
    Ernst Krenek : The Bell Tower - 1956

Schigolch
    In his own words, Rued Langgaard considered his 1923 opera, Antikrist, as a philosophical-religious drama about the decline and spiritual fall of Western civilization. In fact, there is almost no plot, and certainly no drama, in this opera, that consists basically of several monologues and dialogues, with little more action between the Prologue, when the Antichrist is sent to the World, to the final scene, with the defeat and destruction of the Antichrist.

Altough Langgaard tried to get several theaters interested in performing the opera during his lifetime, it was not until more than forty years after his death, that the Antikrist was finally staged in Austria, sung in German. (the Danish State radio also broadcasted a performance in the 1980s).

We can hear the opera complete in youtube:

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    In his own words, Rued Langgaard considered his 1923 opera, Antikrist, as a philosophical-religious drama about the decline and spiritual fall of Western civilization. In fact, there is almost no plot, and certainly no drama, in this opera, that consists basically of several monologues and dialogues, with little more action between the Prologue, when the Antichrist is sent to the World, to the final scene, with the defeat and destruction of the Antichrist.
    Oh dear ... not what I would like to read because I have Antikrist on Blu-ray as part of my unwatched pile.

Schigolch
    You never know... perhaps this is a Regietheater staging, after all.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    Oh dear ... not what I would like to read because I have Antikrist on Blu-ray as part of my unwatched pile.

I've steered clear of buying this, as I've read negative reviews. Send it back for a refund, HC!

But seriously, I like the fact that you've been experimenting a lot. In the past you used to be a lot more set on your ways (Baroque, Baroque, and more Baroque) and while as you know I love Baroque too, I'm an omnivore opera lover, and I think there are advantages in broadening one's exposure, exploring contemporary opera, etc. You know, contemporary music grows on you; strange, unfamiliar, challenging at first, but once you get into it you discover that it can be quite beautiful and satisfying.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

14. Likes HarpsichordConcerto liked this post
    Schigolch
    Giacomo Facco was an Italian composer, active in Spain since 1720, when Queen Elizabeth Farnesio commisioned him an opera, with a libretto by José de Cañizares, to celebrate the birth of his son, prince Philip.

Las Amazonas de España was an italianate piece, sung in Spanish, and performed by the best Spanish singers at the premiere, in one of the royal palaces, before King and Queen.

16. Likes HarpsichordConcerto liked this post
    Schigolch
    Aaron Copland: The Tender Land.

Conducted by himself, in 1978: