Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: Complete operas on youtube

Bookmark and Share
    Schigolch
    Ferenc Erkel - Bánk bán

2. Likes Nervous Gentleman liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nervous Gentleman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah! You beat me to it! I was going to post that! I love this opera and the others by Smareglia (I have recordings of five different operas). In fact, I have been doing a lot of digging around on the internet to no avail trying to see if a video exists of any of these. "Oceana" and a couple of others have been staged within the last 20 years, so it's possible. I'm currently awaiting an interlibrary loan of the Bongiovanni cd of this same production of "La Falena" (the only extant recording, apparently) as it contains an English translation of the libretto (according to worldcat.org: "Program notes in Italian with English translation, and text by Silvio Benco in Italian with English translation (85 p.), inserted in container). I have the libretto to "Nozze istriane" (the Bongiovanni cd is supposed to contain a translation of this, as well), but I am unable to find ANY of the other librettos online, in Italian or any other language. Nor can I find scans of the vocal scores (except for "Nozze istriane"). However, a book of five libretti was published recently, but in Italian only. Nevertheless, I'd like to get a copy.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/morte-.../oclc/52476731

"Nozze istriane" libretto:
    http://www.librettidopera.it/nozzistr/nozzistr.html

The following link is very useful, as it contains a seemingly thorough list of performances (use Google Chrome to translate the Croatian):

http://www.smareglia.info/

Schigolch
    Yes, as far as I'm aware there are only commercial recordings of Nozze Istriane and La Falena.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has this been posted already? In any case, it is not in the Index (Nat, have you been updating the index?)

The 1978 color remake for TV of the original NBC black-and-white film of Menotti's Amahl and the Night Visitors filmed in Israel is available complete on YouTube with the great Teresa Stratas who does a phenomenal job as the Mother. The Philharmonia Orchestra London is conducted by Jesus Lopes-Cobos. Boy soprano Robert Sapolsky does a decent job as Amahl. The three kings are very good.

This American classic is of course well known to everybody (being it the most performed American opera), but if you don't know it, it is very enjoyable. It is sung in clear English but the libretto is also available [here].

There are six parts, less than one hour for this one act opera. I'm posting the first one, and it is easy to get the other five just by searching.

One of the most beautiful parts is the ensemble "Have you seen a child the color of wheat..." which is towards the end of the third part. The famous Shepherds chorus is in part four.

The dancing interlude is curious because for such a pious opera, the girl dancing it is darn sexy! Around 3'50" in part four. Not to forget that Teresa Stratas is a very yummy mom.

Also notice the lovely mother-son duet at the end, "Don't forget to wear your hat" in part six.

Parts 5 and 6 have a problem of audio-video synchrony. Still, this is a very good film (rather dark image, though). Singing and acting are first rate. Highly recommended, A.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); September 7th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

6. Likes Nervous Gentleman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul Hindemith - Mathis der Maler (1994)

with English subtitles

This is the 1994 telecast filmed only days before the Gran Teatre del Liceu burnt to the ground (perhaps it was the ghost of Hindemith enraged that almost the entire 6th Tableau is cut from the performance, amounting to about 40 minutes of music).

The original video is of very poor quality and contained Spanish hardsubs (i.e. they are part of the video and cannot be removed).

When I did this project a couple years ago, I opted to overlay the English subs in a solid black border on top of the Spanish. The size of the text is also rather large. As such, the video is even uglier than it already was; but the English subs are at least easy to read and add greatly to a comprehension of the opera for those who speak neither German nor Spanish.

Since then, better quality videos of this same performance have come to light, so I may re-visit this in future. There have been other productions of this opera in recent years (e.g. in Paris) so hopefully a video of one of these will surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carl Nielsen - Saul and David (1986)

with custom English subtitles

This is the 1986 revival by the Royal Danish Opera in Copenhagen. The video comes from a murky, badly encoded DVD that I acquired from a grey market dealer. I did my best to improve upon it, starting with the contrast which was so low that scarce any details could be seen. There was a ten second gap in the audio near the beginning of the opera. I remedied this by substituting the exact section of music taken from an audio recording. Not the best solution, but it works. See if you can identify where it is.

The original video contains hardcoded Danish subtitles. I opted to overlay the English subs in a solid black bar over these Danish subs.

This is a wonderful production and it is a pity that it is not commercially available. The Danish baritone Leif Roar is especially impressive here.

Conductor: Sixten Ehrling
    Saul: Leif Roar
    David: Kjell Magnus Sandve
    Mikal: Eva Johansson
    Jonathan: Stig Fogh Andersen
    Samuel: Jorgen Klint
    Abner: Christian Christiansen
    Fortune-teller in Endor: Minna Nyhus
    Abisay: Elsebeth Lund
    a guard: Anders Jakobsson
    a girl: Antje Jansen

9. Thanks Aksel, HarpsichordConcerto thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the work you're doing with the subtitles and the cleaning-up of these video files is just fabulous. You're doing a real service to the opera-loving community; it's time consuming, and you do it for free. I nominate you for the Opera Lively Medal of Honor!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    "...the Opera Lively Medal of Honor!"

Ha ha. Thanks!

Schigolch
    Francis Poulenc - Les Mamelles de Tirésias

Schigolch
    François-André Danican, dit Philidor - Sancho Pança, gouverneur dans l'île de Barataria (1762):

14. Likes Nervous Gentleman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gaetano Donizetti - Rita (1962)

with English subtitles

16. Likes HarpsichordConcerto liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rita appears to be rarely recorded and performed. I have never listened to any parts of it.

Schigolch
    I watched it in the theater some years ago, with Spanish soprano María Rey-Joly singing Rita.

It's a very short opera, and a nice hearing, though it's not on the same page of other Donizetti's comedies. The entrance of Rita speaking those lines (speaking, rather than reciting, as Rita was first an opéra-comique, translated into Italian on Donizetti's orders after being rejected at Paris):

Sono davvero la donna piú felice della terra. Mi sono capitate un sacco
    di disgrazie, dunque, facciamo il punto;
    uno, mi muore il marito in un naufragio;
    due, mi brucia la casa in un incendio;
    tre, si brucia pure tutto il paese...

it's really thrilling, and set the pace for the rest of the opera.

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know Chris Maltman has been recording it lately. At least he's said so on the Twitter machine.

Schigolch
    Ciprian Porumbescu - Crai Nou (New Moon, 1882) - Operetta in Two Acts: