Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opera on TV

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Opera on TV

This is a thread for anyone to post information about forthcoming operas on TV as opposed to internet screening.

There's a satellite channel in UK called Sky Arts which regularly shows opera but I don't subscribe to Sky so I'll just post information about opera on free/terrestrial channels.

24th December 2011 BBC2

1:35 pm - 2:35 pm

Pappano's Essential Tosca

Antonio Pappano takes an in-depth look at one of the most famous and dramatic of all operas - Puccini's Tosca. This documentary goes behind the scenes of the recent production of Tosca by the Royal Opera House conducted by Pappano and starring some of the hottest names on the opera stage today - Angela Gheorghiu, Bryn Terfel and Jonas Kaufmann. Pappano examines the drama and musical language of Tosca and explores Puccini's creative genius in producing one of the greatest of theatrical experiences.

2:35 pm - 4:45 pm

Tosca from the Royal Opera House (filmed 14th and 17th July 2011)

Puccini's ever popular Tosca from the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden with a star-studded cast - Romanian soprano Angela Gheorghiu as Floria Tosca, Welsh baritone Bryn Terfel as Chief of Police, Baron Scarpia, and tenor Jonas Kaufmann as the liberal revolutionary Cavaradossi. The production is by Jonathan Kent with the Orchestra and Chorus of the Royal Opera House under the baton of Music Director Antonio Pappano. The action takes place at precise locations in Rome and spans a single day - 17th June 1800, the day Napoleon invaded Italy.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brief preview of the programme which precedes the showing of Tosca.

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    The programme preceding the broadcast was a documentary called "Pappano's Essential Tosca".

Archive footage of Puccini, brief film of Callas singing Vissi d'arte, candid shots of rehearsals & interviews with the main artists, AP visiting the locations in Rome all combined to make an interesting programme & a good apéritif.

Then on to the main course. I'm quite pleased that I feel the same as I did when I saw it live. Still a bit disappointed with Terfel, Kaufmann's voice still doesn't move me & still think Gheorghiu was wonderful. (And still think Lukas was fab). But for all that, this Tosca was special & seeing it on TV has brought back so many happy memories.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched both programmes yesterday. I found the first very informative and interesting, although I would have liked a bit more of the rehearsals and a little less wandering around Rome.

I've never seen Tosca before and I enjoyed the broadcast. I felt, as I always do with opera on TV or in the cinema, that there was a bit too much lingering on the stars in close up when there is other action on the stage. Like Sospiro, I was a little disappointed in Terfel, as I didn't feel he was in as good form as when I heard him (and saw the back of his head!) at the Royal Albert Hall in 2010. May be this was in part the fault of the TV production. Members will get to know that I am much more a fan of the lower ranges of voice, so I can't really comment on Kaufmann and Gheorghiu. I have yet to find a tenor or female singer who moves me as much as some baritones and basses.

I agree that Lukas' performance was very good. He acted the scared man-on-the-run pefectly. I hope we get to see him in bigger roles soon.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the site, Itburgundy! I'm glad to see that you're already contributing to our discussions!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.bravahdtv.com/

This satellite channel has HD quality and an enormous offer of programs...

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ltburgundy View Post
    I watched both programmes yesterday. I found the first very informative and interesting, although I would have liked a bit more of the rehearsals and a little less wandering around Rome.

I've never seen Tosca before and I enjoyed the broadcast. I felt, as I always do with opera on TV or in the cinema, that there was a bit too much lingering on the stars in close up when there is other action on the stage. Like Sospiro, I was a little disappointed in Terfel, as I didn't feel he was in as good form as when I heard him (and saw the back of his head!) at the Royal Albert Hall in 2010. May be this was in part the fault of the TV production. Members will get to know that I am much more a fan of the lower ranges of voice, so I can't really comment on Kaufmann and Gheorghiu. I have yet to find a tenor or female singer who moves me as much as some baritones and basses.

I agree that Lukas' performance was very good. He acted the scared man-on-the-run pefectly. I hope we get to see him in bigger roles soon.
    Terfel is a brilliant Scarpia in this otherwise undistinguished DVD. He is really horrible and lecherous. Pity he wasn't so on form for the ROH version.

And welcome to the forum, Itburgundy, from another low voice enthusiast.
    Natalie

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone saw Chris Hunt's documentary on Placido Domingo, called something like "P.D: My Best Roles"? It's going to be on TV today here.

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched the BBC Tosca today on the Iplayer. I thought it was very good, although the sound engineers did a good job to make Gheorghiu's voice sound a lot bigger than what it is. Kaufmann and Terfel were very impressive. Again without trying to sound boring the orchestra were amazing and I thought it was one of the best accounts of the score I have heard. Covent Garden is very lucky to have Pappano conduct the core Italian repetoire as I don't there is anyone better in the world at the moment.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxllxT View Post
    http://www.bravahdtv.com/

This satellite channel has HD quality and an enormous offer of programs...
    Oh! My! God! I'm green with envy! I looked up their schedule, and it is depressing that we don't have a channel like this in the United States!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Involved Member AnaMendoza's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Oh! My! God! I'm green with envy! I looked up their schedule, and it is depressing that we don't have a channel like this in the United States!
    I just took a look at the schedule, and I'm feeling slightly ill with jealousy, myself. The only comforting factor is: I'm not sure when I'd ever get any sleep.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    For any members with access to Sky Arts 2 channel (I understand it is also broadcast on some cable channels in the US),

Sunday 19th January 21:00 (GMT)

Callas Assoluta
    Documentary looking at the life and career of soprano Maria Callas. With so little footage of her performances remaining, the film attempts to re-create some of the singer's finest moments by examining sets, dresses, operas and archive photographs of the diva in her heyday at La Scala in the 1950s and beyond

Post Thanks / Like
    For any members with access to Sky Arts 2 channel (please click like if you do have access to give me a clue)

Monday 3rd February 2:00am GMT

The Glory of Russia: The Sights and Sounds of St Petersburg
    Renée Fleming and Dmitri Hvorostovsky explore the infuence of St Petersburg on Russian opera, and perform arias from the city's landmarks and palaces

Ooh! Wonder what arias?

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    For any members with access to Sky Arts 2 channel (please click like if you do have access to give me a clue)

Monday 3rd February 2:00am GMT

The Glory of Russia: The Sights and Sounds of St Petersburg
    Renée Fleming and Dmitri Hvorostovsky explore the infuence of St Petersburg on Russian opera, and perform arias from the city's landmarks and palaces

Ooh! Wonder what arias?
    I saw that quite a while back. A lot of Verdi (some Trovatore and Simon Boccanegra duets, as I recall), and they ended with the final scene from Eugene Onegin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah. Misled/misread.
    I thought it would be only arias from Russian operas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast