Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Operas by Mozart on DVD, blu-ray, and CD

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cosė fan Tutte on DVD - Salzburg production

This is so excellent in so many levels!
    I could subtitle it "the Patricia Petibon show" - you have to see it to believe it, she does a spectacular job. Miah and Isabel are stunningly beautiful and gifted actresses and singers. Their male counterparts do a fine job as well, not to forget the Wienner Philharmoniker.

Yep, gorgeous blu-ray with DTS sound track. Everything about this blu-ray disc is excellent. I've rarely been this content with a purchase. You gotta get it. But be aware that this one is a keeper, you won't be able to re-sell it, it's just too good to let go.

Just like my recent enthusiasm with Cecilia Bartoli's Il Turco in Italia DVD, stage directors need to take a good hard look at this one, so that they understand that you can perfectly update and modernize a setting *without* distorting the work and introducing distracting or radical ideas that appeal only to themselves. This blu-ray is the anti-Regietheater.

This production *is* Mozart's and Da Ponte's Cosi fan tutte, in spite of the modern home and modern clothes, in spite of Despina coming to work with a biker's helmet, and the people drinking Heinneken beer.

Some of the staging solutions (such as some freezing pauses, some facial expressions, some unexpected actions) are wickedly funny; I laughed out loud several times. In no other version I had realized how fine a comedy Cosi fan Tutte is.

And most importantly, musically (singing, orchestra) this production is just perfect. Acting is superlative as well, we get all the impact of the girls' foolishness, of Despina's street wise ways, of the increasingly desperate fiances, and of the Don's sadistic manipulation. All six principals played their roles to perfection; there isn't any weak link.

Glyndebourne recently did a fine Cosi, also with Miah and a young and attractive cast (I own that one as well).

Musically there isn't much of a difference, they are both good, both have excellent orchestras and solid singing, but it is elsewhere that I find superiority in the Salzburg version.

It has everything that the Glyndebourne one does, and more - especially, a much better sense of comedy. You know, when you watch an opera that you know very well, and *still* laugh out loud at the new ways they have found to be funny, that's something to be applauded. I know Cosi fan tutte upside down and inside out, and still had plenty of pleasant surprises in this production.

Eye candy factor - the girls look prettier in the Salzburg version (and Miah looks prettier than her own self at Glyndebourne). I don't know about the boys, you may feel differently. I seem to remember that the boys at Glyndebourne were good looking but I don't pay attention to boys.

Acting is better too. Far better, especially in the case of the two outside parts to the two couples - Despina and Don Alfonso (like I said, Patricia Petibon is just spectacular, and I have never seen such a wicked Don). The sibling chemistry between the two girls is uncanny, they seem more spontaneous and juvenile, more like teenagers would act in our culture - literally jumping up and down the sofa (not like Tom Cruise, hehehe). Certain solutions - like having them be drunk while they sing Guarda Sorella - were extremely clever.

I wouldn't sell my Glyndebourne.

----

PS - days after I posted this review, I ended up changing my mind and finding the Glyndebourne version to be superior, especially it's second act - the Salzburg second act is not as successful as its first act.

2. Likes Blue Miasma liked this post
    Junior Member Recent member science's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don Giovanni on CD

Hello! I have Fricsay's recording of Don Giovanni, and I'm aware that Rene Jacob's recording caused quite a sensation a while back. I wonder:

- is there a recording of Don Giovanni on CD that you consider the best?
    - is there a recording of Don Giovanni on CD that you consider the most famous?
    - is there a recording of Don Giovanni on CD that you consider your favorite?
    - are there recordings of Don Giovanni on CD that you consider historically significant?
    - are there any other recordings of Don Giovanni on CD that you consider essential?

Thank you!

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The answer to all your questions is Giulini's recording.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! You seem to be right.

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer the Rene Jacobs recording.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMike View Post
    I prefer the Rene Jacobs recording.
    I'm with you on that Dr Mike.
    Natalie

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Giulini recording had the far better singers plus I ain't HIP. Which is something I may start a thread on...

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    PS - days after I posted this review, I ended up changing my mind and finding the Glyndebourne version to be superior, especially it's second act - the Salzburg second act is not as successful as its first act.
    I haven't seen the Glyndebourne one, although it doesn't have Bo Skovhus, and so it's automatically much better. Although the Salzburg production is spectacular!

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the Glyndebourne production again today. What was I thinking when I considered Salzburg to be valid competition? The Glyndebourne is so spectacular! And the Orchestra of the Age of Enlighntenment does such a superlative job!

Basically the Glyndebourne Cosė is absolutely flawless. Six singers who can sing, can act, and look the parts. No weak links whatsoever, everybody does very well. Attractive principals. Great comedic flare. Beautiful scenarios that are simple and tasteful. Lots of space for dynamic use of the stage, and they make good use of it. Costumes are appropriate and not intrusive. The music flows at perfect pace. HIP orchestra with beautiful period instruments. Excellent conductor.

The Glyndebourne production is a lesson on how to successfuly stage an opera in every and each aspect of it. It's stuff for opera studies in music schools. It sets an example and raises the bar of standards.

Gorgeous! Spectacular! Sublime!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    I saw the Glyndebourne production again today. What was I thinking when I considered Salzburg to be valid competition? The Glyndebourne is so spectacular! And the Orchestra of the Age of Enlighntenment does such a superlative job!

Basically the Glyndebourne Cosė is absolutely flawless. Six singers who can sing, can act, and look the parts. No weak links whatsoever, everybody does very well. Attractive principals. Great comedic flare. Beautiful scenarios that are simple and tasteful. Lots of space for dynamic use of the stage, and they make good use of it. Costumes are appropriate and not intrusive. The music flows at perfect pace. HIP orchestra with beautiful period instruments. Excellent conductor.

The Glyndebourne production is a lesson on how to successfuly stage an opera in every and each aspect of it. It's stuff for opera studies in music schools. It sets an example and raises the bar of standards.

Gorgeous! Spectacular! Sublime!
    We were getting worried there for a second, perhaps having Miah Persson in both productions blinded you, it is good that now you see the light!

I recall when voting first started at that "other forum" I was thinking there would be 100% agreement on best Cosi DVD it was so impressive, I was surprised when several others voted for Salzburg Cosi also making a closer vote........

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, man, those are some obscure operas!

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw DVD anyone did this:

Fragments on YT seem promising:

And so I'm considering buying it.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have several Figaro on DVD/Blu-ray but not this one (I don't know it), so buy it and tell us what you think!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered that just a couple of days ago, it hasn't arrived yet. I'm confident it's at least fine, it was an impulse-buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    We were getting worried there for a second, perhaps having Miah Persson in both productions blinded you, it is good that now you see the light!

I recall when voting first started at that "other forum" I was thinking there would be 100% agreement on best Cosi DVD it was so impressive, I was surprised when several others voted for Salzburg Cosi also making a closer vote........
    DA, what blinded me was Isabel Leonard's cleavage.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast