Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Results 121 to 126 of 126

Thread: Operas by Mozart on DVD, blu-ray, and CD

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #121
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Has anyone got/heard either of these and if you have what do you think? The reviews on Amazon.com are very mixed.



    Le nozze di Figaro reviews



    Così fan tutte reviews

    The third part of this trilogy, Don Giovanni, is due out soon and I'd quite like to get it. The bass who sings 'Il commendatore' is Mika Kares who I saw live in Seattle singing Attila in an alternate cast. I'd gone to Seattle especially to see John Relyea sing the role but I'd also got a ticket for the alternate cast and I have to confess, I actually preferred Mika Kares' voice.



    Mika Kares



    A review of Currentzis' Mozart recordings from "The Guardian" popped up on Apple News this morning. I don't know the reviewer, who states up front that he has always loathed opera. But. But! Then he listened to the Currentzis Mozart operas and went nuts. Fascinating review. Oh, he also loves the new Don G. CD set as well, but you will need to read almost all the way thru to see what he says.

    I'm intrigued, but (of course) trust Festat way more than this guy. See what you think.

    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20..._b-aplnews_d-1

  2. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Likes Festat liked this post
  3. #122
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like
    I kinda understand how somebody who doesn't like opera could like those. It doesn't feel entirely opera-like. It constantly reminds you that it is a studio recording. Singing is generally very... intimate? Hushed perhaps. Singers occasionally will go into a quasi-whisper. The orchestra is indeed phenomenal but it is probably also the most closely miked in the recordings business. Music seems to come from a virtual vacuum and to be directly injected into your head without an intermediary. You can tell Currentzis isn't in the least interested in Così as theatrical piece in, he almost says so in the booklet — which is almost entirely dedicated to himself and how grateful we must be that he is saving Mozart from mediocrity.

    But I maintain my recommendation for Annie: go for it! I will definitely buy Don Giovanni too when it's out because I'm that guy... We can exchange impressions then!

  4. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  5. #123
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,617
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    A review of Currentzis' Mozart recordings from "The Guardian" popped up on Apple News this morning. I don't know the reviewer, who states up front that he has always loathed opera. But. But! Then he listened to the Currentzis Mozart operas and went nuts. Fascinating review. Oh, he also loves the new Don G. CD set as well, but you will need to read almost all the way thru to see what he says.

    I'm intrigued, but (of course) trust Festat way more than this guy. See what you think.

    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20..._b-aplnews_d-1
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    I kinda understand how somebody who doesn't like opera could like those. It doesn't feel entirely opera-like. It constantly reminds you that it is a studio recording. Singing is generally very... intimate? Hushed perhaps. Singers occasionally will go into a quasi-whisper. The orchestra is indeed phenomenal but it is probably also the most closely miked in the recordings business. Music seems to come from a virtual vacuum and to be directly injected into your head without an intermediary. You can tell Currentzis isn't in the least interested in Così as theatrical piece in, he almost says so in the booklet — which is almost entirely dedicated to himself and how grateful we must be that he is saving Mozart from mediocrity.

    But I maintain my recommendation for Annie: go for it! I will definitely buy Don Giovanni too when it's out because I'm that guy... We can exchange impressions then!


    Thanks guys! It's on my list.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  6. #124
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. Festat, now I'm really interested to hear what all those effects (affectations?) sound like. After you have listened to the Don G., please report back with your assessment of which of the three sets is most worthwhile. That can be the best of the three or the most exaggerated of the three - your choice.

  7. Thanks Festat thanked for this post
  8. #125
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you seen Mozart: The Magic Flute (Metropolitan Opera)? Probably yes, so I would like to apolgize for reapiting. It's absolutety adorable!
    To want to, is to be able to.

  9. Likes Amfortas liked this post
  10. #126
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by malka View Post
    Have you seen Mozart: The Magic Flute (Metropolitan Opera)? Probably yes, so I would like to apolgize for reapiting. It's absolutety adorable!
    Yes, it's a fun production; I've got the DVD.

    Welcome to the forum, malka!

  11. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS