PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Preference: Opera On DVD Versus Blu-Ray

HarpsichordConcerto
August 21st, 2012, 09:12 AM
(1) I buy the Blu-ray version regardless (assume there is also DVD version available)

(2) I buy the DVD version regardless (assume there is also Blu-ray version available)

(3) It depends on the price discount. I tend to go for the cheaper of the two at both normal and discount price.

(4) I already have the DVD version and I do re-purchase the production when it becomes available on Blu-ray

(5) DVD/Blu-ray are crap. I do not buy any of these wretched things.

(6) What is DVD, Blu-ray? I have never heard of these things.

- Public poll
- You may vote more than one

HarpsichordConcerto
August 21st, 2012, 09:15 AM
Sorry, too late now. This was supposed to be a poll. :tongue-new:

I would vote for #1.

Schigolch
August 21st, 2012, 09:20 AM
Buy the cheapest.

Soave_Fanciulla
August 21st, 2012, 09:42 AM
I don't have a Blu-ray player. And I like DVDs because I can back them up onto a hard drive. OK, 4 hard drives. I have 4TB of opera in the office in case the house burns down and takes my collection with it. I think I'm a tiny bit obsessive.

HarpsichordConcerto
August 21st, 2012, 09:57 AM
I don't have a Blu-ray player. And I like DVDs because I can back them up onto a hard drive. OK, 4 hard drives. I have 4TB of opera in the office in case the house burns down and takes my collection with it. I think I'm a tiny bit obsessive.

That is impressive and rigorous risk management, not at all obsessive.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
August 21st, 2012, 10:22 AM
For me it's number one. The price difference is usually negligible when it exists - in certain cases the blu-ray can even be cheaper - and I don't see why I should settle for less good sound and image quality if I can have the superior product. But I don't go as far as re-purchasing operas I already have on DVD when they are released on blu-ray, because the difference in quality is not that huge (assuming that it is a technically well done DVD) to justify the extra-expense; I'd rather use the same money to buy another opera that I don't have.

Dark_Angel
August 21st, 2012, 12:21 PM
Blu Ray "almost" always when available.....
For new productions native 1080p picture quality, superior sound, better color and greater disc data capacity give it clear advantage over DVD format. Older operas remastered to blu ray the advantage may not be much depending on quailty of original master

I will not pay crazy prices for a new 1 disc blu ray release, must be close to $20 or less.....will not pay over $25

Blu ray can sometimes be cheaper than DVD two disc set since it can fit on a single blu ray disc

I do replace some of my favorite existing DVDs with blu ray, I sell the DVD to offset cost of superior blu ray version

Oppo 93 is my blu ray player, love it!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31DNb9d%2BawL._AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B004BLK24S/ref=dp_otherviews_2?ie=UTF8&img=2&s=electronics)

Amfortas
August 21st, 2012, 02:32 PM
DVDs. I'm poor. (We're not just talking the cost of Blu-rays, but also the cost of an HD TV).

Aramis
August 21st, 2012, 02:35 PM
DVDs for me too, I'm afraid of these mysterious blu rays, how can I be sure that at some point they won't burst out from the disc and pierce me?

Ann Lander (sospiro)
August 21st, 2012, 07:30 PM

:laugh4:

At the moment I can't afford to replace my DVDs with Blu-rays + get a Blu-ray player as well.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
August 21st, 2012, 08:24 PM
DVDs for me too, I'm afraid of these mysterious blu rays, how can I be sure that at some point they won't burst out from the disc and pierce me?
You can't. They pierce me all the time. But in a very pleasant way. Ahhhhhh.....

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
August 21st, 2012, 08:26 PM
:laugh4:

At the moment I can't afford to replace my DVDs with Blu-rays + get a Blu-ray player as well.

Blu-ray players in America (not the high end kind like DA's) are cheap. There are combo sales that even give them away for free. If not, they can be had for $60.

HarpsichordConcerto
August 21st, 2012, 09:09 PM
I also resist re-purchasing the Blu-ray version if I already have the DVD version. The other point about price difference between the two is I don't think there is much difference. When the sale comes (normal and deep discounts), I notice half the time both are priced identically and when they are not, Blu-ray is only marginally higher by a few dollars (less than US$5 difference, say), which is one reason I haul them when the sale comes.

I estimate about 70% of my collection is DVD, which I think is a fantastic medium, and the rest Blu-ray. My last haul from a deep discount sale are all DVDs (though I checked to make sure each had no Blu-ray version available before buying).

Edited: 70% on DVD; thanks Almaviva

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
August 21st, 2012, 09:15 PM
I also resist re-purchasing the Blu-ray version if I already have the DVD version. The other point about price difference between the two is I don't think there is much difference. When the sale comes (normal and deep discounts), I notice half the time both are priced identically and when they are not, Blu-ray is only marginally higher by a few dollars (less than US$5 difference, say), which is one reason I haul them when the sale comes.

I estimate about 30% of my collection is DVD, which I think is a fantastic medium, and the rest Blu-ray. My last haul from a deep discount sale are all DVDs (though I checked to make sure each had no Blu-ray version available before buying).

Wow. Most of my collection is on DVD because there aren't that many blu-rays available.70% of yours is blu-ray??

HarpsichordConcerto
August 21st, 2012, 09:19 PM
I'm getting old. Sorry, I edited above. I meant to say 70% on DVD. (I wish it was 70% on Blu-ray).

Dark_Angel
August 22nd, 2012, 02:34 AM
The other point about price difference between the two is I don't think there is much difference. When the sale comes (normal and deep discounts), I notice half the time both are priced identically and when they are not, Blu-ray is only marginally higher by a few dollars (less than US$5 difference, say), which is one reason I haul them when the sale comes.

For me it's number one. The price difference is usually negligible when it exists - in certain cases the blu-ray can even be cheaper - and I don't see why I should settle for less good sound and image quality if I can have the superior product. But I don't go as far as re-purchasing operas I already have on DVD when they are released on blu-ray, because the difference in quality is not that huge (assuming that it is a technically well done DVD) to justify the extra-expense; I'd rather use the same money to buy another opera that I don't have.

On multi DVD sets blu ray is very competitive price since it requires fewer discs.....for example new MET Ring at Amazon USA almost same price in either format since DVD uses 8 discs vs 5 discs in blu ray set

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51za4fETjRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Schigolch
May 15th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I've just watched my first opera in Blu-Ray. Not a big deal for me.