PDA

View Full Version : Retired and ready to explore my much loved Opera

rclarke6
September 29th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Hello to all, as you can see by my title, I am newly retired from 50 years of Aviation Electronics and now I have the time to travel and enjoy the Opera's I have loved for many years. By joining forums like this I hope to learn from those of you that have loved Opera and studied it and enjoy passing that knowledge on to others of like mind. I look forward to many interesting discussions, thank you very much...:) By the way, I have a picture on my profile but it doesn't seem to want to show in this forum...:(

Aksel
September 29th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I think you need like 10 posts or something to be allowed to add an avatar.

But welcome to the forum! What are your operatic preferences?

Ann Lander (sospiro)
September 29th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Hello & welcome to the forum.

Do you have a favourite composer or era?

Soave_Fanciulla
September 29th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Hellp and welcome. Look forward to discussing favourite operas with you!

HarpsichordConcerto
September 29th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Welcome! OperaLively is a sanctuary for all opera lovers.

rclarke6
September 29th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Thank you for the reply, My Preferences at this time are primarily the Italian composers, Puccini, Verdi, Donizetti, Bellini, etc., However I don't confine myself to just Italian composers. I enjoy Opera's by Strauss, Mozart, and others. I try to watch different Operas and form my opinions over a period of time. My favorite composers are of course Levine at the Met, sorry that he is about to retire, Muti is another, also Barenboim and I really like Zubin Mehta Quite a lot. I am aware of my limited Knowledge of Opera and really look forward to learning a lot from as many of you as I can.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
September 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Thank you for the reply, My Preferences at this time are primarily the Italian composers, Puccini, Verdi, Donizetti, Bellini, etc., However I don't confine myself to just Italian composers. I enjoy Opera's by Strauss, Mozart, and others. I try to watch different Operas and form my opinions over a period of time. My favorite composers are of course Levine at the Met, sorry that he is about to retire, Muti is another, also Barenboim and I really like Zubin Mehta Quite a lot. I am aware of my limited Knowledge of Opera and really look forward to learning a lot from as many of you as I can.

Nobody here worries about how much knowledge anyone else has, what we've got in common is passion & enthusiasm.

Great to meet another fan of Italian composers. Verdi is my favourite & I visited your beautiful city in January (in the snow!) to see Attila. Did you see it? I had a wonderful time & would love to go back.

rclarke6
September 29th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Annie,
No I wasn't able to see Attila or others that I would have liked to see because of the nature of my work, however now that I am Retired I will have the time to be able to see them.

So glad that you liked Seattle, One of the rare times that there was snow...:)

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
September 30th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Hello to all, as you can see by my title, I am newly retired from 50 years of Aviation Electronics and now I have the time to travel and enjoy the Opera's I have loved for many years. By joining forums like this I hope to learn from those of you that have loved Opera and studied it and enjoy passing that knowledge on to others of like mind. I look forward to many interesting discussions, thank you very much...:) By the way, I have a picture on my profile but it doesn't seem to want to show in this forum...:(

Welcome to Opera Lively, rclarke6 (again).

(No, Aksel, there is no posting limit for avatars. All registered members are authorized to use avatars from the very beginning).

What happened, rclarke6, is that you uploaded your picture to your profile, not to your avatar. The profile picture only shows when people click on your profile. The avatar picture is the one that shows up when you post. These are two different functions, and you can have a different picture for each of these functions if you so desire.

I've fixed this issue for you (basically what I did is that I uploaded to your avatar, the same picture you had uploaded to your profile).

We're glad to have you. It's nice to get more people from Seattle, where we already have a couple of active members, and where you guys have a very good opera company, so we look forward to your reviews of the local productions.

About level of knowledge, like Annie (sospiro) said, don't worry. We have all kinds. From absolute beginners meeting opera for the first time, to fans of various levels of experience from small to medium to large, to true experts (like our administrator Schigolch), scholars, and even operatic professionals (we have among our members some singers, stage directors, voice professors, and musicologists with doctoral degrees - although our professional members tend to be very busy and don't post very often). And we also have all age groups, from 13 to 80-something. So it's the entire gamut. And this entire community interacts with no trace of snobbery or arrogance.

This is one of the most friendly and civil venues in the Internet, and we are *extremely* committed to keeping it this way. It's our hallmark; we're proud of our friendly environment, and attempts to deviate from these high standards of civility by some very rare bad apples (most people here are very, very nice) have been severely curtailed by our competent and experienced moderation team.

So, discuss to your heart's content; you came to the right place!

rclarke6
September 30th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Almaviva, Thank you so much for your kind reply and also for correcting my mistake. In the future I will try to look more closely at the instructions so things like that won't happen again. I have a lot of reading to do now in the forum and it will take me a little while , however I hope to be active in the discussions very soon.

Festat
September 30th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Welcome! :)

Herkku
September 30th, 2012, 10:19 PM
A hearty welcome from Finland as well! I checked the latitudes and Seattle is something like 47 N whereas I live in the neighbourhood of our capital, Helsinki, which is 60 N. And I always thought Seattle was kind of northern. It rains a lot there though, or is it another illusion?

Everybody has tried to give you the impression that we are not too finicky here, but I think you meant conductors instead of composers when you mentioned Levine, Muti, Barenboim and Mehta. :pirate:

Arjenvs
September 30th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Welcome rclarke6, a very nice goal as a retiree, enjoying the opera's you have always loved!

rclarke6
September 30th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Herkku, you are exactly correct, I did in fact mean Conductors and thank you for pointing that out to me. The older I get the more things like that happen to me..hahaha. Yes it does rain quite a bit here although we are coming out of quite a long dry spell right now which is very unusual for us. Thank you for the welcome..:) I thank all of you for the very nice welcome..:)

Couchie
October 2nd, 2012, 01:13 AM
Hi, etc. :hifive:

I'll be running around your city eating children for a week in August, if I'm not too busy with that I might observe the Ring cycle. Can you recommend affordable hotels either in walking distance/public transportationable from McCaw Hall? Is the monorail a real thing or just for show?

rclarke6
October 2nd, 2012, 02:24 AM
Couchie,
Hahaha....eating children, that's funny:) The monorail is a real thing when it is running, and as of this writing I am not sure if its running, its old and I think they are gonna shut it down, but will have to check to make sure. I don't stay in hotels in the city so I will also check on that for you although McCaw Hall is a little way from downtown and I don't remember Hotels within walking distance. Perhaps a short Cab ride from downtown. I will check and get back to you. Thank you for the welcome..:)

Elektra
October 2nd, 2012, 02:43 PM
Welcome!

rclarke6
October 2nd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Elektra,
Thank you for the welcome..:)