PDA

View Full Version : Very New to Opera but Interest Rapidly Rising

mmsbls
October 4th, 2012, 05:18 PM
About one year ago I had heard only 1 opera (La Boheme). This past year I've heard more than 15 (all recorded). The majority of these have been through the PBS Live at the MET programming. My daughter, a music student, has been the stimulus for my interest. She took a course in The Ring and adores Wagner. I had previously loved Wagner's preludes and overtures but never heard an opera until I tried Tristan. Afterwards I listened to the Liebestod over and over.

My favorite composer has been Mozart ever since I began listening to classical music, but I had never heard any of his operas (except parts in Amadeus). After seeing The Marriage of Figaro, Don Giovanni, and Cosė fan tutte, I fell in love again.

I've heard some operas that I did not especially enjoy, but most have been quite fun. I loved Carmen and also saw the recent pastiche, The Enchanted Island, which I thought was funny, beautiful, and compelling. While I can easily listen to a huge amount of non-operatic classical music throughout the day, opera requires setting aside significant time so the going is much slower. Anyway my journey has started, and I expect to find much more that I will treasure.

To those who are TalkClassical members: I am the same mmsbls (I doubt there are 2 :)).

Ann Lander (sospiro)
October 4th, 2012, 06:18 PM
About one year ago I had heard only 1 opera (La Boheme). This past year I've heard more than 15 (all recorded). The majority of these have been through the PBS Live at the MET programming. My daughter, a music student, has been the stimulus for my interest. She took a course in The Ring and adores Wagner. I had previously loved Wagner's preludes and overtures but never heard an opera until I tried Tristan. Afterwards I listened to the Liebestod over and over.

My favorite composer has been Mozart ever since I began listening to classical music, but I had never heard any of his operas (except parts in Amadeus). After seeing The Marriage of Figaro, Don Giovanni, and Cosė fan tutte, I fell in love again.

I've heard some operas that I did not especially enjoy, but most have been quite fun. I loved Carmen and also saw the recent pastiche, The Enchanted Island, which I thought was funny, beautiful, and compelling. While I can easily listen to a huge amount of non-operatic classical music throughout the day, opera requires setting aside significant time so the going is much slower. Anyway my journey has started, and I expect to find much more that I will treasure.

Welcome to the forum! I love reading about other people's opera journeys & it looks like you've made a great start. How interesting that you're developing your passion because of your daughter, it's usually the other way round.

To those who are TalkClassical members: I am the same mmsbls (I doubt there are 2 :)).

You'll find lots of familiar faces/names on here!

HarpsichordConcerto
October 4th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Welcome. Have we met before, per chance? The manner is familiar, as is the the name.

Mozart's operas would be your best bet to begin with. These are core repertoire, and represent Mozart's best music. Many of us here can recommend a few versions of each on recordings if you like (CD, DVD, Blu-ray).

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
October 5th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Wow, welcome to Opera Lively, buddy. I'm very glad that you've joined. You were one of my favorite posters in that other site - hear, hear, folks, we got an intelligent, articulate, insightful, and knowledgeable member in mmsbls! He's always a pleasure to read - and I'm doubly excited with the fact that now you're growing an interest for opera!

And please do notice that we have a non-operatic classical music forum, so you can also treat us to your great posts about other genres of classical music.

Soave_Fanciulla
October 5th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Hello and welcome to Opera Lively.

You know me by another name elsewhere - check my profile and you'll see from my avatar!

mmsbls
October 5th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! With all the TC members here, I feel at home already.

Aksel
October 5th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Hello there! And welcome to the forum!

Elektra
October 7th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Welcome!

Sonata
June 6th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Glad you like Mozart operas!! By all means continue digging in to some of his less well-known ones. I couldn't get enough after the big four and found that he continued to please me musically even in some of the operas from his youth. Also look into his "concert arias".