PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Ring Warrior
October 4th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Hi
My name is Andy and I live in the UK. I have been an opera goer for a few years and try to get to performances whenever my busy lifestyle allows. Regular at ENO and RH but also try to hang a city break around a performance and have recently taken in Tosca at both Berlin and Stockholm houses and Anna Bolena in New York (dissapointing!).Love the Bel canto repertoire, Mozart and the Russians. Looking forward to a Bastien & Bastienne/Mozart and Salieri double bill and L'esir d'amore at Covent Garden in the next few weeks. Can't decide if I am going to Julius Ceaser at ENO because I loved the Glyndebourne production and don't want to be dissapointed. What do you think?

Amfortas
October 4th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Welcome to the forum, Andy! I hope we'll see you around frequently.

Can't advise you on Giulio Cesare, but I agree the Glyndebourne production was incredible. :)

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
October 5th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Hi
My name is Andy and I live in the UK. I have been an opera goer for a few years and try to get to performances whenever my busy lifestyle allows. Regular at ENO and RH but also try to hang a city break around a performance and have recently taken in Tosca at both Berlin and Stockholm houses and Anna Bolena in New York (dissapointing!).Love the Bel canto repertoire, Mozart and the Russians. Looking forward to a Bastien & Bastienne/Mozart and Salieri double bill and L'esir d'amore at Covent Garden in the next few weeks. Can't decide if I am going to Julius Ceaser at ENO because I loved the Glyndebourne production and don't want to be dissapointed. What do you think?

Welcome to Opera Lively. Some of our European members with experience with the opera houses you've quoted are better equipped than I am to issue opinions on the ENO, ROH, and other European companies. Jflatter, sospiro, Aksel, Schigolch... are some of our European-based members who regularly attend these performances in person.

From a distance and seeing some productions on DVD, blu-ray, or live streaming, I must say that Glyndebourne will always be hard to beat, since in my opinion they are extremely - I mean, really really extremely - high quality in their attention to detail, careful rehearsing, good casts, and good stagings. My admiration for that house is immense. So yes, seeing something done by them and then going right after that to see the same opera done elsewhere does carry the risk of disappointment. However, I've generally liked a lot the few productions I've seen from the ROH, so they are indeed worthy competitors, of course. With ENO I have very limited experience, and I confess that I'm somewhat prejudiced against them because generally speaking I don't like opera in translation, so whenever what they show is not English or American, their productions of non-English language original operas that get performed in English generally irk me. But I acknowledge that this prejudice is not shared by some people who are more enlightened than I am in this regard (for example, maybe the biggest expert we've ever brought to our web site, musicologist Dr. Phillip Gossett, doesn't mind opera in translation at all).

Soave_Fanciulla
October 5th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Hi
Can't decide if I am going to Julius Ceaser at ENO because I loved the Glyndebourne production and don't want to be dissapointed. What do you think?

Hi Andy and welcome.

I've been reading up the reviews on Julius Caesar and it seems like a dud, but because of that there might be some deals. If I were in London though I'd go anyway just for the sake of seeing Tim Mead's creepy Ptolemy (seen below in this production with his croquet mallets and dead giraffe tongue).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/3418_529804907035903_1455002868_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/644117_529804533702607_1934642538_n.jpg

Ann Lander (sospiro)
October 5th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Hi Andy & welcome to the forum, looking forward to chatting with another UK resident.

Unfortunately I've never been to ENO but hope that will change. Glyndebourne is usually very good so I'd be interested to read your review if you go.

Aksel
October 5th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Hi Andy! Welcome to the forum!

The pictures I've seen of ENO's Julius Caesar so far look like they've been taken directly out of Parterre's Regie Quiz. So my guess is it's nothing like the veritable fun-fest that was the Glyndebourne production. But on the other hand there's Lawrence Zazzo, Tim Mead and Patricia Bardon singing Caesar, Ptolemy and Cornelia, so the singing should be good.

Soave_Fanciulla
October 7th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Hi Andy and welcome.

I've been reading up the reviews on Julius Caesar and it seems like a dud, but because of that there might be some deals.

Here they are: http://www.lastminute.com/site/entertainment/event-product.html?skin=engb.lastminute.com&eventID=919599871-1

HarpsichordConcerto
October 7th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Welcome to the forum. Th ENO production as far as staging was concerned, just looked wrong and tasteless.

Elektra
October 7th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Hi and welcome!