PDA

View Full Version : Mariinsky label under Gergiev: CD of 1812 overture, Moscow Cantata, Marche Slave, others

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
November 3rd, 2012, 05:04 AM
The Mariinsky Theater now has its own label. They have released several CDs, and I got this one, which is recorded in the Super Audio CD format (which I do have in my car stereo).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Bzu2MTdPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hm... mixed thoughts. Canons and bells are missing; instead we get some sort of electronic boom that shakes my car's interior air and causes a strange aural feeling (like a change in pressure similar when you are flying). Sound engineering is not great.

The Moscow Cantata is rarely recorded and it is nice, might be a reason to buy this. There are some obscure pieces for the collector. The other well known pieces are probably better represented elsewhere. Neat packaging, though, and I got my copy signed by the Maestro.

I guess for us vocal music lovers it's recommended thanks to the Moscow Cantata, but not highly recommended.

HarpsichordConcerto
November 3rd, 2012, 08:30 AM
Canons and bells are missing; instead we get some sort of electronic boom that shakes my car's interior air and causes a strange aural feeling (like a change in pressure similar when you are flying)...

It's not right not having canons and bells. Those were specified by Tchaikovsky and most recordings allow for them one way or another.

It was funny reading your review about shaking your car's interior! You must have had it on quite loud. Many folks like listening to this piece loud.