PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

zeebeedeezigns
January 5th, 2013, 04:23 PM
I'm a new member and found this site during a web search inquiring about rare opera recordings. My husband and I recently acquired his father's mostly opera and classical album collection and other recordings. We have two storage shelves in our house and still about 10 boxes of albums not put onto shelves. Many of these albums were handed down to him by his grandmother's in the late 1940's and 1950's. Most of these recordings are all in mint condition and we don't know what to do or how to research their value. We've been considering converting them to digital form and then selling the original recordings but don't know where or how to start getting a good value on them, etc.

Any members on here that could direct us in what is the best thing to do would be so helpful. Our house is too small to keep all of them.

Our house is very much into music and our oldest daughter's chorus group has gone to a dress rehearsal of an opera last year and she loved the live performance. We are hoping one of the children will take an interest in wanting to listen to some of the operas/classical to expand their horizons.

I'm also an adult American Girl doll collector that enjoys sewing in my spare time and I work full time as a medical transcriptionist for a local hospital.

Amfortas
January 5th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Wecome to the forum, zeebeedeezigns!

Ann Lander (sospiro)
January 6th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Hello zeebeedeezigns and welcome to the forum

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
January 6th, 2013, 02:38 PM
I'm a new member and found this site during a web search inquiring about rare opera recordings. My husband and I recently acquired his father's mostly opera and classical album collection and other recordings. We have two storage shelves in our house and still about 10 boxes of albums not put onto shelves. Many of these albums were handed down to him by his grandmother's in the late 1940's and 1950's. Most of these recordings are all in mint condition and we don't know what to do or how to research their value. We've been considering converting them to digital form and then selling the original recordings but don't know where or how to start getting a good value on them, etc.

Any members on here that could direct us in what is the best thing to do would be so helpful. Our house is too small to keep all of them.

Our house is very much into music and our oldest daughter's chorus group has gone to a dress rehearsal of an opera last year and she loved the live performance. We are hoping one of the children will take an interest in wanting to listen to some of the operas/classical to expand their horizons.

I'm also an adult American Girl doll collector that enjoys sewing in my spare time and I work full time as a medical transcriptionist for a local hospital.

Hi, zeebeedeezigns, welcome to Opera Lively.

If eventually you decide to sell your material, probably there will be a somewhat limited market for it given that these days turntables are becoming rarer and many labels are re-releasing old recordings that have been professionally remastered into CD format, but certainly some collectors may get interested, if they know exactly what recordings you have. I suggest that you organize a list that specifies opera, conductor, orchestra, year of recording, whether it is live or studio, and main singers for each recording, and post it in our Classifieds section (the only part of the site where such initiatives are allowed).

For the transfer from vinyl to CD, I'm sure you're aware that there are several options, from simple devices that do it to mp3 files that then you can burn into a disc (you hook-up these devices to a computer) - they cost as little as $19 - to better ones that use USB and cost $32 - to turntables with USB output or with built-in conversion ($60 to $90), to the more sophisticated turntables with built-in CD burner, and these are more expensive, some $220 to 250. Here is a link with some of these devices: [click here (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=transfer+from+vinyl+to+cd)].

Best, Alma