PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Washington, DC

Hoffmann
January 11th, 2013, 04:45 PM
This is my first post on OL - I've been reading through some of the different forum discussions/threads and articles for a couple of weeks, and now that I am thoroughly intimidated by the level of knowledge of the members, have decided to try and attempt some postings. I have to say that I what first caught my attention here was the serious posting on "Die Tote Stadt", one of my favorites.

My opera background is mostly limited to live performances - for a long time, my attention span needed the visual accompanying the singing, and therefore was never long enough to sit and listen to recordings. I saw my first performance (Tales of Hoffmann) at the Komische Oper in (then) East Berlin as a college student in 1972. My second performance was when the Deutsche Oper brought Lohengrin (and others) to the Kennedy Center in 1975. This really stunning production and performance (with Rene Kollo) cemented my interest in opera for the long term. Washington was a particularly good opera town in the 1970s - the Kennedy Center also brought in La Scala, Paris Opera and Vienna (with which I had the awesome experience of supering in their productions of Fidelio, Ariadne and Figaro - I was, however, much too slight to serve as a foot soldier with my shirt off in Salome). I also supered with the Met at Wolf Trap in the late 70s, standing next to Jon Vickers singing "Esultate" in full voice, which still rings such that I haven't heard Otello sung 'properly' since.

I retired about 6 months ago and although I am still in the discovery period of how to spend my time, have found that I have much more time to spend attending and listening to opera than before. My retirement present to myself was to travel to Munich for my first Ring Cycle at the Bayerische Staatsoper this past July. A couple of weeks ago, I saw the December 26 performance of Les Troyens at the Met, and am heading to Chicago next month for Meistersinger and then on to Berlin for their new Ring in April. Increasingly, I am spending more time with recordings, enjoying them on my iPod while taking long walks around DC.

AnaMendoza
January 11th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Greetings and welcome! You're right--we have some members with spectacular knowledge of opera--but don't ever let that intimidaate you. This is one of the nicest bunch of people you'll find on the Internet.

I'd love to hear more about the operas you're seeing--and more about what it was like being a super.

Soave_Fanciulla
January 11th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Welcome! What wonderful experiences you have to share with us!

Ann Lander (sospiro)
January 11th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Welcome to Opera Lively Hoffmann. I'm so pleased you've found our site & look forward to your contributions.

You don't need to worry about your level of knowledge, the only thing which matters here is love of the genre.

Amfortas
January 11th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Hi Hoffmann! Welcome to the Forum!

Glad to hear you feel intimidated. I'm tired of being alone here.

Aksel
January 12th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Hi, Hoffmann! Love those stories of yours!

Welcome to the forum!

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
January 12th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Wow, it's great to have a new member like you. Welcome!
And please, don't feel intimidated. We have members in all sorts of different stages regarding their journey through opera, from beginners to scholars, and everything in between. Myself, I'm a long-term opera lover but without any sophisticated/professional knowledge (I'm not a musician), and I learn a lot from other members.

Hoffmann
January 12th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the welcome.

tyroneslothrop
March 11th, 2013, 02:50 AM
Greetings! I too am from Washington, DC. In fact, as one of the two Met HD Ambassador for the DC area, as part of the Met's outreach activities, the two of us have just launched a Met Opera community in the DC area and will inaugurate this happy event with a party! If you live in DC and love opera, we'd love to have you join our community. For more info, see: Announcement of new Met Opera community in Washington, DC (http://operalively.com/forums/content.php/786-Met-Opera-community-in-Washington-DC)

Come and enjoy opera in general and Met opera in particular in a community of like-minded folks! :conductor:

cincykid
September 9th, 2013, 10:22 PM
I'm new as well, and also living in DC! I wrote the libretto for the In Series production of "Abduction from the Seraglio" that just opened last night at the Source on 14th St. NW I hope you'll come and see it! Here's a review with a description of my English adaptation. Hope to see you there. http://www.dcmetrotheaterarts.com/2013/09/09/the-in-series-abduction-from-the-seraglio/