PDA

View Full Version : New member from "the other" board :)

Sonata
June 5th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Hello!

I remember almaviva from his days over someplace else on internet land :) I was talking to some board-mates just yesterday saying, you know, I miss alma. He was very nice and knowledgeable. Well they were kind enough to nudge me over in this direction.

My background: I'm 31, mother of a 3 year old boy, and a 10 month old little girl. I've been married to my high school sweetheart for the past 9 years. I am a family practice physician assistant. Over Christmas my husband and I took a big plunge and bought a piano, and after 30 years of believing I was meant to listen to music but unable to play it, I am taking piano lessons and absolutely loving it.

I came to discover opera almost three years ago, actually while I was on maternity leave with my little boy. Alma and the gang were very friendly and knowledgeable....although poor alma was rather vexed by my way of going about opera ;). I am a music lover first and foremost. I dig into libretti or videos every now and again, but really 98% of my opera is pure listening. Either to highlights, or if the music is good enough, then the whole thing.

Over on "that other" board you'll hear me gush about the likes of Mahler, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Ravel. But this is an opera forum first and foremost. Far and away my favorite opera composers are Mozart and Puccini. Puccini was my gateway into opera, the first for whom I listened to full operas. I found the aria Senza Mama on an opera highlights album, and soon adored Suor Angelica. Madama Butterfly and Turandot soon followed. Mozart.....well I liked some of his works in a casual, obligatory way that many new classical music seem to have. THEN I discovered his operas and I suddenly understood what all the fuss about this guy was about!! I've heard the "Big Four" as well as Zaide and Il Re Pastore, and will be hearing more!

Sorry for the super long intro post. I look forward to being here :)

Soave_Fanciulla
June 5th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Hello Sonata

Welcome to OL!

Ann Lander (sospiro)
June 5th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Welcome Sonata ;)

Schigolch
June 5th, 2013, 07:12 AM
While it's true this forum is first and foremost about Opera, there is also a board devoted to other classical genres.

Welcome!.

Amfortas
June 5th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Welcome, Sonata!

While I'm more of a Wagnerian, I do have a secret love for Suor Angelica. But don't tell anyone!

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
June 5th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Like I've said by Visitor's Message and Private Message, welcome Sonata, and of course I remember you and I'm very glad that you've joined Opera Lively!

Jephtha
June 5th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Welcome, Sonata!

Hilltroll72
June 6th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Glad to see you found your way, Sonata. The opera crystal in your personality should grow due to the stimulus.