PDA

View Full Version : Librettist, new to forum!

cincykid
September 9th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Hello, everyone. While a newcomer to the forum, I've been attending opera since I was a child. Initially, I had to be dragged by my mother! Later, I ushered at the Cincinnati Summer Opera while they were performing in the outdoor pavilion at the zoo. I saw many magnificent performances there, including Beverly Sills and Norman Treigle starring in "Tales of Hoffman." Treigle was my favorite, an astounding singer and actor, who died much too soon. Sadly, there is little on video but his "Hoffman" performance, as well as a few others, are available on audio recordings.
Ten years ago, I wrote my first English libretto, or at least, the lyrics to the libretto of an In Series production of "Marriage of Figaro" set in Las Vegas, which premiered in DC in 2006 and was produced by Poor Richard's Opera in Philadelphia as part of the Philly Fringe. I've collaborated with Mozart and the In Series on several additional productions, the most recent of which opened last night. It's an adaptation of "Abduction from the Seraglio" which I've set in the Wild West in the late 1800s. The plot now involves British actress Lillie Langtry (Constanze) who has been kidnapped by her obsessed admirer, Judge Roy Bean (Selim). While the two never actually met, his obsession with her was real.
I look forward to enjoying reading and writing posts on this forum!

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
September 10th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Welcome to Opera Lively, cincykid.

Hoffmann
September 10th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Hi Cincykid!

I'm from DC, and live in the Bloomingdale neighborhood. I had never heard of the 'In Series', and will try and catch a performance next week after I get back from a trip to New England. I hope it goes well.

Soave_Fanciulla
September 10th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Welcome to the forum!

cincykid
September 10th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Hello, Hoffman!
Here's a link with more information: www.inseries.org. I hope you get the chance to see "Abduction." It's a lot of fun!

Amfortas
September 10th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Welcome to the forum, cincykid. Maybe you'll meet an aspiring composer here, and the rest will be history!

Ann Lander (sospiro)
September 11th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Hello cincykid & welcome to the forum. I think it's fabulous how the combination of words & music creates something magical.