PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Berkhamsted, UK

Clayton
September 24th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Hello to all the Opera Lively community.:tiphat:
I stumbled across this wonderful website whilst researching some information on a recording and am looking forward very much to reading the articles and opinions of all the members. I'm afraid that I am not very knowledgeable so that it will be more take than give but I am excited to learn.
I enjoyed opera as a student (student memories are more of the standby queue at Covent Garden than lectures or parties) but after that unfortunately the work/life balance was very much miscalculated and there was no time for music at all! :noway:
Happily I have now been able to redress this by taking a few years off work and whilst I consider a second career, my life is now filled with Opera, gardening and cricket (in that order)!:excitement:
I am mostly enjoying Donizetti, Bellini and Verdi at the moment and am sure will be asking for all your advice and opinions in the future.
Thank you,
Clayton.
P.S. The registration and this introduction message has taken me almost 2 hours as I have also been listening to Ernani and so have not been able to think clearly at all.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
September 24th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Hello Clayton & welcome to the forum. It's great to be a member of multi-national community but it's very nice to have another Brit on board! :tiphat:

We're all at different levels so don't feel you have to stay silent. No question about opera is ever a silly question, but be prepared to get 57 opinions!

And nice to have a cricket fan as well. What do think about the omission of Graham Onions? :upset:

Soave_Fanciulla
September 24th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Hello Clayton, and welcome. Glad you have some time to take in the IMPORTANT things in life.

Clayton
September 24th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Hello Clayton & welcome to the forum. It's great to be a member of multi-national community but it's very nice to have another Brit on board! :tiphat:

We're all at different levels so don't feel you have to stay silent. No question about opera is ever a silly question, but be prepared to get 57 opinions!

And nice to have a cricket fan as well. What do think about the omission of Graham Onions? :upset:

Thank you for the welcome.

I will try not to be too self-conscious when asking or giving an opinion!

With regard to the squad selection...
I was disappointed when he wasn't played at Durham during the summer series; so much so that I agreed with Geoff that even if he was selected for the winter, he should decline saying he was too old to be a drinks carrier. Now he actually hasn't been included, I am just confused. He has a great style and dimension not offered by the "giants" Tremlett and Finn that would be good for the Aussie wickets and the overly-promoted-so-I-can't-mention-the-brand-name-K-ball! Also I understand he has been showing good form this summer...

However I don't want to corrupt this site with too much cricket (well not on my first few posts) so I will mention that today I also enjoyed Don Pasquale and Pagliacci.

Clayton
September 24th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Hello Clayton, and welcome. Glad you have some time to take in the IMPORTANT things in life.

Hello and thank you for the welcome.

I understand now better about life balance and have prioritized Opera, Gardening and Cricket. Now if I can only figure out how to combine these in the best way...

Soave_Fanciulla
September 24th, 2013, 10:20 PM
I understand now better about life balance and have prioritized Opera, Gardening and Cricket. Now if I can only figure out how to combine these in the best way...

Mozart's La finta Giardiniera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_finta_giardiniera), in a production that recasts the count as a fading cricketing great, renamed "Il Contino Cipolle (https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=cipolle&client=firefox-a&hs=NqH&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=FBBCUu21GIa_kgWKyIGABw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=698&dpr=1.25)" and unhinged into domestic fury by his deselection from the English team.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
September 24th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Hello and thank you for the welcome.

Hello, Clayton, and welcome to Opera Lively. Like our good sospiro said, over here we make a point of being welcoming and not arrogant or snobbish, so we learn with each other and couldn't care less if someone is a beginner or a seasoned listener.

About cricket, if you want to talk more about it, that's no problem at all - we do have an "off-topic" section where one of the threads is Sports. While of course we mostly talk about opera here, there is space for other topics. When we have a long-standing community people sometimes want to chat with their pen-pals about other matters and we welcome it (except that our rules ban religion and politics - you know, these often destroy friendships more than create them so we feel there are other Internet venues for these and we are not one of them).

So, the bottom line is that we look forward to your contributions, be them about opera, gardening, or cricket. :encouragement:

Clayton
September 25th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Mozart's La finta Giardiniera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_finta_giardiniera), in a production that recasts the count as a fading cricketing great, renamed "Il Contino Cipolle (https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=cipolle&client=firefox-a&hs=NqH&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=FBBCUu21GIa_kgWKyIGABw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=698&dpr=1.25)" and unhinged into domestic fury by his deselection from the English team.

Now that is a production that would be very attractive! I have to propose this to the Garsington Opera at the Wormsley Estate which would be a wholly suitable venue; Opera, Gardens and Cricket! (Now I promise that is my last mention of that triad).

Clayton
September 25th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Thank you for your warm welcome.

I hope to be able to contribute fairly to the Opera Lively community as best as I can in the future. However I shall remind myself, as my wife does for me on occasion with a subtle (but sharp) nudge under the dinner table, about appropriate conversation lengths for cricket.

On a separate subject; I enjoyed the quote on the end of your message, "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky). My curiosity for music by Stravinsky has been aroused.

Soave_Fanciulla
September 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Thank you for your warm welcome.

I hope to be able to contribute fairly to the Opera Lively community as best as I can in the future. However I shall remind myself, as my wife does for me on occasion with a subtle (but sharp) nudge under the dinner table, about appropriate conversation lengths for cricket.

On a separate subject; I enjoyed the quote on the end of your message, "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky). My curiosity for music by Stravinsky has been aroused.

This:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51aSAbqJ7aL.jpg

Amfortas
September 25th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I'm always the last to the party. Welcome to the forum, Clayton!

Clayton
September 26th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Thank you for the welcome.
Party? Where? WHERE?:party"

Ann Lander (sospiro)
September 26th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Do you ever go & see live opera?

Clayton
September 26th, 2013, 06:22 PM
In my student days and for a few years post I went to the (old) Covent Garden many times, I think about forty odd times. Many, many good memories. I even used to drink (way too much) in a bar very close by so I even had some good drinking friends from the company. Again many, many good memories. I think I have some very good (emotional/experience) souvenirs from those days that are maybe a little too good for me and should have been blessed on others more deserving.
I also went to the Met whenever work allowed and have been maybe seven or eight times. Absolutely loved it.
Then there was a seventeen year gap when I lost balance...
Since stopping work (allegedly temporary circumstance) I have been to ROH three times and have bought one ticket for the Met. Though inspired by the comments by Almaviva, I intend to look at more local smaller company and amateur performances from now on...
I do have a restriction though; I don't want my wife to be an Opera widow so I would never go without her. This means a self imposed budget :ambivalence: of about two performances a year; just enough to keep it fun for her!
I've already miscalculated and been off balance for this many years... I don't want to lose balance again!:stupid:
Maybe you were just looking for a straight "yes" or "no" answer...

Ann Lander (sospiro)
September 26th, 2013, 06:37 PM
In my student days and for a few years post I went to the (old) Covent Garden many times, I think about forty odd times. Many, many good memories. I even used to drink (way too much) in a bar very close by so I even had some good drinking friends from the company. Again many, many good memories. I think I have some very good (emotional/experience) souvenirs from those days that are maybe a little too good for me and should have been blessed on others more deserving.
I also went to the Met whenever work allowed and have been maybe seven or eight times. Absolutely loved it.
Then there was a seventeen year gap when I lost balance...
Since stopping work (allegedly temporary circumstance) I have been to ROH three times and have bought one ticket for the Met. Though inspired by the comments by Almaviva, I intend to look at more local smaller company and amateur performances from now on...
I do have a restriction though; I don't want my wife to be an Opera widow so I would never go without her. This means a self imposed budget :ambivalence: of about two performances a year; just enough to keep it fun for her!
I've already miscalculated and been off balance for this many years... I don't want to lose balance again!:stupid:
Maybe you were just looking for a straight "yes" or "no" answer...

'Yes' 'No' or in detail is all fine.

I love reading about other people's opera journeys & yours sounds wonderful. I really envy your going to the Met. Not been yet but it's on my Bucket List.

Clayton
September 27th, 2013, 09:30 AM
How about you? Are there some Opera companies that you think should be looked at? I almost went to Wormsley this Summer to watch the Cricket (they hosted the Women's Ashes) in the middle of a slightly disappointing Men's series when I noticed they now host the Garsington Opera Company on the estate. I had never heard of them but I made a note.
Also how about that 220 not out o/n by young eighteen year old Dominic Sibley! Exciting. And we all though Amla was the superstar to take centre stage! Bless Surrey; one can only wish good fortune for them.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
September 27th, 2013, 06:57 PM
How about you? Are there some Opera companies that you think should be looked at? I almost went to Wormsley this Summer to watch the Cricket (they hosted the Women's Ashes) in the middle of a slightly disappointing Men's series when I noticed they now host the Garsington Opera Company on the estate. I had never heard of them but I made a note.

I've never seen anything by Garsington but I've heard they're good. Glyndebourne-On-Tour (http://glyndebourne.com/about-tour-2013) are very good. They get top class singers. I saw their La bohème (http://glyndebourne.com/la-boh%C3%A8me-tour-2011) in 2011 & it was fabulous.

Also how about that 220 not out o/n by young eighteen year old Dominic Sibley! Exciting. And we all though Amla was the superstar to take centre stage! Bless Surrey; one can only wish good fortune for them.

I just can't wait for the Ashes to start. Wish it was on terrestrial TV but I won't have Sky & am quite happy with TMS.

Clayton
September 28th, 2013, 10:18 PM
As I said before, cricket is another love of my life. I thought I had uploaded a picture for my avatar but apparently I am not very competent with information systems. This picture is of a person called Geoffrey Boycott, a Yorkshireman and English cricketer. His achievements are beyond anything I could write about here but I will just say he is a sporting hero not just in England but to cricket fans all over the world. This picture is of Geoff batting in the 1977 Ashes series at Trent Bridge where he became the first English player to bat on all five days of the match. He is a fine ambassador for the sport and the spirit of the game.

Soave_Fanciulla
September 29th, 2013, 06:53 AM
He has to be famous because even I've heard of him!

Clayton
October 1st, 2013, 11:28 AM
He has to be famous because even I've heard of him!

Oh what a great nation of cricketers New Zealand are! I thoroughly enjoyed my visit there in March (even if only over the airwaves). Just by chance the BBC picked up a taxi which was being driven by former New Zealand Test player Ewen Chatfield who was playing against Geoff in his infamous captaincy in 1978 in Christchurch. Many people have a laugh at Geoff's expense over that series.

Soave_Fanciulla
October 1st, 2013, 07:52 PM
Oh what a great nation of cricketers New Zealand are!

And rugby players and sailors and sports obsessives generally.

Unfortunately sport bores the pants off me so it's all wasted as far as I'm concerned. I have a little dream where I snap my fingers and all the local energy that is channelled into sport suddenly gets re-routed into opera.
http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/105.gif

Clayton
October 30th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Hello to all,

I'm back after popping off to pay my last respects to a good beer buddy (and father-in-law). He said he was sorry he did not have any assets to leave but I told him actually he had already given me everything.

It was not too sad an occasion and actually very nice with all the family.

Also if you have a cousin who is a balloon artist, this is very handy for adding a nice splash of colour.

(All the really good 'uns were taken by the younger (or the older for the younger) and did not make the photoshoot)

And now back to opera...

:o

Ann Lander (sospiro)
October 30th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Hello to all,

I'm back after popping off to pay my last respects to a good beer buddy (and father-in-law). He said he was sorry he did not have any assets to leave but I told him actually he had already given me everything.

Also if you have a cousin who is a balloon artist, this is very handy for adding a nice splash of colour.

(All the really good 'uns were taken by the younger (or the older for the younger) and did not make the photoshoot)

And now back to opera...

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law and welcome back. Was just thinking about you on my commute home and wondering where you were. :)

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
October 31st, 2014, 02:09 AM
Hello to all,

And now back to opera...

It's good to have you back, Clayton. Sorry for your father-in-law.

Soave_Fanciulla
October 31st, 2014, 04:23 AM
It's good to have you back, Clayton. Sorry for your father-in-law.

Ditto. We missed you.

Hoffmann
November 12th, 2014, 12:14 AM
I just caught up with this, and am very sorry to hear about your father in law/beer buddy. I am, however, glad you are back!

Clayton
November 8th, 2019, 12:07 AM
I have now relocated to Hokkaido, the Northern territories of Japan. The CDs (11 boxes) have still a couple of months before they arrive but I don't know if I'll have enough space to unpack them; it's a small apartment that was supposed to be a temporary measure.
I'm surrounded by mountains but just missed the kouyou season, where they turn red. I'm busy trying to find my feet before the snow comes but will try and catch up with the opera soon!

Soave_Fanciulla
November 8th, 2019, 02:23 AM
I have now relocated to Hokkaido, the Northern territories of Japan. The CDs (11 boxes) have still a couple of months before they arrive but I don't know if I'll have enough space to unpack them; it's a small apartment that was supposed to be a temporary measure.
I'm surrounded by mountains but just missed the kouyou season, where they turn red. I'm busy trying to find my feet before the snow comes but will try and catch up with the opera soon!

Happy settling in. Gonna get cold, lots of excuses to huddle round the fire with a nice boxed set and a cuppa.

Florestan
November 8th, 2019, 02:25 AM

For a couple reasons, I hope you have all those CDs ripped and on a drive that you brought with you.

Clayton
November 8th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Happy settling in. Gonna get cold, lots of excuses to huddle round the fire with a nice boxed set and a cuppa.

Hello So_Fa! We are closer neighbours now :)
I heard the island had temperatures of -39 earlier this year. I'll need some very fiery box sets; any suggestions welcome. I also need a very big cuppa

- - - Updated - - -

For a couple reasons, I hope you have all those CDs ripped and on a drive that you brought with you.

I only have the i-pod... but the Krauss is on it :)

Ann Lander (sospiro)
November 9th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Great to hear from you and good luck with the settling-in. I hope your CDs don't take too long to arrive and that your tea cabinet is awaiting.

Clayton
November 10th, 2019, 12:39 AM
The good news is I now have a highly stable 30mbps internet connection so when I have the time I will say a big hello to the previously unexplored world of youtube opera!
:)

Ann Lander (sospiro)
November 10th, 2019, 07:55 AM
The good news is I now have a highly stable 30mbps internet connection so when I have the time I will say a big hello to the previously unexplored world of youtube opera!
:)

Excellent!

Operavision is a great resource. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTlXPAfOx300RZfWNw8-qg/videos

Hoffmann
November 10th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Wishing you lots of happiness in Hokkaido!

You didn't say, but I'm worried whether your tea cabinets will fit in your new apartment. However will you be able to store all those box sets?

I'm taking a different tack by heading to the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs and environs) in the desert. LA Opera is about 2 hours away. I'm afraid I've been seduced by swaying palm trees, craggy mountains, swimming pools and movie stars -well, maybe not so many movie stars any more - and that's only if I am ever able to sell my place here in Virginia.

Clayton
August 12th, 2020, 12:30 PM
Hello to all opera friends!

I am happy to read that most of your are well and managing in these difficult times. I am sorry for the absence; I have not been able to afford any time to opera. I am spending most of my time looking for a house or some land to build on or learning about the area.
The apartment which I am renting at the moment is too small for the wife, myself and opera to all live in so one had to go (the wife said opera can't do the cleaning so I was allowed to stay).
Further, I have developed a persistent case of tinnitus. Whilst I have been able to tolerate the noise, it has made listening to music through headphones too unpleasant so I am concentrating efforts on finding a permanent house with a dedicated music room.
Of course the Elina Garanca concert in May was cancelled but I was more disappointed for the musicians unable to perform than for my loss. As the late, great Vera sung; we'll meet again.