PDA

View Full Version : Aldo Ciccolini and Myron Michailidis - Beethoven Piano Concertos Nos. 3 and 4

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
December 5th, 2013, 12:37 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418ivJ7Gm1L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This CD was offered to me as a gift by the conductor himself when I interviewed him in Athens in October (the transcript is ready and is awaiting his corrections; stay tuned for the published interview in a few days).

Aldo Ciccolini, pianist
Myron Michailidis conducts the Thessaloniki State Symphony Orchestra
Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Concertos Nos. 3 & 4

A 2011 EMI Classics release (# 50999 027598 2 1), recorded at the Thessaloniki Concert Hall, Thessaloniki, Greece, 26-31 May 2008. I couldn't find the format but I assume it is DDD given that the sound is crystalline and of excellent quality.

Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 3 in C minor, Op. 37 - running time 36:46
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 4 in G major, Op. 58 - running time 34:40

The Liner notes contain the artistic biographies of the pianist and the conductor, a one-page description of the history of the Thessaloniki State Symphony Orchestra, and a 3-page essay on these two Beethoven pieces by George-Julius Papadopoulos. The pianist's biography is in English and French; everything else is in English only. There are headshots of the artists and five pictures of the concert.

-------

This is a very beautiful CD. These two Beethoven pieces are fabulous, and they are executed here with perfection. The product has good documentation, excellent sound quality (very crystalline) with no ambient noise whatsoever (either very good engineering or the recording sections were done with closed doors). The balance between piano and orchestra is ideal, the transitions are smooth and precise, and Mr. Ciccolini's playing is wonderful. I highly recommend this CD. I'm not saying so just because I met the conductor in person. I really enjoyed this music.