PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Florida, USA.

Revenant
February 13th, 2014, 09:08 PM
A newbie here, but very much of an oldie with opera. I like to write about what I like not what I dislike, and to find some new things to like.

Very glad to see that some admired and learned posters are here from another forum. This is really an impressive site :love-struck: and I've already "mined" some of the cd/dvd recommendations and excellent reviews for pointers to new acquisitions and the conconmitant financial ruin (mine). But all in a very good spirit. :angel:

So, what else can I say but hello? :tiphat:

Clayton
February 13th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Hello Revenant and welcome to Opera Lively!

I did surrender the newest member crown fairly recently and am still quite a newbie with opera but am very excited about it. So as an "oldie" I look forward to learning from anything you have to give! :biggrin:

I am all over the place at the moment but what are your favourite areas?

Soave_Fanciulla
February 13th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Revenant! Welcome! Great to have you here too (my username is different elsewhere but my avatar is the same!).

Revenant
February 13th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Thank you both for the welcomes. And yes, Soave Fanciulla, I recognized your avatar immediately.

Clayton, I was introduced very early to opera and classical music by my parents, particularly my father who had studied at the conservatory in his youth. (He was a bit of a tenor manqué and was a friend of a major conductor of the time and also of a Spanish tenor named Hipolito Lazaro.) He had a weird mix which he tried to pass over en masse to me: Verismo (also know as Nuova Scuola), Verdi, Puccini, and, in his case, Wagner. No Baroque back then and not much bel canto or anything modern or later than Puccini's Turandot for him. I picked some Baroque and bel canto preferences later by myself. I can almost see his frown of disapproval and disgust every time I listen to Monteverdi, Handel, Bellini or Die Tote Stadt. Yes, he was set in his ways. I also picked up Wagner but much, much later. So, a fairly eclectic mixed bag of opera genres I am.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
February 13th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Thank you both for the welcomes. And yes, Soave Fanciulla, I recognized your avatar immediately.

Clayton, I was introduced very early to opera and classical music by my parents, particularly my father who had studied at the conservatory in his youth. (He was a bit of a tenor manqué and was a friend of a major conductor of the time and also of a Spanish tenor named Hipolito Lazaro.) He had a weird mix which he tried to pass over en masse to me: Verismo (also know as Nuova Scuola), Verdi, Puccini, and, in his case, Wagner. No Baroque back then and not much bel canto or anything modern or later than Puccini's Turandot for him. I picked some Baroque and bel canto preferences later by myself. I can almost see his frown of disapproval and disgust every time I listen to Monteverdi, Handel, Bellini or Die Tote Stadt. Yes, he was set in his ways. I also picked up Wagner but much, much later. So, a fairly eclectic mixed bag of opera genres I am.

I've already welcomed you through the Contact Us exchange that resulted in your account being created, but let me publicly repeat it: welcome to Opera Lively!

I see that there is an area of exploration missing from your list: contemporary opera. I'm a big fan. You'll find threads and reviews on it, so, when say you want to "find some new things to like" , well, there can't be anything newer than contemporary opera!

I might as well recommend the best one of them all, in my opinion: Written on Skin by George Benjamin, which is available both on CD and on DVD/Blu-ray (gorgeous production with basically the same team but adding the visuals, so I'd recommend that over the CD) on Amazon. Take it for a ride!

Amfortas
February 13th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Welcome, Revenant! I hope you'll stay with us a good long while and share your lifelong love of opera!

Clayton
February 13th, 2014, 11:29 PM
...I was introduced very early to opera and classical music by my parents, particularly my father who had studied at the conservatory in his youth. (He was a bit of a tenor manqué and was a friend of a major conductor of the time and also of a Spanish tenor named Hipolito Lazaro...

That is a marvellous introduction to music. I bet you have some good stories to tell.

Revenant
February 14th, 2014, 12:32 AM
That is a marvellous introduction to music. I bet you have some good stories to tell.

He did. I've frequently read that Lazaro was a competitive tenor who dared to compare himself with Caruso and who referred uncharitably to Miguel Fleta's voice. But my father said that he was rather down to earth, openly friendly and unassuming. A mutual friend was the conductor who routinely rehearsed Lazaro before his Latin American tours, which were numerous over the years. Not my personal favorite type of voice (too much squillo, if there's such a thing), but admittedly a great tenor.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
February 14th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Hello Revenant & welcome to the forum!! It's great to see you on here.

Revenant
February 14th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Hello Revenant & welcome to the forum!! It's great to see you on here.

Same here, Annie. Again, thanks all for the nice welcomes. :kiss.1: