PDA

View Full Version : Hello Opera Lovers

manon
March 8th, 2014, 01:42 AM
Hi,

Greetings to all.

I just found your website and am thrilled to be a member. I am an opera lover who started listening and going to operas 60 years ago. I am an opera fanatic and have just about every significant opera ever recorded in multiple versions on CD, Blu Ray and MP3. I had a very large opera collection on LP which is long gone with the wind.

My tastes run the gamut from Baroque to Contemporary, but I love romantic operas the most, as you can see by my avatar. Manon is one of my favorites and Anna Netrebko is pictured as Manon. I think she is magnificent.

At present, I am still collecting and enjoying opera on CD and Blu Ray. I am a retired educator from the USA and hope to be an active member here.

Peace to all.

Regards,
Mel

Amfortas
March 8th, 2014, 02:14 AM
Let me be the first to welcome you, Mel! With your interests in different periods, styles, and recording formats, you should find plenty to captivate you here. I hope we hear a good deal more from you in the future!

Soave_Fanciulla
March 8th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Hello Mel and a warm welcome!

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
March 8th, 2014, 05:00 AM
Hi,

Greetings to all.

I just found your website and am thrilled to be a member. I am an opera lover who started listening and going to operas 60 years ago. I am an opera fanatic and have just about every significant opera ever recorded in multiple versions on CD, Blu Ray and MP3. I had a very large opera collection on LP which is long gone with the wind.

My tastes run the gamut from Baroque to Contemporary, but I love romantic operas the most, as you can see by my avatar. Manon is one of my favorites and Anna Netrebko is pictured as Manon. I think she is magnificent.

At present, I am still collecting and enjoying opera on CD and Blu Ray. I am a retired educator from the USA and hope to be an active member here.

Peace to all.

Regards,
Mel

Welcome to Opera Lively, Mel. We are thrilled to have you, and as you'll soon understand if you read my posts (there is a running joke about it) I love Anna Netrebko, so we are already on the same page! If you go to the Home page, there is a widget on the upper left corner; click on it, click on Exclusive Interviews, and you'll see there, among many others, our in-person interview with Anna.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
March 8th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Hello Mel and welcome to the forum.

Hoffmann
March 8th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Hi Mel,
Welcome to the small, but growing, OL retiree contingent! Your 60 years of listening and opera-loving has me beat by a mile (my history only goes back 42 years). I'm not up to speed on the contemporary stuff yet, but haven't completely given up on it, either. Lots of good people here, hope you enjoy yourself.

Richie
September 9th, 2018, 05:39 AM
Anyone have a recording of Menotti's The Last Savage?

Florestan
September 9th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Welcome Mel, with your diverse operatic experience I am guessing you likely have some of the more obscure operas such as Stanislaw Moniuszko's Straszny Dwor (Haunted Manor). Also you surely have recordings of my favorite operas, Bellini's La Sonnambula, and Flotow's Martha.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
September 9th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Welcome Mel, with your diverse operatic experience I am guessing you likely have some of the more obscure operas such as Stanislaw Moniuszko's Straszny Dwor (Haunted Manor). Also you surely have recordings of my favorite operas, Bellini's La Sonnambula, and Flotow's Martha.
This person hasn't posted since April 2014.
Regarding The Haunted Manor, there is a full version of it online, very good, extensively commented upon in one of the threads. I think Annie saw it personally. I don't know where that thread is, but if you do a search, you should find it.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
September 9th, 2018, 02:36 PM
Anyone have a recording of Menotti's The Last Savage?
Welcome, Richie.
As far as I know, there isn't a commercial recording of this opera.
It seems like Indiana University staged this opera in November 2014; maybe they have an in-house recording of it, if you write to them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzDD7lktEVI
You can contact them using this form, which also contains their mailing address:
https://music.indiana.edu/about/contact.shtml
It was also staged in Santa Fe in 2011 but I doubt that they would have a recording. Indiana University, being an academic institution, might; I'd imagine they would keep these things in their library, for the students' sake.

Florestan
September 9th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Regarding The Haunted Manor, there is a full version of it online, very good, extensively commented upon in one of the threads. I think Annie saw it personally. I don't know where that thread is, but if you do a search, you should find it.

Yikes! Guess I should slow down and look at the dates on some of these threads. Yes there was a Haunted Manor on line with English Subtitles and a wonderful performance at that.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
September 12th, 2018, 06:07 PM

Yes I saw it in Warsaw in 2016 but I can't find it online. Directed by David Pountney.

This production was first staged in 2015 and it was to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the re-opening, after WW2, of the Warsaw Opera House in 1965. It was the last opera to be staged there before it was bombed and the first opera to be staged after the re-opening. The opera has a very special place in the hearts of Polish people and not just opera lovers so it was a great tribute to a non-Pole to be asked to stage a new production.