PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Scotland

Alexander
June 11th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Despite the automatic email failure on the site, I finally managed to get registered thanks to Luiz's intervention. Not a great start but hopefully it'll get resolved or there will be no more new members.

I can see a few familiar names and avatars here and I guess they will know me from elsewhere too. Hope to enjoy some good opera chat here amongst friendly like-minded folk.

What a nice site, Luiz, I look forward to participating and learning more.

Clayton
June 11th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Hello Alexander2 in Scotland! Welcome to Opera Lively; there is a nice mix of knowledge and tastes here but all opera mad and friendly!

Soave_Fanciulla
June 11th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Hello and welcome. Looking forward to chatting to you!

Amfortas
June 11th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Welcome to the site, Alexander! Enjoy your time here!

Ann Lander (sospiro)
June 11th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Hi Alexander & welcome to the forum. I look forward to chatting with you. :encouragement:

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
June 11th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Despite the automatic email failure on the site, I finally managed to get registered thanks to Luiz's intervention. Not a great start but hopefully it'll get resolved or there will be no more new members.

I can see a few familiar names and avatars here and I guess they will know me from elsewhere too. Hope to enjoy some good opera chat here amongst friendly like-minded folk.

What a nice site, Luiz, I look forward to participating and learning more.

Yes, there is a glitch and it hasn't been solved yet. I'm working with technical support on it. Temporarily what I'm doing is that I'm validating accounts on my end, and emailing people to let them know. Unfortunately only you came back, others who tried and had the same problem did not reply to my emails.

Hopefully vBulletin Technical Support will find out what is wrong. Sorry for the mishap, and welcome to Opera Lively. Thanks for your praise for our content.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
June 12th, 2014, 11:29 AM
vBulletin tech support has concluded that the email function is working fine and the people who are not receiving the registration email, it's because their email servers reject PHP-originated email. There is a complicated process to change the registration email to SMTP-based email, and I'll see if our host will make the switch for us.

Hoffmann
June 12th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Hi Alexander, Welcome to OL - it's a great place with lots of great people!

Soave_Fanciulla
June 12th, 2014, 06:40 PM
vBulletin tech support has concluded that the email function is working fine and the people who are not receiving the registration email, it's because their email servers reject PHP-originated email. There is a complicated process to change the registration email to SMTP-based email, and I'll see if our host will make the switch for us.

I had to use another computer AND had to log into all my accounts, I thought I had forgotten my password so requested another FROM OL, 3 times. No email.

But the same thing happened at the same time on TC. I got the emails straight away.

So it's nothing to do with my server rejecting PHP-originated email, because TC's came through and OL's didn't.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
June 13th, 2014, 10:10 AM
I had to use another computer AND had to log into all my accounts, I thought I had forgotten my password so requested another FROM OL, 3 times. No email.

But the same thing happened at the same time on TC. I got the emails straight away.

So it's nothing to do with my server rejecting PHP-originated email, because TC's came through and OL's didn't.

Maybe TC *is* using SMTP email. We weren't. I changed to SMTP now. Let's see if it works. By the way, there *are* people who were getting the PHP emails so it's not universal failure. And also, to two who didn't, I sent manually an email from OL to test the function and they did bounce back with a message saying that their server rejected the PHP-based email, so it looks like vBulletin is right about it.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
June 19th, 2014, 05:43 AM
SMTP email did not work with the initial parameters we set. Now Tech Support has suggested different ones. I've made the adjustments. Let's see if this time it works. Nat, would you try again to reset your password and see if now you get the email?

Alexander
June 21st, 2014, 08:19 AM
Well done. It looks like the email sender is working.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
June 21st, 2014, 10:18 AM
Well done. It looks like the email sender is working.

However another new member continues to figure as "user awaiting email confirmation." I don't know if the person just hasn't clicked on the link yet, or if the link wasn't sent. Would you try to register an account and see if all goes well? Then tell me, please, and also tell me the name of the test account so that I delete it after the test is complete. Thanks.

Alexander3
June 21st, 2014, 11:47 PM
Seems to be working fine for new registrations.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
June 22nd, 2014, 01:28 PM
Seems to be working fine for new registrations.

OK, thanks. Problem solved. Now I'll delete your extra accounts that you've created for this testing purpose. Thanks for helping.