PDA

View Full Version : Another opera fanatic

BillMcEnaneyJr
July 9th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is "Bill."

Wow! I'm glad I found this message board because it's the only one I know of where people talk about opera, my musical passion. "Passion" is the right word, too, because I fell in love with opera when I had a crush on Kiri Te Kanawa. Then a book about her disappointed me when it said that she was 17 years older than me and married with children. That's okay, though, because I live like a cloistered Catholic monk.

Samson et Dalila is my favorite opera, my favorite composer is Verdi. Natile Dessay, Jussi Bjorling, Nicolae Herlea, Diana Damrau, and Elina Garanca are my favorite singers.

Alhough I'm an buff, I'm sure you'll teach me much more than I could learn on my own. Some of your enjoy Opera Quarterly, I hope. Since I'm part computer scientist, part philosopher, and part Catholic theologian, I prefer theory to practice.

I grow carnivorous plants, too, but I'm still wondering whether they like the singing. However they react to it, they're much more cultivated than plants "who" "put the petal to the metal" when they "hear" heavy metal music. Sound stimulates growth.

Thank you for being here. I look forward to many enjoyable conversations with you.

Soave_Fanciulla
July 9th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is "Bill."

Wow! I'm glad I found this message board because it's the only one I know of where people talk about opera, my musical passion. "Passion" is the right word, too, because I fell in love with opera when I had a crush on Kiri Te Kanawa. Then a book about her disappointed me when it said that she was 17 years older than me and married with children. That's okay, though, because I live like a cloistered Catholic monk.

Samson et Dalila is my favorite opera, my favorite composer is Verdi. Natile Dessay, Jussi Bjorling, Nicolae Herlea, Diana Damrau, and Elina Garanca are my favorite singers.

Alhough I'm an buff, I'm sure you'll teach me much more than I could learn on my own. Some of your enjoy Opera Quarterly, I hope. Since I'm part computer scientist, part philosopher, and part Catholic theologian, I prefer theory to practice.

I grow carnivorous plants, too, but I'm still wondering whether they like the singing. However they react to it, they're much more cultivated than plants "who" "put the petal to the metal" when they "hear" heavy metal music. Sound stimulates growth.

Thank you for being here. I look forward to many enjoyable conversations with you.

Welcome Bill, the world cannot have too many opera fanatics (although I'm a smidgeon nervous about the plants).

Clayton
July 9th, 2015, 11:26 PM
Hi Bill and let me be the first to say

Welcome to Opera Lively!

There are all sorts here with different opera interests and varying knowledge but all have love of opera in common!

There are many good thread to read and there are also threads on other interests like gardening (I am sure that most plants like opera).

I have not heard about Opera Quarterly before but I will now look in to it. Thanks for the pointer!

JohnGerald
July 9th, 2015, 11:54 PM
Welcome, Bill. Unlike Natalie, I dig the plants, especially if one is named Audrey.

I am also a Verdi fanatic, but departed from the thoughts of Cloister and the monastic life when I discovered females. Which is why the romanticism of Bel Canto is my addiction.

Dig in and participate; this is a good bunch of folks who all know and love opera.

BillMcEnaneyJr
July 10th, 2015, 12:41 AM
Thanks, Natalie. No worries, my friend. The bug-munchers can't harm you.

In 2012, I bought a Venus flytrap for my favorite priest, Fr. Edward Sipperly, while he lived in a nursing home. Before the little green soldier got there to protect him from the quacks, the U.S. Postal Service delivered "him" to the wrong address. Two weeks after I ordered the little fella, he reached dark room where everyone neglected him. Nobody watered him, or if anyone did, he "drank" tap water, a poison for carnivorous plants. Each time I visited Father, his poor dehydrated bodyguard seemed to thrive as though he knew he needed to be tough for him.

By the way, I know I'm humanizing a plant when Venus flytraps have no sexes. But I love those little creatures. If you adopt some, be careful because they can be surprisingly endearing. They're like the children I'll never bring up, since I've vowed to be a lifelong virgin.

BillMcEnaneyJr
July 10th, 2015, 12:56 AM
Thanks, Clayton. I'm sure this message board is a great place brimming with fascinating threads and wonderful people. I'm happy to hear that that many operatic subjects interest them, since I need to learn how to be a little eclectic.

Here's a link about Opera Quarterly (http://oq.oxfordjournals.org/).

BillMcEnaneyJr
July 10th, 2015, 01:12 AM
Hi, JohnGerald. Thanks for the excellent I idea. I'll name my next North American Pitcher Plant "Audrey." That may confuse her a little, though, because her common species-name is "Judith Hindle." :D

You might say that a female helped cloister me. Years ago, when I boarded a bus at a health club, another passenger said, "There's a guy in the gym. You know him very well, and I've had my eye on him for months." Sitting there, I scratched my head because I had no idea whom she meant until she asked me whether I needed to get hit in the head with a brick. See what embarrassing things can happen to someone who hasn't dated? :love-struck:

BillMcEnaneyJr
July 10th, 2015, 02:04 AM
JohnGerard, Audrey will look something like the plants in the first photo you'll see here (https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0LEVv0YJ59VUg4ATf9jmolQ;_ylu=X3oDMTB0aG 9taDZyBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA0ZGR0UwMl8x?p=S arracenia+Judith+Hindle&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch %3Fp%3DSarracenia%2BJudith%2BHindle%26vm%3Dp%26par am1%3D14068654%26param2%3D0%26param3%3D8%26param4% 3D1759786359%26hsimp%3Dyhs-prodege_001%26hspart%3Dprodege%26fr%3Dyhs-prodege-prodege_001%26ei%3DUTF-8&w=400&h=300&imgurl=cdn3.volusion.com%2Fhwnyj.vxqwe%2Fv%2Fvspfi les%2Fphotos%2F12021-2T.jpg%3F1401905899&size=124KB&name=12021-2T.jpg&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.growcarnivorousplants.com%2 FSarracenia-Judith-Hindle-p%2F12021.htm&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.growcarnivorousplants.com%2F Sarracenia-Judith-Hindle-p%2F12021.htm&type=&no=7&tt=120&oid=6a30b70e90d447e1a996127060d5921f&tit=Sarracenia+Judith+Hindle&sigr=129tmbb41&sigi=127oonnrg&sign=10cclg7dv&sigt=103vg5ole&sigb=160k9ma6d&fr=yhs-prodege-prodege_001&hspart=prodege&hsimp=yhs-prodege_001&vm=p).

JohnGerald
July 10th, 2015, 02:24 AM
I want her to look like the "Audrey" in Little Shop of Horrors. I have this neighbor ....

BillMcEnaneyJr
July 10th, 2015, 05:10 AM
Then you may need to choose Audrey from, say, here (http://www.carnivorousplantnursery.com) or here (http://www.californiacarnivores.com. I've forgotten most of the the plot of Little Shop of Horrors because I watched it in a cinema. If you want Audrey to terrify her lunch, she better be a Nepenthes raja because she'll like rats (https://www.google.com/search?q=nepenthes+rajah+rat&biw=1920&bih=873&tbm=isch&imgil=s1EJ176rIkYnaM%253A%253BHaxTxGLt-DTVsM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.clarkpest.c om%25252Fblog%25252Fbid%25252F19558%25252FGiant-Plant-That-Eats-Rodents&source=iu&pf=m&fir=s1EJ176rIkYnaM%253A%252CHaxTxGLt-DTVsM%252C_&usg=__1tYqtierqe6gXCi5N-8-er4jXaE%3D&ved=0CCkQyjc&ei=QlOfVcmVCMry-AHOs4CoBQ#imgrc=s1EJ176rIkYnaM%3A&usg=__1tYqtierqe6gXCi5N-8-er4jXaE%3D)

Amfortas
July 10th, 2015, 10:56 PM
Welcome to Opera Lively, Bill. And don't worry about being cloistered. Some of us here lead pretty reclusive lives, without even taking any vows! :concern:

BillMcEnaneyJr
July 11th, 2015, 04:53 AM
Thank you, Amfortas. I'm happy to be here with you. My vow doesn't worry me. No, I'm perfectly content to keep it. With my melancholic temperament, I feel the most serene when I'm alone. That may be why I try to think deeply about the operas I watch. During Butterfly, my favorite Puccini opera, I almost forget that it's fiction. Normally, I hate modern minimalist productions like the one where Dolore is a puppet. But I could hardly believe how human he seemed when Patricia Racette sang to him.

Adrian
July 11th, 2015, 05:11 AM
Welcome to Opera Lively, Bill. And don't worry about being cloistered. Some of us here lead pretty reclusive lives, without even taking any vows! :concern:

I told you that in confidence.
:laugh4:

On Topic
Welcome Bill.
Enjoy your time here

BillMcEnaneyJr
July 11th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Thank you, Adrian. Maybe it's better to confide in a PM? :lightbulb: :laugh4:

BillMcEnaneyJr
July 11th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Is there a moderator out there in opera land who'll let me edit a post I wrote in this thread? The typos are driving me crazy.

JohnGerald
July 11th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Is there a moderator out there in opera land who'll let me edit a post I wrote in this thread? The typos are driving me crazy.

There are several (of whom I am not one). If you send a PM to "Alamviva", in the head shed, you can get this done. You can also proof a post and, for a short while after posting it, edit it yourself. I, too, suffer from the clumsy thumb syndrome on occasion.

Amfortas
July 11th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Alma is often pretty busy. It may be quicker to send a PM to me, with full corrected versions of the posts in question. I can do a cut-and-paste from there.

BillMcEnaneyJr
July 11th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks, JohnGerald. Clumsy thumb syndrome annoys me thoroughly because I've proofread scholarly books for a friend of mine. People say I write well enough to write professionally, and I'm hoping to publish a book about the European Enlightenment. But with the hand spasticity from my Cerebral Palsy, I can't touch-type. Anytime a finger leaves the home row, others follow. So I'm no Cameron Carpenter, the only organist I know of who can use one hand to play on two manuals at once. The great news is that, if I lean far enough, I can hunt and peck with my nose. :)

JohnGerald
July 12th, 2015, 02:39 AM
Well, brother Bill, we have much in common: I wrote a bunch of professional stuff (legal) and my clumsy thumb results from polio. And my parents almost sent me to a cloister in Siberia, when I nailed my Fifth grade teacher (a nun) with an elbow when she went to pull me down from standing on my seat at my first ever classical music concert (Ride of the Valkeyries) Not a fun time for a kid with devout Irish Parents, God rest 'em.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
July 12th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Welcome to Opera Lively Bill. You're going to fit right in!

Hoffmann
July 13th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Hi Bill, Welcome to Opera Lively - A great group here, I hope you enjoy!

BillMcEnaneyJr
July 17th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Brother Bill, eh? That has a great ring to it. Now if only I could join the Society of St. Pius X, I'd be thrilled.

I haven't tried the elbow trick. But after a woman behind me complained, "The first act lasted too long, I hope the second one will be short," I wanted to mount my crutch on my right shoulder, yell "Right shoulder, arms," and "shoot" her squarely inn the forehead. "Lady," I could have growled, "don't you dare distract me again while I'm engrossed in Madama Butterfly." Naturally, I kept my cool because I usually am a very mild, almost stoic fellow. So nobody knew how much the woman's comment annoyed me there at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. Then, during the same intermission, she said, "You know, I've been walking on this cane for years now. But I'm nowhere near as badly off as the young man sitting in front of us." Since I take my handicap very lightly, I don't let comments like that offend me.

Since I hate political correctness and write frankly when I debate atheistic fans of Richard Dawkins, I need to be ready to deflect an occasional barb or two. Speaking of political incorrectness, you should have seen a miniature golf course employee's face when I told her that I didn't want to rent s club, since mine was built-in. Years before that, I joked with a friend that to get us to the head of a cinema's ticket line, I could exaggerate the handicap. Looking back, had I exaggerated it, I probably would have walked like Igor in Young Frankenstein. :)

BillMcEnaneyJr
July 17th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Welcome to Opera Lively Bill. You're going to fit right in!

Thanks, sospiro. I'll fit in, I hope, but if I say enough here, you may want to hide me backstage. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Hoffmann. You guys are a great bunch.