PDA

View Full Version : Presto Sale

MAuer
July 26th, 2016, 05:39 PM
I just discovered that Presto Classical is currently having their big annual opera sale. Lots of bargains to be had! :)
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/

StarThrower
July 29th, 2016, 02:07 AM
Yes! They also have a huge selection of DG/Decca titles at 50 % off including many operas. I have a cart full of stuff picked out.

Florestan
July 29th, 2016, 03:17 AM
Wow, great sale. I see Fricsay's Fidelio 2CD set for $6.62!

MAuer
July 29th, 2016, 11:36 AM
That's a wonderful recording, especially Fischer-Dieskau's Pizarro.

Florestan
July 30th, 2016, 02:09 AM
That's a wonderful recording, especially Fischer-Dieskau's Pizarro.

I thought I had it, but it is only excerpts. Maybe I need another Fidelio?

Soave_Fanciulla
July 30th, 2016, 07:36 AM
I thought I had it, but it is only excerpts. Maybe I need another Fidelio?

I never said like a hole in the head. Honest.

Florestan
July 31st, 2016, 12:02 AM
I never said like a hole in the head. Honest.

Yeah. I just counted. I have 18 complete Fidelio CD sets and 4 Leonores. I mostly only listen to the Bernstein one with Janowitz. Nah, I don't need another Fidelio.

MAuer
July 31st, 2016, 11:12 AM
WHAT??? One always needs another Fidelio!!!

Florestan
July 31st, 2016, 02:13 PM
WHAT??? One always needs another Fidelio!!!

Ya know, I think you may have something there. I'll have to think about it.

Sonata
September 11th, 2016, 04:12 PM
I might get a couple Jonas Kaufmann DVDs. I'm not one to go for opera DVDs too often, but the price is right. The ones I'm considering are:

-Parsifal
-Don Carlos
-Tosca

I can't spend the money on all three, so I'll be picking one or two. Don Carlos in my favorite opera and Jonas Kaufmann is my favorite male opera singer. No brainer there really. That particular Tosca production is supposed to be excellent. And finally, I'm on an exploration of Parsifal right now. Gorgeous music, but to sit through the whole opera? I struggle with that. Kaufmann's Wagner album really was great in the past to expand my enjoyment and understanding of Wagner, so maybe he'll help me here :).

I'm also considering purchasing an Il Trovatore. The Sutherland/Pavarotti recording is just six dollars! I'd like Leontyne Price's too, but am not in a rush. Still that's only 11 so a good price too.

Oh boy, now I stumbled onto La Donna Del Lago with Juan Diego Florez and Joyce DiDonato......mmmm that's a contender too!

Ann Lander (sospiro)
September 11th, 2016, 05:02 PM
I might get a couple Jonas Kaufmann DVDs. I'm not one to go for opera DVDs too often, but the price is right. The ones I'm considering are:

-Parsifal
-Don Carlos
-Tosca

I can't spend the money on all three, so I'll be picking one or two. Don Carlos in my favorite opera and Jonas Kaufmann is my favorite male opera singer. No brainer there really. That particular Tosca production is supposed to be excellent. And finally, I'm on an exploration of Parsifal right now. Gorgeous music, but to sit through the whole opera? I struggle with that. Kaufmann's Wagner album really was great in the past to expand my enjoyment and understanding of Wagner, so maybe he'll help me here :).

I'm also considering purchasing an Il Trovatore. The Sutherland/Pavarotti recording is just six dollars! I'd like Leontyne Price's too, but am not in a rush. Still that's only 11 so a good price too.

Oh boy, now I stumbled onto La Donna Del Lago with Juan Diego Florez and Joyce DiDonato......mmmm that's a contender too!

Which one?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/c1QAAOSw3mpXDb1r/s-l300.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51BjRW2ne-L._SY445_.jpg

Sonata
September 11th, 2016, 07:40 PM
The first one with Gheorgiou

Ann Lander (sospiro)
September 11th, 2016, 07:47 PM
The first one with Gheorghiou

In that case you must get this one because there's the added bonus of yours truly's special guest appearance*

* At the very end, after the curtain calls, the camera pulls back and shows the audience and there's me looking suitably impressed with the show ;)

Festat
September 11th, 2016, 08:35 PM
In that case you must get this one because there's the added bonus of yours truly's special guest appearance*

* At the very end, after the curtain calls, the camera pulls back and shows the audience and there's me looking suitably impressed with the show ;)
OMG I DIDN'T KNOW I AM LOOKING FOR YOU RIGHT NOW

Ann Lander (sospiro)
September 11th, 2016, 08:41 PM
OMG I DIDN'T KNOW I AM LOOKING FOR YOU RIGHT NOW

:laugh4:

Middle of Row E (A is front row)

Below is a recent photo, that's me on the right in the stripey top. IIRC I was wearing the same top.

Sonata
September 11th, 2016, 08:50 PM

I definitely will have to get this then!

MAuer
September 12th, 2016, 12:39 PM

Of course, this gives me another excuse to watch this performance! :)

Clayton
September 13th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Of course, this gives me another excuse to watch this performance! :)

and I think I'm just going to have to buy it

Ann Lander (sospiro)
September 13th, 2016, 12:19 PM
and I think I'm just going to have to buy it

Yippee, more royalties! Er actually no. Even the singers don't get royalties.

Soave_Fanciulla
September 13th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Even the singers don't get royalties.

That is very depressing.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
September 13th, 2016, 08:33 PM
That is very depressing.

Yeah. If a singer records a disc in a studio I think they get royalties but for CDs and DVDs of live performances, they get their fee for doing the opera but that's all.