PDA

View Full Version : L'Italiana in Algeri L’Opéra National de Paris 1998 DVD?

crumpybumpy
November 30th, 2016, 05:36 PM
I am relatively new to opera and love it...I want to watch opera productions that are as close to what the composer and librettist wanted..but then.....I was supposed to see "L'Italiana in Algeri" at the Met Opera on October 29----we show up around 7:30 PM to see a Show Cancelled sign taped on the front door with police all over the place. We find out that someone during the Saturday Matinee of Guillaume Tell scattered ashes of their mentor in the orchestra pit and it was considered a threat so both performances were cancelled that day and the Met Opera was taped off as a crime scene.

So I became obsessed with this opera. I watched the 1986 Met Opera production DVD starring Marilyn Horne and loved it, and then my local libarary had a copy of the 1998 L’Opéra National de Paris starring Jennifer Larmore, Bruce Ford, Simone Alaimo, Alessandro Corbelli. It was....startling. The complete opposite of what I look for in an opera....but the music and singing were beautiful. I kept rewatching it...more times than the Met Opera version which I'm almost embarrassed to admit and I'm not sure why I keep rewatching it hahah. WHY would they make a production like this?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? If any of you have seen this DVD I would love to read your impressions of it.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
November 30th, 2016, 11:02 PM
I am relatively new to opera and love it...I want to watch opera productions that are as close to what the composer and librettist wanted..but then.....I was supposed to see "L'Italiana in Algeri" at the Met Opera on October 29----we show up around 7:30 PM to see a Show Cancelled sign taped on the front door with police all over the place. We find out that someone during the Saturday Matinee of Guillaume Tell scattered ashes of their mentor in the orchestra pit and it was considered a threat so both performances were cancelled that day and the Met Opera was taped off as a crime scene.

So I became obsessed with this opera. I watched the 1986 Met Opera production DVD starring Marilyn Horne and loved it, and then my local libarary had a copy of the 1998 L’Opéra National de Paris starring Jennifer Larmore, Bruce Ford, Simone Alaimo, Alessandro Corbelli. It was....startling. The complete opposite of what I look for in an opera....but the music and singing were beautiful. I kept rewatching it...more times than the Met Opera version which I'm almost embarrassed to admit and I'm not sure why I keep rewatching it hahah. WHY would they make a production like this?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? If any of you have seen this DVD I would love to read your impressions of it.
There are many updated, modernized productions around, and a whole movement called Regieoper in which the stage director's concept is prominent and at times alters the opera. I tend to like a fair amount of it and dislike some more extreme alterations. Opera Lively has many discussions about the topic. Welcome.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
December 2nd, 2016, 06:39 PM

That must have been so disappointing. I hope you get another chance to see it live.

I have to confess I don't like modern productions where the director's concept overrides what the composer intended.

Soave_Fanciulla
December 2nd, 2016, 08:32 PM
I have to say that the Jennifer Larmore production didn't strike me as startling at all, although she did seem to be struggling with Italian vowel sounds. Some of the old Met ones on the other hand are just too much for me (Semiramide, OMG).