PDA

View Full Version : Housekeeping request

Ann Lander (sospiro)
January 13th, 2018, 02:45 PM
We are doing some housekeeping and removing broken links. If anyone finds one please could they post a link to the post on here.

Example of missing YouTube.

Example of missing photo.

Thank you!

Florestan
January 13th, 2018, 03:24 PM
If you can globally search the site for photobucket links, most all of those will be dead since photobucket chose to delete everyones links from when they offered posting for free.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can globally search the site for photobucket links, most all of those will be dead since photobucket chose to delete everyones links from when they offered posting for free.

Hmm, no edit feature. I wanted to change "...posting for free." to "...image hosting for free."

- - - Updated - - -

Well that is weird, I replied and it entered it as an update to my current post. I have had that happen before if I posted twice in a very short time frame. Let's see it it does it again.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
January 13th, 2018, 03:27 PM

I don't know how to do that but in any case, not all the old links are dead, so we're searching page by page.

Hmm, no edit feature. I wanted to change "...posting for free." to "...image hosting for free."

I'm confused :confused: which happens often!

Florestan
January 13th, 2018, 04:05 PM
I'm confused :confused: which happens often!

Oh, I am just being technical. Photobucket is an image hosting site. Now I use https://postimages.org/ and hope they don't do like Photobucket did. Here is what the free hosting site did after they decided to charge for hosting (no grandfathering here), so all your posted imaged do this (example from web, not my post):

https://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/photobucket.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Only if you pay to enable 3rd party hosting will your images come back, but I hear is is expensive.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
January 13th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Oh, I am just being technical. Photobucket is an image hosting site. Now I use https://postimages.org/ and hope they don't do like Photobucket did. Here is what the free hosting site did after they decided to charge for hosting (no grandfathering here), so all your posted imaged do this (example from web, not my post):

https://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/photobucket.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Only if you pay to enable 3rd party hosting will your images come back, but I hear is is expensive.

Yep! There are lots of those to be removed!

Florestan
January 13th, 2018, 08:43 PM
Yep! There are lots of those to be removed!

Kind of like Photobucket has pooped all over the internet.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
January 14th, 2018, 02:39 PM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Well that is weird, I replied and it entered it as an update to my current post. I have had that happen before if I posted twice in a very short time frame. Let's see it it does it again.
The "updated" feature is one of the features of our software. If you post again very close to your initial one it turns into an update rather than a new post. It's meant to discourage spammers and "flooding." Not an issue with current members but we did have this kind of troublemaker in the past so this feature was activated.

Florestan
January 14th, 2018, 02:45 PM
The "updated" feature is one of the features of our software. If you post again very close to your initial one it turns into an update rather than a new post. It's meant to discourage spammers and "flooding." Not an issue with current members but we did have this kind of troublemaker in the past so this feature was activated.

Great! Keep the spammers at bay. I can work with that.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
January 14th, 2018, 03:55 PM
To all members - I've spent the last 3 hours cleaning up one of the threads, on live performance reviews.
The reason it is taking so long is that in numerous occasions someone commenting upon the performance inserts a link to a newspaper article about the show.

Please refrain from doing this in the future because newspaper articles are by nature temporary. Invariably this practice results in dead links.

If you want to comment upon a newspaper article, summarize what is being said but don't link to it, please, unless you remember to come back some 30 days later and delete the link.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
January 14th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Oh, and by the way, it hasn't been mentioned yet why this clean-up is important.

One, dead links are irritating to readers and we want the Opera Lively experience to be pleasant.

Two, GoogleAds frowns upon it and has threatened to cancel their contract with Opera Lively if we don't fix the dead links, and they are an important component that partially defrays the out-of-pocket costs to keep this website running.

Your cooperation is highly appreciated.