PDA

View Full Version : Flying Dutchman

Florestan
April 2nd, 2018, 12:55 AM
https://d27t0qkxhe4r68.cloudfront.net/t_300/harmoniamundihmd980906061b.jpg?1511776020
Samuel Youn (Der Holländer)
Ingela Brimberg (Senta)
Kwangchul Youn (Daland)
Nikolai Schukoff (Erik)
Kai Rüütel (Mary)
Benjamin Bruns (Steuermann)
Teatro Real de Madrid, Pablo Heras-Casado, Àlex Ollé

This set comes with both a DVD and a BlueRay Disk and a brief booklet. From the booklet,

The Ghost Ship is now a boat stranded in a wasteland of industrial surrealism. A group of men and women, almost an ancestral tribe, something between pirates and slaves of the ship demolition company, is already at work.
The spectres of the Ghost Ship escape from the holds and impregnate everything. They represent the soul of capitalist society run aground on the reefs of the twenty-first century.

The music was quite good, and while I am no judge of quality of a musical production, I thought it was well conducted. The conductor (shown in the beginning) moved around like a hyper orangutan and was very interesting to watch. The set was strange because it is a big iron ship instead of the traditional Hollander wooden ship. The whole production took place on the beach at the seashore. There was real sand and then billowy stuff that presumably was to look like sand and then to look like moving water when the imagery was projected onto it. It worked quite well in my opinion.

The spinning scene took place in this sandy setting and the girls were working on some small metal parts, not sure there was any spinning going on though. During the spinning scene, men were in the background dismantling the Hollander's ship by pieces so it was left a framework hulk of several decks from which later emanated the spectres as video projections. Some real ghost crew also came out of the ship at times.

All the principal characters were well played and sung in my opinion. The Hollander was pale with makeup that also was spread over his clothing. He was a fine Dutchman giving a spooky appearance and never leading the watcher to really be comfortable with him (as I was with McIntyre in the Sawallisch set).

Eric was dressed sort of like a guerilla combatant, and has a carbine with a long curved clip instead of a hunting rifle. When he saw that Senta was given over to the Hollander he started to leave, turned around and levelled the carbine at her back as if he were thinking of shooting her, then walked off.

Senta was excellent showing various facial expressions of her inner feelings. Part of Daland's initial treasures included a duffel bag filled with bundled America dollars. Oddly all 1s from what I could see. At the end Senta got her hands full of the white/bluish gunk that comprised the Hollander's makeup and proceeded to smear it all over herself, presumably an act of devotion to the Dutchman.

In the end the Dutchman was leaving with his ghastly crew and Senta stood a short distance away. The water (projected on the pseudo sand billows) started to envelop them. The Dutchman and his crew disappeared under the waves, but Senta remained standing in the water to the end, and with a look of anguish on her face, the opera came to a close, leaving one to wonder if she achieved her desire to save the Dutchman until the redemption music came (nice that they used that ending) and the watcher had to then conclude that the Dutchman was indeed saved.

I rank this right up there with my other Hollander DVD sets as a must have for any Hollander fan worth their salt. I have Sawallisch, Nelsson, and this cult-horror-flick version (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71scSYy5vuL._SL1105_.jpg), and love them all.

Here it is on You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD6ug6HTx3s