PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Seattle

terrased
January 28th, 2019, 04:30 AM
This is terrased.

Born and raised in New York City but now in Seattle. I know I should move back for the Opera, but I can't do that right now :). My first love of music was classical. First tape set i ever bought was Handel's Messiah in the late 80s and I loved Opera soon after. I've spent half of time last twenty fifteen years living abroad, so not much access to opera until I came back state-side. My favorite opera Don Giovanni, probably because it's the first I saw, but also because of the music. I fall in love with the music first, the voice second. In the case of Don Gio, it was a happy meld. Favorite composers besides Mozart first are Verdi second and Puccini third.

Hope to expand my opera horizons and join in many discussions!

Florestan
January 28th, 2019, 05:44 AM
Welcome to OperaLively. You will find many interesting operas discussed here to feed your love of opera. My favorite opera is Bellini's La Sonnambula. Oh and I do have a nice collection of Verdi and Puccini, as well as Wagner and many others, too many to list. And Handel's Messiah is my favorite oratorio. I see it live every December. I got my first Messiah set in the 1980s--on vinyl.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
January 28th, 2019, 07:40 AM
Hello terrased and welcome to the forum.

I'm not surprised Don G is your favourite opera, it's one of the best ever composed.

Do you see opera in Seattle? I went to see Attila a few years ago and loved the production and the opera house.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
January 29th, 2019, 05:33 AM
Welcome to Opera Lively! You probably already know that Seattle has a very fine opera company, so you won't miss New York City as much as if Seattle didn't have one.

terrased
February 1st, 2019, 06:01 AM
I had season tickets for a few years here in Seattle. Watching Lawrence Brownlee's Don Ottavio sas such an outstanding experience as was Mary Elizabeth Williams in Maria Stuarda. I think I'll buy the full season for 2019/2020.