PDA

View Full Version : Les Sylphides

Aramis
January 3rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Les Sylphides is short ballet music of which consists of works by Fryderyk Chopin, orchestrated in early XXth century by some of most important Russian composers of this time, most notably Alexander Glazunov. The ballet has no plot and is more of a poetic impression. A good explaination is to be found on wikipedia:

The ballet, often described as a "romantic reverie", was indeed the first ballet ever to be simply that. Les Sylphides has no plot, but instead consists of many white-clad sylphs dancing in the moonlight with the poet or young man dressed in white tights and a black top.

The orchestration is really well done, even more - sometimes it gets brilliant. My favourite is C-sharp minor waltz, the second, faster theme in particular sounds great in this arrangement.

I have just uploaded complete version of the ballet on YouTube and I recommend it as worth of 30 minutes (even less than that) of your attention:

[Link to video deleted by Admin - video no longer available]

HarpsichordConcerto
January 3rd, 2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks. Enjoyed it. There appears several CD versions but only one DVD version of it. The youtube link is not bad.