PDA

View Full Version : A non-intrusive way to help defray Web Hosting and other costs for the site

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
January 27th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Dear members, vBulletin has a capability that I have activated. It's called Skimlinks. It transforms references to names of singers or products into a clickable link to commercial sites that sell that product, such as the Amazon.com page for that product. If someone is willing to buy a DVD or a CD anyway from Amazon.com after reading a review here or having it mentioned in a discussion, if the product name figures as a clickable link (which appears in red), it would help the site if the person clicked on the link first to go buy it, instead of going to the Amazon.com site from outside of Opera Lively. In case a purchase is made, the site gets a small percentage of the sale, which helps with web hosting costs and other site expenses which are relatively considerable, and come all from the pocket of yours truly Almaviva.

This said, we'll always keep our independent journalistic approach - if a DVD is lousy, we'll continue to review it as lousy. But if something is good and you want to buy it, you may want to consider clicking on our link first before you buy. Of course, clicking on our link to the commercial site doesn't affect the price of the purchase, so it costs nothing to you, but it helps Opera Lively (the analogy here is like when you link your supermarket card to grade school PTA programs and the school gets a small share of what you pay for your groceries).

I have only activated the Amazon.com feature so far - I believe there are other sites that participate in the program as well; I'll look into linking our site to those other commercial sites (I know for instant that many here like to buy from Presto) when I have a moment to explore this (I know that amazon.co.uk is also a participant, this weekend when I have more time I'll look into linking us to them as well). In any case, I appreciate the help from those who may be willing to take this step before making a purchase that they were planning to make anyway, since the more I can get help with hosting costs, the better I'll be able to afford good storage capacity and processing power, resulting in faster loading of the site in your computers and a better experience for everybody. While we are fine now with the current package, the more the site grows, the more pressure will be put on bandwidth and storage; upgrades of hosting packages will be needed from time to time and some of these solutions can be quite costly, therefore it is desirable to make the site as close to self-sustaining as possible. Thank you.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
January 27th, 2012, 08:47 PM
That explains why some names have come up as links. Will order via the link when I can in future.

Soave_Fanciulla
January 28th, 2012, 05:45 AM
As I spend a small fortune at Presto classical each month that would be good. I also order from Amazon.uk, rarely now at Amazon.com because of their outrageous postage fees.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
January 28th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Darn. It doesn't look like Presto is a participant. As a top customer, maybe you should write to them and suggest that they join the program.
They should contact merchants@skimlinks.com

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
January 28th, 2012, 01:44 PM
It looks like amazon.co.uk is on now.
I think a sure way for people to make sure that Opera Lively will benefit from the program, is when they want to make a purchase, they could post it first, put a link to the product on their post (like in the thread about "what have you purchased lately?") then close that page in their browser from where they got the link, and then come back to Opera Lively, click on the link they have posted, and then buy the product.