PDA

View Full Version : My journey as a beginner.

treemaker
March 12th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Hi, everyone, I'm finally ready to post here.

I look around and clearly I am still a novice. So I have a lot of reading to do. Things are looking up for me, if I am to study opera. I live near Seattle. I have one friend who regularly gets passes to the dress rehearsals of the Seattle Opera productions, and has invited me to join her. Also, there is another gentleman here locally who does lecture presentations of the Seattle Opera productions for patrons of my county library system. I am hoping to attend these. Hopefully a year from now I will be in a better place, if I plod along at a steady pace.

treemaker

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
March 12th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Hi, everyone, I'm finally ready to post here.

I look around and clearly I am still a novice. So I have a lot of reading to do. Things are looking up for me, if I am to study opera. I live near Seattle. I have one friend who regularly gets passes to the dress rehearsals of the Seattle Opera productions, and has invited me to join her. Also, there is another gentleman here locally who does lecture presentations of the Seattle Opera productions for patrons of my county library system. I am hoping to attend these. Hopefully a year from now I will be in a better place, if I plod along at a steady pace.

treemaker

Well, isn't it the best of moments, when one is excitedly exploring opera and learning about this spectacular art form? We were all beginners at some point, and we remember those times with fondness. And even though many of us here are seasoned opera lovers, the journey never ends and learning is always ahead, since it is such a vast field.

I hope that Opera Lively will be instrumental in your learning, but of course, the best way to learn is to attend live opera, which you'll be doing by going to the dress rehearsals.

I wish you a lifetime of pleasure with opera.

treemaker
March 12th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Thank you, Alma, very much. It is a wonderful web-site. I am genuinely impressed with it. I will try to find ways of promoting it so you get more members. I promise not to pester you with too many private messages.

Ann Lander (sospiro)
March 12th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Hi treemaker & welcome to the forum. I am still very much a novice but the people on here are very kind & don't laugh at my faux-pas, well not too loudly anyway. :)

I went to Seattle in January to see Attila & had a fantastic time. Seattle Opera really do a lot to encourage new people with their lectures & pre-performance talks. If you do attend a performance I'd recommend going to Speight Jenkins' q & a session afterwards. The guy is a walking opera encyclopaedia!

Soave_Fanciulla
March 12th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Welcome treemaker, and enjoy the journey.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
March 12th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Hi treemaker & welcome to the forum. I am still very much a novice but the people on here are very kind & don't laugh at my faux-pas, well not too loudly anyway. :)

I went to Seattle in January to see Attila & had a fantastic time. Seattle Opera really do a lot to encourage new people with their lectures & pre-performance talks. If you do attend a performance I'd recommend going to Speight Jenkins' q & a session afterwards. The guy is a walking opera encyclopaedia!

Hey, treemaker, see if you can get this guy Speight Jenkins to join us! We have our own walking opera encyclopaedia, Schigolch, and I'm sure he'd love to have someone to discuss with (we often can't match Schigolch's knowledge so he must find us a bit boring, but he's generous with his knowledge; we're proud to have him).

Schigolch
March 12th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Welcome to OperaLively, treemaker.

Of course, I think this place is not boring, not even a little bit. It's rather lively. :)

You know, when you are starting to explore Opera is perhaps the single most rewarding period in the operatic life of any fan. I envy you.

CountessAdele
March 12th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Welcome treemaker! I'm a novice myself, and what Annie and Schigolch said is true. Nobody will look down on you here for not knowing something, and it's tremendously exciting to discover new things about opera! In fact I learned most of what I know from these guys! ;)

desiree
March 12th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Hi treemaker and welcome to Opera Lively! I am also new here and still have much to learn about Opera. I like it here. The people are very accommodating and ready to help us with reviews about products, singers, performances, and you can even turn to them, especially our seniors, for advice on food, wine, and the art of living. This is perhaps the best place for all your operatic needs, also the most organized and highly cerebral that I've encountered so far. I agree with what they say about Schigolch. If this were a class, Schigolch would be the prof. I hope you have a great time here. :D

treemaker
March 12th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Thank you.

That seems like an interesting project. I wonder what it would take for me to have 5 minutes with Speight Jenkins to tell him about Opera Lively. I have a solid lead on this fellow, Norm Hollingshead. He told me to introduce myself when I go to his next presentation. Well, I'll try. Does Mr. Jenkins have a mailing address, I wonder?

How about this: an ad for Opera Lively on the website seattleopera.org?

Scott

AnaMendoza
March 12th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Welcome to the Forum, treemaker!

Ann Lander (sospiro)
March 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Thank you.

That seems like an interesting project. I wonder what it would take for me to have 5 minutes with Speight Jenkins to tell him about Opera Lively. I have a solid lead on this fellow, Norm Hollingshead. He told me to introduce myself when I go to his next presentation. Well, I'll try. Does Mr. Jenkins have a mailing address, I wonder?

How about this: an ad for Opera Lively on the website seattleopera.org?

Scott

Speight.Jenkins@seattleopera.org

His Executive Assistant is Mary Brazeau - Mary.Brazeau@seattleopera.org

AnaMendoza
March 12th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Hmmm, Speight Jenkins annouces on King.org. They have an opera channel, that, if I'm correct, plays several operas in a rather long rotation. (I'm not sure how long, but I think at least a week, maybe more.) Is there any possibility that that'd lend itself to a link to Operalively's Opera In Depth Projects, if we had one for a given opera?

Right now, the rotation is: Hansel and Gretel; Tales of Hoffmann; and, last but not least, Il Trovatore.

Aramis
March 12th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Treemaker......................................... ............
................................. Seek............the ancient.......
..............Seek the ancient sword................
.............................Treemaker.........see k......
....................sword......................... ...........
... the ancient........................Treemaker.......
..... er..... ord..........seeeeeeeeeeeeeee............
.... k .... k .... k.... Treemaker!...................

AnaMendoza
March 12th, 2012, 09:03 PM
That's Aramis, Treemaker. You'll learn to love him, I'm sure.

Amfortas
March 12th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Welcome, treemaker! Great to have you with us. And don't worry about being a novice. The great thing about this site is, the people here are very gullible, so you can pretend to know all kinds of things and get away with it.

That's what I do. http://elouai.com/images/yahoo/30.gif

treemaker
March 12th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Here's the thing:

I sent brief, kind e-mail to Seattle Opera Mary Brazeau, who is, we are guessing, an assistant to The Man Himself. I received a reply back from Jonathan Dean, the Director of Public Programs and Media. All of this has been forwarded to Almaviva.

Seattle Opera has a very rich on-line presence already set up. Check it out at seattleopera.org. Pictures, interviews, blog, etc. They don't need to connect to Opera Lively, except to share what they already release. Mr. Dean gave me instructions on what form to fill out to get on their press list: a Request for Seattle Opera Media Services, and offered to have Almaviva contact him directly.

It's a shame they can't also advertise Opera Lively. I think this site adds to what they are trying to do with theirs.

treemaker
March 12th, 2012, 11:10 PM
So then my second project:

If any of you live in the Seattle area, you may have heard of Norm Hollingshead. Opera guru who does lecture presentations for the King County Library System. Rumor has it he has an e-mail list of over 900 people in the Seattle area. He is interested in Opera Lively. I am hoping he will advertise and then become a member himself. I have a chance April 25th to attend his lecture, shake his hand, introduce myself, and try to gain his support.

Elektra
March 19th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Hi, treemaker! Welcome

:happydance.2: