PDA

View Full Version : Another new member

smir
March 20th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Hi everyone,
I just joined and want to introduce myself.

I am a singer, with a Master's from Cincinnati, but who chose not to pursue a full-time career in opera. Instead, I work as a database administrator and sing on the side with my local opera company, which is a very good regional organization.

I love opera, and listen to it (usually Met Opera Radio) all the time. I consider myself an ever-evolving student of music, never reaching the level of knowledge that I wish I could possess.

I am happy to have found this forum and look forward to learning from you all!

Smir

Schigolch
March 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Welcome to Opera Lively, smir!.

I guess we are all ever-evolving students of music, aren't we?. :)

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
March 20th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Great, I'm glad that the registration problems we encountered yesterday have been solved and you've successfuly registered. Welcome aboard, smir! Yes, definitely, since you've disclosed it yourself by quoting your location - Winston-Salem - I can say without breaching confidentiality that yes, Piedmont Opera is a great organization, and you may want to notice that as of two days ago Opera Lively was granted the status of official media partner with Piedmont Opera. We'll be working in close collaboration with maestro Allbritten. So, consider yourself at home!

smir
March 20th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks, Almaviva. Yes, I believe we are so incredibly blessed to have Piedmont Opera, along with Jamie Allbritten and Marilyn Taylor in this area. And all of the other folks at UNCSA, too! The productions are consistently good, year after year.
Congratulations on your partnership!

Aramis
March 20th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I guess we are all ever-evolving students of music, aren't we?. :)

No, we're not.

I, for one, am Shakespeare.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
March 20th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Marilyn Taylor is an Opera Lively member, and has been supporting us a lot and opening doors for us. It is great to see more people joining from the professional side of the opera world like yourself - even though you haven't pursued an operatic career, you got the training and you sing with Piedmont opera. This will enhance our discussions of vocal technique, our reviews, etc., so, please participate a lot!

Ann Lander (sospiro)
March 20th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Hi everyone,
I just joined and want to introduce myself.

I am a singer, with a Master's from Cincinnati, but who chose not to pursue a full-time career in opera. Instead, I work as a database administrator and sing on the side with my local opera company, which is a very good regional organization.

I love opera, and listen to it (usually Met Opera Radio) all the time. I consider myself an ever-evolving student of music, never reaching the level of knowledge that I wish I could possess.

I am happy to have found this forum and look forward to learning from you all!

Smir

Welcome smir! And may I introduce our resident genius - the brilliant if slightly eccentric Monsieur Aramis

No, we're not.

I, for one, am Shakespeare.

OK Will - what would you say if some music guy wanted to base an opera on one of your plays?

Aramis
March 20th, 2012, 07:27 PM
OK Will - what would you say if some music guy wanted to base an opera on one of your plays?

How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a bad opera based on your play! But the course of true art never did run smooth.

Amfortas
March 20th, 2012, 08:37 PM
How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a bad opera based on your play! But the course of true art never did run smooth.

OMG, that proves it . . . he really *is* Shakespeare! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-040.gif

Welcome, smir. I hope you will be an active participant and give us the benefit of your insider's persepective!

Aksel
March 21st, 2012, 09:47 PM
Hello, Smir, and welcome to the forum. I'm Aksel, the resident trombonist, by the way.

I see you've met Aramis, and I think that should be about it.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
March 22nd, 2012, 12:24 AM
Hello, Smir, and welcome to the forum. I'm Aksel, the resident trombonist, by the way.

I see you've met Aramis, and I think that should be about it.

Hey, what do you mean? She hasn't met our resident Wagnerian green monster yet!

CountessAdele
March 22nd, 2012, 02:01 AM
Welcome Smir!! Welcome to our wonderful, passionate, slightly eccentric community! The more the merrier.

p.s. A singer!! You and I will definately have to talk!

Elektra
March 22nd, 2012, 04:07 PM
Hi and welcome! :)

treemaker
March 22nd, 2012, 10:00 PM
What is the proper word? Fach? What fach are you, out of curiosity. Welcome to the forum!

HarpsichordConcerto
March 31st, 2012, 11:02 AM
Welcome smir! How exciting to have fellow memebers who are also real life opera singers!