PDA

View Full Version : New Member - Just Joined

Mascagnian
April 7th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Greetings.
I just joined. This is my first message.
My opera interests are primarily 19th century Italian (Mascagni, Rossini, Donizetti, Puccini, Giordano, Bellini, and Verdi being my favorites). However, I am also quite drawn to French baroque (Rameau) and, among the Russians, Rimsky-Korsakov is at the top. Among the Germans, I'll take Strauss over Wagner.
And on a pedestal all his own is the sublime Mozart.
I look forward to enhancing my opera education at this site, and will also look forward to some occaisonal participation, though I will probably do more reading and lurking than anything else.

Schigolch
April 7th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Welcome to Opera Lively, Mascagnian!.

There are quite a few lovers of Mascagni (and, of course, of Italian opera) in this site. In fact, if you can read Italian, we have one fresh review of a performance of Iris, in Verona, in our Italian language subforum. :)

Ann Lander (sospiro)
April 7th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Hi Mascagnian & welcome to the forum from another huge fan of Italian opera.

My avatar is a photo I took in Mantova on a trip to Italy but don't worry I won't bore you with the details ... yet. :biggrin:

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
April 7th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Welcome, Mascagnian (clever moniker!), and I hope you'll enjoy our site, and contribute from time to time.

Amfortas
April 7th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Welcome, Mascagnian! Enjoy our site, and please feel free to contribute as often as you like! We always enjoy hearing from new members.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
April 8th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Oh, and by the way, Mascagnian, in the matter of opera education, do notice that we actually have three areas where educational content can be found.

One is the forum called Educational Threads: http://operalively.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/26-Educational-Threads - this one will be used less and less in the future as we move content to the other two areas.

Another one is the Home page when you click on the Section Widget (top left side) and open the links to Exclusive Articles, where there are some educational series such as Opera In-Depth, Beyond the Standard Repertory, OTF, etc.

Then, there is also www.operalively.com/learn - and this is where in the future most of the educational content will be placed (there's already a bunch there, if you click on the various archived articles listed by month), once we finish reorganizing our content (should happen over the summer when we'll get less busy with the current opera seasons, and will spend some time revamping and upgrading the site).

And of course, many of our knowledgeable members post very educational posts here and there in the various threads.

One of the things you'll notice in our site is that we're all very friendly and polite, and people of all levels of operatic knowledge enjoy various exchanges without snobbish or contemptuous behaviors. Those who know more guide those who are still beginning their journey, and we all respect other members' views.

We struggle to make of this site a place with *very* high standards of civility, and we engage from the lightest fare to the most specialized posts and threads with a high level of tolerance for our fellow members' strengths and eventual limitations. Everybody is welcome here regardless of level of expertise!

Enjoy!

Mascagnian
April 8th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Thank you Almaviva.
This site is incredible. It is going to take me several days to view the numerous threads and discussions that are going to be of interest to me.

Schigolch
April 8th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Well, in about four months we have already published nearly 10,000 posts, that is indeed a good number. :)