PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm Elena

Elena House
May 23rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
Hi Everyone.

My name is Elena and I’m 13 years old. I have been enjoying Opera since I was 3 years old. I have been learning classical singing from an ex-opera singer in Paris, France through video exchange and emails since I live near Atlanta, Georgia. I was hoping that along with joining in the discussions that I could get some feedback from the members here on my “Opera” singing. I quote that because I am too young to sing true Opera yet but along with my vocalises my teacher has me sing some easier Opera songs. He has also stressed that I am not allowed to push my volume in order to protect my young vocal cords. We work on mouth position and breathing support a lot and let the microphone assist in the volume.

I admit that I am a bit nervous to get into the discussions due to my inexperience but I will give it my best honest try. I obviously don’t have a history of seeing some of the old greats perform but my all time favorite soprano is Maria Callas. I have listened to her CD 100 times. My teacher said she was best before the 1970’s but I love all her singing.

I also play classical piano, act, dance, do gymnastics, and martial arts.

Here is a video of my very first Opera “Porgi Amor” from Le nozze di Figaro. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veb6gvWDoNs

treemaker
May 23rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
Greetings! Welcome to the Forum! We are glad to have someone so young who is passionate about opera.

Please consider using an alias instead of your real name. First of all, it's very creative to come up with your own alias. More importantly, it is an Internet security measure. If you use your real name, people can Google you and see your post. I'm not sure about you, but I don't want that for me, so I use an alias to feel more secure on the Internet.

First names seem to be fine. My alias is treemaker but I always sign my name Scott.

I'm really looking forward to having you on the forum.

Soave_Fanciulla
May 23rd, 2012, 09:49 PM
Hi Elena and welcome to the forum.

Elektra
May 23rd, 2012, 10:35 PM
Hi, Elena! Welcome :D

Ann Lander (sospiro)
May 23rd, 2012, 11:54 PM
Hi Elena & welcome to the forum. I'm really looking forward to reading your thoughts & opinions, I wish I'd started my opera journey when I was 3 years old. It must be so exciting to know that you have the rest of your life to learn about & enjoy this wonderful art form.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
May 24th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Welcome, Elena. Treemaker makes a good point but judging from your signature, it's too late because the cat is out of the bag already, since you have a public YouTube channel and Facebook page in which you use your real name anyway. (Treemaker, we did check with Elena's father - given her young age - when she joined, and he is OK with all of this). I assume that by doing so, Elena (meaning, having a public channel and all), you are aiming at continuing your education and eventually embracing a professional singing career. We wish you good luck, and lots of prudence in developing your voice without damaging it, like your voice teacher said. This is an interesting interview for you to read, which at one point does address the topic of very young singers:

http://operalively.com/forums/content.php/274-Operatic-Education-an-interview-with-an-educator-and-a-student

Our member CountessAdele is also a young voice student; I told her about you and she is looking forward to befriending you.

About participation in the discussions, we have several levels of expertise and several levels of depth in our web site. In the www.operalively.com/learn area of our site (it's a Wordpress area with a very different design and different objectives) you'll find some rather advanced educational articles on voice technique, etc., both current and by clicking on the archives; most of them authored by our administrator Schigolch who commands immense operatic knowledge. They'll probably be interesting reads for you. We have also threads called Opera In-Depth and Singer In-Depth that aim at analyzing operas and singers in a deeper manner (you find those either in the Learn area, or by clicking on the Section Widget on the top left of the Home page, under Exclusive Articles).

But in the general areas of the forum we pretty much just discuss our favorite operas and favorite singers without any requirement for any particular expertise or depth - it's just for our fun and for sharing with like-minded people our passion for the art form. We have members of all levels, from people who have joined because they had never encountered opera before and want to learn about it, to people who are musicians, all the way to people like Schigolch who have extensive experience and expertise.

So feel free to jump into the discussions - and hey, we're all here to learn and have fun; operatic learning never ends. Our community here is not snobbish and we do not put down anybody for being beginners, much the opposite - we *want* to have beginners since one of the core missions of the web site is to foster operatic education and diffusion. And since you've been seeing opera since a young age and you are learning to sing it and can play the piano, you're already miles ahead of many of us (including myself, since I'm an opera enthusiast but not a musician, and I can't sing or play anything).

So, have fun, and if in the future you have any concerns about your online participation here, talk to the administrators and moderators.

treemaker
May 24th, 2012, 12:43 AM
I feel bad for having said anything. I apologize. I am only concerned for your safety.

Scott

Elena House
May 24th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I feel bad for having said anything. I apologize. I am only concerned for your safety.

Scott

I very much appreciate your concern Scott. Definitely no need for an apology. Makes me feel more welcome that you care.

As Mr. Almaviva said we talked privately first and my dad sent him an email. My dad's worker is real good at search engine optimization so if you do type in Elena House in Google I come up a lot.

I have this one crazy guy from the UK who makes a new Google account every night and clicks "thumbs down" on all my videos almost every night!?! My parents never let me out of their sight and I'm home-schooled so that's pretty much all the time.

Thank you again for caring.

Elena

CountessAdele
May 24th, 2012, 01:38 AM
About your singing Elena, color me impressed! You sound like you're exactly where you need to be, and your teacher is right to caution you about pushing it. My only advice is don't rush! You're very young, so you've got lots of time to build a technique. Use that time wisely, if you try to learn in a hurry your technique will suffer for it. I learned this the hard way, and temporarily lost my voice for my trouble. Also (you've probably heard this before) don't worry about what fach you're going to be yet because your voice still has some changing to do.

Ok I think I've spent my last reserves of sage wisdom. Haha, happy singing!

P.S. Gorgeous dress by the way! ;)

Elena House
May 24th, 2012, 01:48 AM
This is an interesting interview for you to read, which at one point does address the topic of very young singers:

http://operalively.com/forums/content.php/274-Operatic-Education-an-interview-with-an-educator-and-a-student

Thank you Mr. Almaviva. That was a great article. I'm definitely going to show my dad the information about the University of North Carolina School of the Arts. It's not that far from us.

Elena House
May 28th, 2012, 10:06 PM
don't worry about what fach you're going to be yet

P.S. Gorgeous dress by the way! ;)

I have hopes to be a Spinto but I have a long way to go.

The dresses are half the fun of course.

treemaker
May 31st, 2012, 02:59 PM
Elena, I found a newspaper article that might interest you. HERE (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thearts/2018321283_denna31.html?cmpid=2628)

A 15 year old girl, Denna Good-Mojab studies opera and attends college. She will be singing in the Seattle Opera "Turandot".

Elena House
June 8th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Elena, I found a newspaper article that might interest you. HERE (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thearts/2018321283_denna31.html?cmpid=2628)

A 15 year old girl, Denna Good-Mojab studies opera and attends college. She will be singing in the Seattle Opera "Turandot".

Thank you @treemaker. I enjoyed that article a lot. 15 is only a year and a half away and I have so much to learn. No rush though. Sorry for the late response. I did get a little "busy" suddenly when a boy singer from Youtube and his family from L.A. stopped by our house on their way to some business in South Carolina. They left him with us and now we are trying to find a song to sing as a duet. Oh, he has the same French voice teacher that I have, Mr. Didier. Mr. Didier said it would take too long to perfect an opera duet so we are working on a Broadway. I think we'll do "A heart full of love" from Les Mis.
Thanks again. Back to work.

Elena House
June 13th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Hi everyone! I've been working really hard on this next piece. We just posted it to Youtube yesterday.

I'm singing "Chi il Bel Sogno di Doretta" from Puccini's "La Rondine".

I hope you like it. :scared2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwArBG2CJug

operababe
June 25th, 2012, 02:45 AM
May I add my 1 cent? (Used to be 2 cents, but with inflation.........) Speaking from experience, I began studying voice at 9 years old, because I wanted it desperately, and my parents didn't know what to do with me. That is ridiculously young, but I had a great teacher who consented to give me one lesson a month, to keep me from finding some charlatan who would promise to make me the next Tebaldi, at age 10. Gradually, we worked our way up to twice a week, until I began studying at Juilliard. I only mention a little background, to assure Elena that her passion is well placed, and she's not alone. However........I do caution, that at age 13, you and your teacher should be very careful of what you sing. I didn't graduate to arias for a couple of years. And I fear "Porgi Amor" is a little beyond a 13-yr-old voice. It's Mozart, and it's gorgeous, but it requires a very secure technique, and a long legato line. These are no small feats at any age. And at 13, you can't really tell what your fach will be. When I first began working on Nozze de Figaro, I sang Susanna, and also worked on Cherubino. I didn't even try the Countess until much later. I know this is hard for you to hear, Elena, especially when you love opera so much, but you have a whole lifetime ahead of you. Patience. And keep loving opera with a passion.

Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)
June 25th, 2012, 05:09 AM
This thread has been closed due to a discussion that violates the Terms of Service, rules 1 and 2.
Allowing the discussion to continue would inevitably result in penalties, which would be a first for Opera Lively.
Instead, I took preventive action.
Opera Lively is a civil place, and needs to remain so. I absolutely insist on this, and won't have it otherwise.
The questionable material has been removed, and with it, posts that did not violate the TOS but quoted the material that did, have also been removed.