• The Opera Lively Serial Novel Project - Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The house stood alone on a hill on the outskirts of the city. A man was standing on the balcony right outside the 2nd story study. It was a cold night, and there was really no reason for him to be standing outside; his arthritis had been acting up lately. He could have sent one of the servants. Still, he had to see it himself. The servants could not be trusted anymore. And they were almost listening. Only here could he be safe. But still, he would manage.
    A car was driving up the winding path that led to the house.

“Finally”

After a while, the door behind him opened and a man cleared his throat.

“There is someone here to see you, master,” the man behind him said. One of the servants. His name might be James. Or Rupert. He had never bothered to learn their names.

“Good. Send him out here.”

The door closed.

After a while, the door opened again.

“It is done, master,” a voice said.

“Close the door behind you.” The servants were always listening. They mustn’t know about this. He did not turn. “What about the Crivelli woman?”

“She will be dealt with shortly.”

“That still leaves the last one.”

“Who, master? I thought Crivelli was to be the last one?”

“Never mind. It is not important.”

“Who is it? Tell me! I deserve to know!” The man behind him was getting angry.

“Deserve? Don’t make me laugh. Why should I tell you, of all people?”

The man behind him grew quiet. Finally, he said: “I’ve killed Linda Freeman.”

“Who?” This name was new to him. Of course he knew of her, so did just about anyone. But she had not been part of the plan. This would put the whole operation in grave danger. “Why on earth did you do that?”

“The woman deserved it. She killed my father.”

Now there was a surprise. The two of them had never been trustworthy, but he would never have suspected them to kidnap singers left and right. This could mean trouble.

Silence.

“You disappoint me, John. I expected more of you.”

He turned to face John, whose expression was at the same time strangely expressionless, yet at the same time deeply quizzical. It reminded him of a puppy.

“Why did you take the Freeman woman? She was never part of the plan.”

John looked bewildered.

“What? I-I-I didn’t know that. I only did what my father told me.” That old fool. Always doing what he wanted instead of what had to be done. It was probably for the best that he was dead. But what about the Freeman woman? She had never been a target. Her death was very bad news indeed. Unless …

“Where did you hide the body?”

“The body is where we’ve always hidden them.” John looked hesitant.

“And?”

“I sent the head to the police.” Guilt and remorse filled John’s face, like that of a schoolboy having been caught stealing apples.

This was the last drop. John could not be trusted any more.

“Please leave me, John. You have done enough.”

“But …”

“No but. Go.”

John turned towards the door, now open. Rupert or James or whatever his name was stood in the study. He came out on the balcony as John left the study.

“Is there anything I can do, master?” Rupert looked as if he was smelling something horrible.

“Yes. Kill John Walewski.”
    This article was originally published in forum thread: The Opera Lively Serial Novel Project started by Amfortas View original post

free html visitor counters
hit counter

Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera