• OTF - Il Trittico Part Four - The Recordings

In this final installment of my series on Il Trittico, I wanted to discuss the discography of the work, both as a set and individually. I am most familiar with two “complete” Trittico sets. They are:

The EMI reference set
    (Bellezza, Serafin, Santini, Gobbi)
    Tito Gobbi is stong at both ends of the performance spectrum, as the tragic Michele in Tabarro and as the trickster Schicchi.

Victoria de Los Angeles pulls off a terrific Angelica.

The Decca reference set
    ( Gardelli/ Tebaldi/Del Monaco/Merrill/Corena)
    . Robert Merrill, the consummate “character” bass-baritone, nails Michele in the dark Tabarro. Here is, again, the finale from that opera with the Decca cast:

Corena (as you noticed in my post from last week) is a very able Schicchi. Renata Tebaldi is, bar none, my favourite Puccini soprano.

Clearly, there are many more. According to the ArkivMusic website, there are 13 releases of the “complete” Tritticos. There are certainly more…

Among the most recent releases, is the newest CD and Blu-Ray release of the Covent Garden Trittico with Pappano, Gallo, Demuro, Westbroek, Larsson. Thanks to links provided by Soave_Fanciulla, I have added these to my Trittico YouTube playlist. I must confess, however, that I am not sold on the recasting of these operas in modern times, and am particularly perplexed with the ANgelica staging in a children's hospital rather than in a convent. To each his or her own, I guess...

As one-act operas, some of the Trittico works are used as filler with other one-act operas, like the coupling of Leinsdorf’s Tabarro with Santi’s CAV (http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...lbum_id=219496), Suor Angelica with L'amore dei tre re by Italo Montemezzi (http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...album_id=23190 )

Wolfgang Sawallisch and the Bavarian State Opera have issued German versions of some of the Trittico operas (as well as PAG), and there is something intriguing about hearing Gianni Schicchi being sung by Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...album_id=51972)

What about some of your favourutes?

free html visitor counters
hit counter

Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera