• Amfortas

by Published on May 5th, 2012 12:58 AM

Chapter 14

Schiudendo forte,
    mi salse al viso un gelido soffio,
    quasi di morte.

An icy chill, like an omen of death. Brushing the premonition aside, she opened the box and peered at its contents.
    by Published on April 25th, 2012 01:07 AM

Chapter 11

"You son of a bitch!"

Risi had the man backed up against the dressing room wall, hands around his throat. Caught off guard, Green struggled in the smaller man's grasp.

"What the hell's wrong with you?" he wheezed.

"Stop it! Stop it! Let him go!" Lindstrom cried.
    by Published on April 3rd, 2012 03:51 PM

Chapter 9

Quale occhio al mondo
    può star di paro
    all'ardente occhio tuo nero?

The new tenor was not so able a vocalist, or nearly as photogenic, as Marcello Gui. Still, he wasn't bad for short notice, and was holding up reasonably well under the added pressure of a live broadcast. The Opera Goes to the Movies series, far too lucrative to pass up, was going ahead as planned.
    by Published on March 27th, 2012 12:33 AM

Chapter 7

At last she awoke. As her eyes cleared, she sat up and looked around her. She was on a canopied bed, in a room with stone walls and a vaulted ceiling, filled with bouquets of flowers on ornate metal stands. From far away came the echo of a piano playing a mournful étude.
    by Published on March 10th, 2012 01:10 AM

Chapter 4

Heiajoho! Grane!
    Grüss' deinen Herren!

Her face beamed with an ecstatic fervor as she addressed her imaginary horse.
    by Published on March 10th, 2012 12:59 AM

Chapter 1

"Ah! Morto! Morto!"

She knelt by the bullet-riddled body, weeping uncontrollably.

"O Mario . . . morto . . . tu . . ."

The firing squad had marched off, leaving her alone with her fallen lover.
    by Published on March 10th, 2012 12:52 AM

Back in my college teaching days, I had my students write serial novels. Each person would contribute a chapter, one after the other, letting the story develop freely. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But it was always an interesting challenge.

I thought we might write our own opera-related serial novel. I know most of us aren't professional authors, but we all enjoy writing (or we wouldn't be here). Anyway, this type of collaborative method isn't intended to produce a masterpiece. But with such a bright group of people, we may come up with something fun and memorable. So take a chance and join in!

A title for the novel has been proposed: "Opera Deadly"
    by Published on January 9th, 2012 11:26 PM
    Article Preview

Il Trovatore presents many challenges for the director. With its wildly implausible story line, puzzling ellipses in narrative, and constant shifts of location, it's hard to make the opera coherent or comprehensible, let alone believable. Too often the work is dismissed as a ridiculous potboiler, Verdi's relapse to the "bad old days" when tuneful, stirring music trumped any concern with dramatic viability.

Nevertheless, modern directors have embraced the opera, in spite or perhaps because of its difficulties. Some update the action to a different historical period in order to provide a context for the work's unbridled violence and eroticism. For other interpreters, though, the opera's wildly melodramatic improbabilities suggest a dreamlike atmosphere, prompting visual approaches freed from conventional realism or narrative logic.

The following article will examine several recent productions and the ways different directors have tackled the challenge of Il Trovatore. In the interest of full disclosure, it should be mentioned that this will be a survey, based on research, rather than a set of first-hand reviews. Hopefully, though, these brief descriptions will help indicate the widely varied staging possibilities for Verdi's masterwork.
    by Published on December 18th, 2011 12:54 AM     Number of Views: 6848 
    Article Preview

Verdi intended La Traviata to be not only a musical entertainment, but a challenging work of theatre. Going against operatic tradition, he presented a modern-day drama of the Parisian demi-monde, featuring a courtesan who tries to embrace a more conventional life, is thwarted by social stigma, and succumbs to the ravages of tuberculosis.

Nevertheless, despite Verdi's scrupulous intentions, from its very premiere the work has been staged in other than the originally intended setting. Censors, afraid of the work's topicality, caused the first productions to be set in the safe distance of the early 1700s:
    by Published on December 15th, 2011 03:10 AM     Number of Views: 3892 

Richard Strauss's Ariadne auf Naxos floundered in the wake of the composer's greatest popularity. After ...
  • Recent Activity Widget

Schigolch

What opera have you been listening to, lately?

Thread Starter: Schigolch

This is a classical thread in every musical Forum out there. Right now I'n reviewing Il Trovatore recordings for the in-Depth thread. This is the...

Last Post By: Florestan July 10th, 2020, 03:52 PM Go to last post
    Dark_Angel

What opera have you purchased recently?

Thread Starter: Dark_Angel

Related thread to "listening now" tell us what you have been buying....... (obsessive buyers confess your sins here) I made a couple purchases...

Last Post By: Florestan July 6th, 2020, 05:27 PM Go to last post
    Elektra

News

Thread Starter: Elektra

Anna Netrebko to undergo foot surgery, cancels performances in Germany and London It is with great regret that Anna Netrebko must cancel her...

Last Post By: MAuer June 28th, 2020, 11:20 AM Go to last post
    Dark_Angel

What opera have you been watching lately?

Thread Starter: Dark_Angel

Like the "what CD listening to lately" thread what opera DVD, Blu Ray or youtube are you watching lately, any comments always welcome...... - - -...

Last Post By: Florestan July 9th, 2020, 05:04 AM Go to last post
    Schigolch

Complete operas on youtube

This thread is for complete YouTube operas. Some of the ones posted here sometimes get removed from YouTube so if you see a black screen that's what...

Last Post By: Florestan July 9th, 2020, 05:05 AM Go to last post
    Ann Lander (sospiro)

New and upcoming CDs, DVDs, and blu-rays

Thread Starter: Ann Lander (sospiro)

I expect those of you who get the Presto Classical facebook feed will have seen this but better to get the information twice than not at all. ...

Last Post By: MAuer June 30th, 2020, 12:02 PM Go to last post
    Ann Lander (sospiro)

Streaming

Bayerische Staatsoper (Munich Opera House) is streaming live two operas - L'elisir d'amore and Don Carlo. Details This is great news, just...

Last Post By: Nemorino July 2nd, 2020, 03:07 AM Go to last post
    Schigolch

Modern and Contemporary Opera on DVD, blu-ray, and CD

The Passenger by Weinberg Michelle Breedt (Lisa) Roberto Sacca (Walter) Elena Kelessidi (Martha) Artur Rucinski (Tadeusz) Svetlana Doneva...

Last Post By: Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) June 22nd, 2020, 01:57 AM Go to last post
    Samurai

Latest Classical CD Purchases

Thread Starter: Samurai

I thought it might be nice if we had--as do our sister forums of MIMF and TC--a section devoted to what our members have recently purchased in the...

Last Post By: Florestan June 20th, 2020, 01:47 AM Go to last post
    Ann Lander (sospiro)

Jonas Kaufmann

Kaufmann in 1993. I love his voice here.

Last Post By: MAuer June 23rd, 2020, 11:26 AM Go to last post
    Amfortas

30-Day Opera Challenge

Thread Starter: Amfortas

You've asked for it! You've waited for it! And now, at last, you've got it! It's the official Opera Lively 30-Day Opera Challenge! The idea...

Last Post By: Florestan June 14th, 2020, 07:54 PM Go to last post
    MAuer

The Critics’ Picks and Pans

Thread Starter: MAuer

These are the reviewers’ assessments of new or reissued recordings from the July issue of Opernwelt: http://www.opernwelt.de/ RECOMMENDED - ...

Last Post By: MAuer July 9th, 2020, 11:49 AM Go to last post
    Albert7

Current Non Vocal Classical Listening

Thread Starter: Albert7

What classical albums are you guys currently listening to which is orchestral? I am loving this one lately:

Last Post By: Itullian July 10th, 2020, 01:38 PM Go to last post
    Ann Lander (sospiro)

Miscellaneous YouTube videos

I thought I'd start a thread. :) Countertenor - Douglas Dodson Bass - Nicolas Brooymans

Last Post By: Ann Lander (sospiro) June 18th, 2020, 03:32 PM Go to last post
    Nemorino

2020/2021 Season

Thread Starter: Nemorino

DALLAS OPERA 2020-2021: Mozart - The Marriage of Figaro Cast: Phillipe Sly, Golda Schultz, Virginie Verrez, Sara Gartland, Andrei Bondarenko ...

Last Post By: MAuer June 29th, 2020, 12:07 PM Go to last post
    Ann Lander (sospiro)

Opera in the times of COVID

There have been some interesting articles about this so I thought I'd start a new thread. Interview with Ermonela Jaho in Operawire....

Last Post By: Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) July 9th, 2020, 12:28 AM Go to last post
    Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)

Patricia Janeckova is growing more and more

Thread Starter: Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)

Patricia Janeckova was for a while a very pretty teenager who sang the light repertory very well even before formal training. She's been out of the...

Last Post By: MAuer June 23rd, 2020, 11:32 AM Go to last post
    itywltmt

OTF - Short Stories Edition

Thread Starter: itywltmt

Greetings from your “On Again, Off Again” OperaLively contributor. Proud to say I’m “On Again”. It’s been nearly a year since I last...

Last Post By: itywltmt July 7th, 2020, 03:43 PM Go to last post
    Florestan

Dorothy Kirsten

Thread Starter: Florestan

What a beautiful voice. Some good information on her here: http://www.bruceduffie.com/kirsten.html

Last Post By: MAuer June 21st, 2020, 12:13 PM Go to last post

free html visitor counters
hit counter

Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera