Thread: Watching Opera DVDs in 3D

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member Couchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching Opera DVDs in 3D

Have you ever tried watching your opera DVDs in simulated 3D?

Generally simulated 3D has a poor reputation, because of the complex composition of movies the effect struggles. However the 'boxiness' of the opera stage really lends itself well to 3D rendering I'm finding, as long as the lighting is not too complex (which causes the 3D to go haywire). Especially minimalistic stagings, the singers pop out quite nicely and with good 3D perspective on the stage. With subtitles off it really approaches a live stage!

If you have a 3D HDTV, try it!
    Doch dieses Wörtlein: und, -wär' es zerstört,
    wie anders als mit Isoldes eignem Leben wär' Tristan der Tod gegeben?

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchie View Post
    Have you ever tried watching your opera DVDs in simulated 3D?

Generally simulated 3D has a poor reputation, because of the complex composition of movies the effect struggles. However the 'boxiness' of the opera stage really lends itself well to 3D rendering I'm finding, as long as the lighting is not too complex (which causes the 3D to go haywire). Especially minimalistic stagings, the singers pop out quite nicely and with good 3D perspective on the stage. With subtitles off it really approaches a live stage!

If you have a 3D HDTV, try it!
    Huh. I do have a 3D HDTV, so I may try it. Anna's La Traviata in the Willy Decker staging might be a good one to try.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I'll ever stop listening/watching operas on my 40-years old hoover and get some good equipment I may try such modern extravagances. So far, no way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Huh. I do have a 3D HDTV, so I may try it. Anna's La Traviata in the Willy Decker staging might be a good one to try.
    If you do, play around with the perspective settings (I have a Samsung, I assume others have the same capability). You can set the image to either pop out in front of the screen, or have depth into the screen. Both are interesting but the 2nd is what looks like a realistic opera stage, especially when the camera is zoomed out to show the whole stage.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you do, play around with the perspective settings (I have a Samsung, I assume others have the same capability). You can set the image to either pop out in front of the screen, or have depth into the screen. Both are interesting but the 2nd is what looks like a realistic opera stage, especially when the camera is zoomed out to show the whole stage.
    Mine is Vizio. First of all I need to find the manual, I have no idea where I put it. But I do remember from browsing it when I bought the unit, that it is capable of simulated 3D, which I never used. You do know that there is Carmen in 3D, right?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Mine is Vizio. First of all I need to find the manual, I have no idea where I put it. But I do remember from browsing it when I bought the unit, that it is capable of simulated 3D, which I never used. You do know that there is Carmen in 3D, right?
    I didn't. Have you seen it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't. Have you seen it?

http://www.amazon.com/Bizet-Carmen-p...s=carmen+in+3d

I haven't seen it. Reviews are not very favorable on specialized opera publications but are enthusiastic on Amazon.com

You know what? I've just ordered it. Couldn't resist the curiosity.

Delivery date is Wednesday so I may watch it next weekend and will let you know.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 25th, 2012 at 11:10 PM.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh nooooooo.....

The first thing you do when you get your nice new LED TV is disable all 3D and power saving features that can degrade picture quality, 3D is a silly marketing gimic requiring viewer to wear cumbersome 3D glasses, it is not for me

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a novelty; wearing 3D "glasses" and all that. But I am more than willing to give it a try. I doubt I will be bothered with the "glasses" every time. And Blu-ray is already quite excellent so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Oh nooooooo.....

The first thing you do when you get your nice new LED TV is disable all 3D and power saving features that can degrade picture quality, 3D is a silly marketing gimic requiring viewer to wear cumbersome 3D glasses, it is not for me

Well, I've had this 3DTV for a year and all of my use of the 3D capacity was limited to having watched one documentary on the International Space Station, one about the bottom of the ocean with nice fish, and one about the 2010 World Cup. It's neat, the effects are cool. Otherwise I just use it as a regular HDTV. No need to disable anything, since the 3D only kicks in when you play 3D material (it actually then comes up with a screen asking if you want to enable the 3D effects, so, they're disabled by default). I'm just curious to see if this 3D Carmen reproduces better the experience of being at the opera house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Oh nooooooo.....

Interestingly I find it actually enhances the apparent picture quality of the older DVDs which are grainy and don't look great stretched to 55".

Also be sure to disable the "motion smoothing" now on most TVs which make movies eerily smooth and like cheap soap operas.