Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Current Symphonic Listening

Bookmark and Share
    Junior Member Recent member Samurai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    @ itlywltmt, Your comments on Nielsen are fascinating; I never noticed before about the 4th Symphony being the only one of his symphonies w/o a sub-title. As you suggest, perhaps he was so overwhelmed by the horrors of the First World War that he thought it was pointless to even attempt to put any label or title on this work. I also really like his 5th Symphony, which does have a sort of martial feel to it with the snare drums "battling" the rest of the orchestra, almost like machine guns. Nielsen has rapidly become one of my favorite composers as has Sibelius. I just purchased a box set of the latter's complete symphonic cycle {listening to the 2nd even as I type this} done by the Vienna Philharmonic under Lorin Maazel, and I am really impressed with his interpretations. He really seems to make Sibelius' music breathe and come alive, as opposed to some other conductors I've heard. Now, if I can only find a good box set of Nielsen's Symphonies as well! Any suggestions on this score by you or any of our fellow members would be much appreciated indeed.
    You've got to pick up every stitch. Oh No....Must be the Season of the Witch.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    a couple weeks ago I went out to the Philadelphia Orchestra. Yannick did Jen Higdon's concerto for orchestra, Rachmaninov's "suite on a theme by Paganini" or something like that, and Tchaikovsky's 2nd "the Little Russian". it was a really awesome afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Sibelius--Symphony No.5 in E-Flat Major, Op.82, Symphony No.6 in D Minor, Op.104 and Symphony No.7 in C Major, Op.105.
    All are performed by the Vienna Philharmonic under the direction of Lorin Maazel.
    Peter Tchaikovsky--Symphony No.4 in F Minor,Op.36 and Symphony No.5 in E Minor, Op.64, both featuring Herbert von Karajan leading the Vienna Philharmonic.

Senior Member Involved Member itywltmt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    @ itlywltmt, Your comments on Nielsen are fascinating; I never noticed before about the 4th Symphony being the only one of his symphonies w/o a sub-title. As you suggest, perhaps he was so overwhelmed by the horrors of the First World War that he thought it was pointless to even attempt to put any label or title on this work. I also really like his 5th Symphony, which does have a sort of martial feel to it with the snare drums "battling" the rest of the orchestra, almost like machine guns. Nielsen has rapidly become one of my favorite composers as has Sibelius. I just purchased a box set of the latter's complete symphonic cycle {listening to the 2nd even as I type this} done by the Vienna Philharmonic under Lorin Maazel, and I am really impressed with his interpretations. He really seems to make Sibelius' music breathe and come alive, as opposed to some other conductors I've heard. Now, if I can only find a good box set of Nielsen's Symphonies as well! Any suggestions on this score by you or any of our fellow members would be much appreciated indeed.
    For the Nielsen symphonies, the best "complete" sets IMO are by Herbert Blomstedt. I know of two - one he did some time back with the Danish RSO for EMI, and a second he did (digital) for Decca with the San Francisco SO. They are both excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanGesamtkunstwerk View Post
    a couple weeks ago I went out to the Philadelphia Orchestra. Yannick did Jen Higdon's concerto for orchestra, Rachmaninov's "suite on a theme by Paganini" or something like that, and Tchaikovsky's 2nd "the Little Russian". it was a really awesome afternoon.
    Did you mean the Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini? Who was the soloist?

I think you will come to love YNS as not only a conductor, but as an "interpreter", someone who has something to say musically about everything he does. He is a rare talent, and so young still!

Case in point: check out his recording of the Weill symphony and Rota's La Strada suite!
    http://www.amazon.com/Nino-Rota-Stra...481470&sr=1-13

In Montreal, he gets better press than Nagano, actually... Hometown boy does good! And good for him!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by itywltmt View Post
    For the Nielsen symphonies, the best "complete" sets IMO are by Herbert Blomstedt. I know of two - one he did some time back with the Danish RSO for EMI, and a second he did (digital) for Decca with the San Francisco SO. They are both excellent.
    itywltmt, I absolutely agree with you on the Blomstedt reading with the Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra re: Nielsen's First Symphony; I heard it via Spotify and it is electric in its excitement! I also wanted to point out that I don't believe this symphony--like the 4th--has any sub-title either. If I am wrong in this, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    On Spotify:

Peter Tchaikovsky--Symphony No.3 in D Major, Op.29 {"Polish"}, performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Claudio Abbado.
    Einojuhani Rautavaara--Symphony No.1 {2003 version}, featuring Max Pommer conducting the Belgium National Orchestra. Very interesting and compelling work; I intend to listen to more of this composer's output!
    Jean Sibelius--Symphony No.1 in E Minor, Op.39, performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra led by Sir Thomas Beecham.
    Carl Nielsen--Symphony No.1 in G Minor, Op.7, FS 16, featuring Okko Kamu conducting the Copenhagen Philharmonic Orchestra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pyotor Tchaikovsky--Symphony No.6 in B Minor, Op.74 {"Pathetique"}, performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker under the baton of Herbert von Karajan.
    Aaron Copland--Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, Billy the Kid and Fanfare for the Common Man, all performed by the New York Philharmonic directed by Leonard Bernstein.
    Jean Sibelius--Symphony No.1 in E Minor, Op.39 and Symphony No.4 in A Minor, Op.63. Both works feature Lorin Maazel conducting the Vienna Philharmonic.

Post Thanks / Like
    On Spotify:

Dmitri Shostakovich--Symphony No.6 in B Minor, Op.54, featuring Vasily Petrenko conducting the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra.
    Camille Saint-Saens--Symphony No.3 in C Minor, Op.78, performed by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and organist Anthony Newman under the baton of Lorin Maazel in a riveting and electrifying performance.
    Joachim Raff--Symphony No.2 in C Major, Op.140, featuring the Slovak State Philharmonic Orchestra led by Urs Schneider. I love its elegaic andante movement: http://open.spotify.com/track/4VKi6AiPqxmqftgVIJZmK0.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Warsaw Variations

A documentary on Sir Andrzej Panufnik and Witold Lutosławski on iPlayer
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    itywltmt, I absolutely agree with you on the Blomstedt reading with the Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra re: Nielsen's First Symphony; I heard it via Spotify and it is electric in its excitement! I also wanted to point out that I don't believe this symphony--like the 4th--has any sub-title either. If I am wrong in this, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Steve
    I stand corrected - The first and fifth (not fourth) don't have subtitles. I must have been thinking of the "last three" which I have i a vinyl box set (Blomstedt, Danish RSO).

Pierre

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Sibelius--Symphony No.2 in D Major, Op.43 and Symphony No.3 in C Major, Op.52. Both works are performed by the Vienna Philharmonic under the baton of Lorin Maazel.
    Serge Prokofiev--Symphony No.7 in C-Sharp Minor, Op.131 and Symphony No.5 in B-Flat Major, Op.100. Both symphonies feature Mstislav Rostropovich conducting the Orchestre National de France.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mozart's 21st, KV 134, by Krips with the Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Sibelius--Symphony No.5 in E-Flat Major, Op.82, Symphony No.6 in D Minor, Op.104 and Symphony No.7 in C Major, Op.105. All feature the Vienna Philharmonic led by Lorin Maazel.
    Aaron Copland--Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, Billy the Kid and Fanfare for the Common Man, performed by the NY Philharmonic under the baton of Leonard Bernstein.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Sibelius--Symphony No.5 in E-Flat Major, Op.82, Symphony No.6 in D Minor, Op.104 and Symphony No.7 in C Major, Op.105. All feature the Vienna Philharmonic led by Lorin Maazel.
    Here is the Sibelius cycle by the LSO under Anthony Collins - worth a listen!

http://public-domain-archive.com/cla...composer_no=71

Merry Xmas!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast