Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I can become Anna Netrebko fan too now

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post
    AHAH I KNEW IT WIYLD HEPPEN YOU GOT DISAPPOINTED WITH OPERA LIVELY, FEW MONTHS AGO YOU WOULD WRITE MEGA EXTENSIVE POST EXPLAINING UPLOADING YOURSELF DESPITE EXISTENCE OF FAQ, LIKE YOU USED TO WRITE ALL THOSE LONG POSTS WITHOUT ANY REASON, JUST TO BE OVER THE TOP KIND AND HELPFUL BUT NOW YOU HATE US YOU THINK HOW COULD I PUT SO MUCH WORK FOR THESE SLOTHS THEY EAT BERRIES AND GET PARALISED WHEN THEY HAVE TO HOLD THE SHIP ADMIT IT
    Busy. I've just worked for 9 hours non-stop on François Roussillon's interview.
    I'd love to be verbose and long-winded. I just don't have the time.
    Hate you? I love you all.

I mean, mostly.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's taken me a while, but now I can honestly join the rest of you guys in saying:

"I can become Anna Netrebko too now" !!!

Oh wait . . .

(Reads thread title again.)

Oh. Never mind.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yige View Post
    I would like to upload a photo, but could not. Have no idea why...
    Image Shack is easy to use. You don't have to open an account - just copy and paste the link.

Or you can open an account with something like Photobucket then you can store photos. Again you just copy and paste a link.

This is me & the new Director of ROH, Kasper Holten.

" … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, you don't need to open an account in any of these services to upload a photo, since vBulletin does have uploading features, so the photo can be uploaded directly to the database from someone's home computer. That's actually been my preferred method for the journalistic content, since the photo then gets hosted by our server and is not subject to being taken down or to loading delays in case the original server runs into problems (example, our background picture of the red opera house now resides in Opera Lively's domain). For our permanent journalistic features (our interviews, articles, etc.) I've been for a while using our own uploader.

It is true however that if you upload it first to one of these services and just embed the link, you save us some storage memory.

But anyway, if the member has *one* small photo to upload, he/she may as well just upload it directly to vBulletin.

In practical terms, this is the difference between the "from URL" and "from computer" options in our uploader. The former keeps the picture in the original server (as long as we uncheck that little box, something we need to get in the habit of always doing). The latter brings it to our server, as a permanent attachment (which yes, then occupies part of our memory).

So, the bottom line is, for regular pictures to illustrate a post that are destined to be forgotten when the thread moves on, it's best to use the URL feature and host the photo elsewhere (resulting in longer survival of our existing hardware memory before we'll need to migrate the board to a bigger server). But for anything permanent, it's best to use the "from computer" feature, in which case one needs to download the picture first onto one's own computer if it's not a picture from one's camera, iPhone, etc. that is already at the home machine.

Oh well, like Aramis said, here I go, getting verbose again...

Well, since I'm already being long-winded, I'll just keep going: another consideration is size. Anything uploaded to vBulletin should be relatively small, not to tax too much our memory. So, if you guys want to permanently upload stuff, please reduce the size. For instance, certain production pictures we've had access to for our reviews are very high def and several megabytes large. I use a software like Microsoft Office Photo Manager to reduce the size of the picture before I post. There is no sense in uploading anything larger than 800 pixels in the horizontal line, because larger than that, it distorts the post or the article and gets shown only partially. I often reduce a picture to some 720 horizontal pixels before posting.

Sometimes members post huge pictures. I haven't complained, because so far we are still OK in terms of usage of our server. But eventually I'll need everybody's cooperation to avoid burdening the server (which reduces loading times as well, and requires migration to more expensive packages, increasing the site's financial deficit, etc.). Just opening the photo first with a photo management software and resizing it helps a lot.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); October 16th, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a picture of her with Matthew. She's wearing the wig which she would bring to La Scala for the Boheme performance there.

[Link removed by Admin - photo no longer available]

Success! Thank you all!
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); January 6th, 2018 at 04:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely!!!

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Image Shack is easy to use. You don't have to open an account - just copy and paste the link.

Or you can open an account with something like Photobucket then you can store photos. Again you just copy and paste a link.

This is me & the new Director of ROH, Kasper Holten.

Annie has the magic opera amulet of power that causes opera moguls to seek her company and words of wisdom

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yige View Post
    Here's a picture of her with Matthew. She's wearing the wig which she would bring to La Scala for the Boheme performance there.

[Link removed by Admin - photo no longer available]

Success! Thank you all!
    Ultra impressive, you have scaled the Mt Everest of Netrebko fan fantasy.....congratulations and job well done we salute you
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); January 6th, 2018 at 04:25 PM.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Annie has the magic opera amulet of power that causes opera moguls to seek her company and words of wisdom
    Why thank you kind sir ... but Kasper is very approachable & easy to talk to.
    " … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stumbled upon this and can only say, what a fine Amina!
    Please, someone tell me that Anna is planning to record La Sonnambula!
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    err... sorry. Only in your dreams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I stumbled upon this and can only say, what a fine Amina!
    Please, someone tell me that Anna is planning to record La Sonnambula!
    Impossible, Anna has moved away from this repertory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Impossible, Anna has moved away from this repertory.
    Netrebko performed this role [Amina in La Sonnambula] back in 2006 at the Vienna State Opera and while most will say she was not the right fit for the high flying coloratura, she was incredibly suitable to pull some impressive high notes. The New York Times raved about her performance and said, “First and foremost is the voice, with a creamy roundness that moves smoothly up to a lovely, clear top.” With such success as Amina, a recording would have been expected, particularly as the Vienna State has documented many of Netrebko’s unforgettable performances. However, there is no known audio or video recording.
    http://operawire.com/4-roles-anna-ne...-dvd-releases/
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, has Anna ever sung Norina in Don Pasquale? That seems like a good role for her.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Hey, has Anna ever sung Norina in Don Pasquale? That seems like a good role for her.
    Not only has she sung it, but the performance is available on video:

Conductor/orchestra: James Levine, Metropolitan Opera Chorus and Orchestra
    Director: Otto Schenck
    Cast: John Del Carlo (Don Pasquale), Norina (Anna Netrebko), Matthew Polenzani (Ernesto), Mariusz Kwiecień (Malatesta), et. al.
    Deutsche Grammophon 0734635 (1 DVD)

16. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast