Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I can become Anna Netrebko fan too now

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member Couchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can become Anna Netrebko fan too now

Doch dieses Wörtlein: und, -wär' es zerstört,
    wie anders als mit Isoldes eignem Leben wär' Tristan der Tod gegeben?

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now, the question becomes who excites you more? Wagner or Ms Netrebko?

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchie View Post
    Hehehe, Opera Lively had already confirmed these rumors, learning from the singer herself that they were indeed true, in her interview with us.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Involved Member Couchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Hehehe, Opera Lively had already confirmed these rumors, learning from the singer herself that they were indeed true, in her interview with us.
    Yeah I read that interview sheepishly a few minutes after this post, teehee. Clearly I need to prioritize reading OL before the Wagnerian!
    Doch dieses Wörtlein: und, -wär' es zerstört,
    wie anders als mit Isoldes eignem Leben wär' Tristan der Tod gegeben?

Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Almaviva, did you hear anything about her Norma in ROH 2016? There're rumors around, and I personally heard her telling this outside the stage door of MET this Feb. But so far, it seems she never mentioned it in any official interview. I'm wondering if she dropped the plane, or she just wants to announce it officially at a latter point.

BTW, if she will do the ROH Norma in 2016, as far as I heard, the director should be Robert Carsen.

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yige View Post
    Hi, Almaviva, did you hear anything about her Norma in ROH 2016? There're rumors around, and I personally heard her telling this outside the stage door of MET this Feb. But so far, it seems she never mentioned it in any official interview. I'm wondering if she dropped the plane, or she just wants to announce it officially at a latter point.

BTW, if she will do the ROH Norma in 2016, as far as I heard, the director should be Robert Carsen.
    I've certainly heard rumours of a Netrebko/Garanca/Kaufmann Norma in the next few years. Should be interesting.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    I've certainly heard rumours of a Netrebko/Garanca/Kaufmann Norma in the next few years. Should be interesting.
    OK, you said the magic word. NOW I'm interested.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yige View Post

No, I missed that one. But I can always ask her agent. I'm not sure if he'll be at a liberty to say, but I'll try to get confirmation, and will report back here. He did indicate during another part of the interview which I did not include (I thought it would be speculation and therefore not good journalism), when I asked about another piece of information, that he couldn't talk about it. So, it may very well be that he'll reply the same thing when I ask about this Norma, but I'll ask. When they have unconfirmed plans, or even when they have confirmed plans but the opera house hasn't officially announced them yet, they don't tell. It's considered bad form, to divulge plans in advance of what an opera house announces. The Met people get particularly upset when it happens. Some houses may not mind, thought, which is probably why I was able to get confirmation from her about the three operas I asked about. We were lucky enough to get those three confirmed, so, if about this one they can't talk, fine.

PS - I've just emailed him. Usually her agent takes several days, sometimes weeks, to reply. But if he does confirm it and authorizes me to tell it here, I'll come back to this thread and report about it.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); October 9th, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh well, it's pretty certain that he'll say the same thing to us, then.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can't screw this up.......only the best cast allowed for Norma, reunite the the dynamic duo and get Elena Garanca for Andalgisa and for Pollione the obvious candidate is JDF to complete his fine Bellini series of performances, best male bel canto singer today

I do fear that Netrebko's future side trips into Wagner could be limiting/harmful to her future heavy Bel Canto performances......

Just saw that post by Askel, I see others agree that Garanca has great synergy with Netrebko and work well together, I still feel JDF is the ideal current roman forte Pollione, how do you fill the shoes of past masters like Corelli or Del Monaco?

Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've just emailed him. Usually her agent takes several days, sometimes weeks, to reply. But if he does confirm it and authorizes me to tell it here, I'll come back to this thread and report about it.
    Oh well, it's pretty certain that he'll say the same thing to us, then.
    I'll go to NYC to see L'Elisir d'Amore this weekend. Maybe I could ask Anna in person, and guess she would be able to speak more freely to fans than to media. I will report what I get when coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    We can't screw this up.I do fear that Netrebko's future side trips into Wagner could be limiting/harmful to her future heavy Bel Canto performances......

Just saw that post by Askel, I see others agree that Garanca has great synergy with Netrebko and work well together, I still feel JDF is the ideal current roman forte Pollione, how do you fill the shoes of past masters like Corelli or Del Monaco?
    I do not see why Wagner would do any harm for her heavy bel canto roles. Remember those pre-Callas days (in early 20th century, I mean), it's dramatic sopranos who happened to have coloratura get the role. Some (no other than the great Lilli Lehmann) did sing Wagner. In the mean time, none of them sung those bel canto roles for pure coloratura sopranos, i.e. Lucia, Elvira, etc. It's Callas who came that could sing Wagner, Turandot (though she dropped later), Tosca, Traviata, Norma, all the way to Lucia, Elvira, Amina (which kind of combined the tradition of dramatic sopranos singing Norma, with the broken tradition from Giuditta Pasta, who created Bolena, Amina, Norma.) Than, there came the line of Sutherland, Gruberova, and so on, who approached Norma from coloratura sopranos' aspect.

In my opinion, singing Wagner just makes Anna approach Norma following the way of those great dramatic sopranos rather than that of those great coloratura sopranos.

For the choice of Pollione, I prefer Kaufmann to JDF. Noticed that Anna collaborated with JDF not so often, I guess maybe their voices just don't blend well (just pure guess, as I haven't heard them together live, and don't believe it could be judged according to recording). And for the role of Pollione, I would like to hear a more heroic tenor than a pure bel canto singer, while this is just an issue of personal taste.

Schigolch
    Lilli Lehmann was capable of singing just about anything. More than one hundred different roles sung on stage!. She was a great Wagnerian, but also a very well considered performer of different Belcanto (and Verdi) roles. She commented once:

"Norma is the final aspiration of all dramatic sopranos. It's more difficult for me sing one Norma than three Brünnhildes. An almost fanatical attention to detail is needed to give each quaver the musical value Bellini requires".

[Link removed by Admin - YouTube video no longer available]

However, also sopranos like Marcella Sembrich were singing the role at the end of the 19th century and early 20th:

Maria Callas's approach was resembling more what we can think by the sources it was the 'Giuditta Pasta' way. 'Il soprano assoluto' way. Of course, we don't have a Pasta's recording but this is probably the closest thing we can think of.

But of course not everyone can sing how Maria Callas sang. And hers was not the only valid approach to the role. Clearly, Ms. Netrebko will never be able to sing like that, she will need to use other routes to perform Norma. We will see, if she finally goes ahead with those intentions.

About Pollione, while I would indeed like to hear what Mr. Flórez can do with the role, it's impossible that he can sing like Corelli or Del Monaco. In my view there is a misconception about Pollione. As you all know, the first singer to perform Pollione was Domenico Donzelli. His was a dark, baritone-like voice, according to our sources, and Bellini just tried to get the best from him by adapting the role to Donzelli. For instance, as Donzelli switched to the 'falsettone' after a G3, Bellini arranged the melodies to get the more rousing note exactly at G3. And in the cavatina "Meco all'altar di Venere", he wrote a C4 just after a G3 to give Donzelli the chance to flaunt his full voice and his falsetto voice.

However, Bellini's favourite tenor was no other than Giovanni Battista Rubini, and the fact that he was not the first Pollione, it was due simply to his unavailability at the time of Norma's premiere. Rubini sung later the role in Paris, at Théâtre des Italiens, with great success. In fact, Bellini planned to make some changes to the vocal lines of Pollione for Rubini, but his early death prevented him from doing so.

But, even if a heroic tenor voice is used, this doesn't mean you need to sing Pollione like Del Monaco (or, to a certain extent, Corelli) did. There is Bergonzi, for instance.

Personally, I think both Mr. Kaufmann and Mr. Flórez, in their very different ways, can be intriguing as Pollione. But if I would bet, I'm 99% certain that Mr. Flórez will never sing Pollione, at least on stage.

This is my preferred recent performance of Pollione:

Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); January 6th, 2018 at 04:23 PM.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How can we discuss Ms Netrebko without even posting a picture or two of her? Shame on us!

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  34.2 KB

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    OK, you said the magic word. NOW I'm interested.
    Do I detect another elephant being conceived?
    " … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast