Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Operas by Handel on DVD, Blu-ray, and CD

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excuse me if someone has posted this already, but this is a great performance.
    (Don't get the one by the English National Opera as it is an atrocity!)
    Since that night at the Polka, I don't understand you, Sheriff.
    --Ashby, La Fanciulla del West

2. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Excuse me if someone has posted this already, but this is a great performance.
    (Don't get the one by the English National Opera as it is an atrocity!)
    It's OK, but I don't like it as much as the Aix one with Sarah Connolly,Patricia Petibon, Sonia Prina and Sandrine Piau, not released on DVD which is a crying shame.
    Natalie

4. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    It's OK, but I don't like it as much as the Aix one with Sarah Connolly,Patricia Petibon, Sonia Prina and Sandrine Piau, not released on DVD which is a crying shame.
    Agreed. Stellar cast. These four are all top-notch artists.
    And like I've been saying, I believe that Aix is currently the best opera company in the world.
    Let's just hope it will remain so once leadership changes on September 1, 2018.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

6. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Sonia Prina and Joyce DiDonato sang in the one I saw live last April.
    Since that night at the Polka, I don't understand you, Sheriff.
    --Ashby, La Fanciulla del West

8. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deidamia on DVD (it is also available on blu-ray disc)

Deidamia, opera in three acts, sung in Italian
    Music by George Frideric Handel
    Libretto by Paolo Antonio Rolli, based on Greek mythology, as told in the stories of Achilles on Skyros
    Premiered on 10 January 1741, Lincoln's Inn Fields Theatre, London. This is Handel's last Italian opera seria.

This is a co-production of De Nederlandse Opera and the NTR, recorded live at the Amsterdam Music Theatre in March 2012, released on DVD by Opus Arte in January 2013, catalog # OA 1088 D

Cast

Deidamia - Sally Matthews
    Nerea - Veronica Cangemi
    Achille - Olga Pasichnyk
    Ulisse - Silvia Tro Santafé
    Fenice - Andrew Foster-Williams
    Licomede - Umberto Chiummo
    Nestore - Jan-Willem Schaafsma

Audio formats Dolby Digital Stereo, or DTS Digital Surround; image NTSC 16:9 Anamorphic. Subtitles in English, French, German, and Dutch. Running Time 184 minutes (opera) and 24 minutes (bonus - documentary film, and cast gallery). The insert contains five color production pictures, credits, a 3-page essay, and a 2-page synopsis, repeated in English, German, and French. No track list.

The period instrument orchestra Concerto Köln is conducted by Ivor Bolton
    Stage director David Alden
    Set design Paul Steinberg
    Costume design Constance Hoffman
    Lighting design Adam Silverman
    Choreography Jonathan Lunn
    Directed for the screen by Joost Honselaar

-------------

It's unfortunate that the original language, Italian, wasn't included in the subtitles, but the full libretto in Italian is available here: [clicky]

-------------

This modern David Alden staging in the opera company directed by Pierre Audi (who will be taking over in Aix starting in September 2018) bodes well for the continuation of Aix's imaginative hallmark. These are very beautiful and colorful sets, sleek and tasteful (stunning, really). The costumes are very funny and interesting. Just the visual part is enough to recommend the purchase of this fascinating production.

Added to the visual pleasure is the eye candy provided by the very pretty Sally Matthews and her shapely legs, which are prominently displayed by her wardrobe which includes swimming suits. She is lovely in all aspects: acting, singing, and physical presence (including, executing very well the choreography); I'm a big fan.

Silvia Tro Santafé sings very well too, and so does Olga Pasichnyk. This trio with one very feminine woman and two pants roles, is theatrically effective, and it features three singers (two sopranos, one mezzo) who do Baroque well, ensuring the vocal quality of this performance (not always matched by the other singers, especially Veronica Cangemi who is not very good).

Olga's Tomboy Achille is very well cast, and she is convincing as the male teenager with raging hormones.

This period orchestra is excellent and so is its conductor.

Like I was saying when I last reviewed a Handel opera - Alcina at La Monnaie - three hours of convoluted Handel plot and da capo arias, as much as I love Handel's music (and I really do), are easier to swallow when the production is also visually interesting, and with an intelligent concept. Unlike that one in Brussels, this one from Amsterdam is very entertaining, down to details such as Ulisse arriving to the island by submarine,

and the hilarious frantic efforts by a fake cellist on stage that tries her best to provide a musical commentary to Achille's rage when he surprises Ulisse flirting with Deidamia, until Achille goes and in a tantrum, breaks her bow (by the way, Sally looks stunning in this scene, which is this one below).

The visual treats continue:

Anyway, you can see how enticing the physical production is.

See this hilarious scene with Achille in pink, throwing punches in the air:

Oh wow, I just realized that the entire opera is on YouTube, in HD. Watch it soon, because if they take it down, you'll be missing something extraordinary.

Anyway, you can see for yourself. I won't say more. A++, highly recommended.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); December 28th, 2017 at 05:30 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7