Thread: performance only tickets at opening night gala?

Bookmark and Share
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like

Question performance only tickets at opening night gala?

We will be in NYC for a few days in September and I wanted to see Eugene Onegin (my favorite opera). Unfortunately the only performance that will be shown during our visit is the opening night gala. Is it possible to buy performance tickets only on such nights? Do we still have to confirm to black tie dress code if we are attending performance only?

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by annabarh View Post
    We will be in NYC for a few days in September and I wanted to see Eugene Onegin (my favorite opera). Unfortunately the only performance that will be shown during our visit is the opening night gala. Is it possible to buy performance tickets only on such nights? Do we still have to confirm to black tie dress code if we are attending performance only?
    Welcome to Opera Lively Anna. Of course you can and you can save $500/person. That said, tickets are still $1,500 each for just the performance, but you do get orchestra seats for that.
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the reply! The price is beyond our budget, unfortunately. I was hoping for something around $200.

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the reply! The price is beyond our budget, unfortunately. I was hoping for something around $200.
    I don't know where you're normally based, but another person and I have chartered a bus for the October 19th performance departing from Washington, DC and we have 40 people signed up to go. (It's to see Norma on the 18th and some of us will catch E.O. on the 19th.)

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Seattle. And I assume that we have to adhere to the black tie dress code even if we attend performance only?

Post Thanks / Like
    And I assume that we have to adhere to the black tie dress code even if we attend performance only?
    Nope.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No need for black tie.
    And while opening night is expensive, I've been to opening nights without paying $1,500. Check the prices.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the replies. I ended up purchasing balcony tickets for $140. Hope we will be able to see from there.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the replies. I ended up purchasing balcony tickets for $140. Hope we will be able to see from there.
    Yes you will, the balcony at the met is fine. Just take binoculars with you. The acoustics are excellent.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoy the performance annabarh! La Bellissima debuted as Tatyana only months ago in Vienna. I'm quite looking forward to this E.O.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Enjoy the performance annabarh! La Bellissima debuted as Tatyana only months ago in Vienna. I'm quite looking forward to this E.O.
    And I couldn't get a ticket to that Vienna performance - that also included Dmitri Hvorostovsky