Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Berkhamsted, UK

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about you? Are there some Opera companies that you think should be looked at? I almost went to Wormsley this Summer to watch the Cricket (they hosted the Women's Ashes) in the middle of a slightly disappointing Men's series when I noticed they now host the Garsington Opera Company on the estate. I had never heard of them but I made a note.
    Also how about that 220 not out o/n by young eighteen year old Dominic Sibley! Exciting. And we all though Amla was the superstar to take centre stage! Bless Surrey; one can only wish good fortune for them.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    How about you? Are there some Opera companies that you think should be looked at? I almost went to Wormsley this Summer to watch the Cricket (they hosted the Women's Ashes) in the middle of a slightly disappointing Men's series when I noticed they now host the Garsington Opera Company on the estate. I had never heard of them but I made a note.
    I've never seen anything by Garsington but I've heard they're good. Glyndebourne-On-Tour are very good. They get top class singers. I saw their La bohème in 2011 & it was fabulous.

Also how about that 220 not out o/n by young eighteen year old Dominic Sibley! Exciting. And we all though Amla was the superstar to take centre stage! Bless Surrey; one can only wish good fortune for them.
    I just can't wait for the Ashes to start. Wish it was on terrestrial TV but I won't have Sky & am quite happy with TMS.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like

A reintroduction

As I said before, cricket is another love of my life. I thought I had uploaded a picture for my avatar but apparently I am not very competent with information systems. This picture is of a person called Geoffrey Boycott, a Yorkshireman and English cricketer. His achievements are beyond anything I could write about here but I will just say he is a sporting hero not just in England but to cricket fans all over the world. This picture is of Geoff batting in the 1977 Ashes series at Trent Bridge where he became the first English player to bat on all five days of the match. He is a fine ambassador for the sport and the spirit of the game.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geoff-boycott-400.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	2595

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has to be famous because even I've heard of him!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    He has to be famous because even I've heard of him!
    Oh what a great nation of cricketers New Zealand are! I thoroughly enjoyed my visit there in March (even if only over the airwaves). Just by chance the BBC picked up a taxi which was being driven by former New Zealand Test player Ewen Chatfield who was playing against Geoff in his infamous captaincy in 1978 in Christchurch. Many people have a laugh at Geoff's expense over that series.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh what a great nation of cricketers New Zealand are!
    And rugby players and sailors and sports obsessives generally.

Unfortunately sport bores the pants off me so it's all wasted as far as I'm concerned. I have a little dream where I snap my fingers and all the local energy that is channelled into sport suddenly gets re-routed into opera.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello to all,

I'm back after popping off to pay my last respects to a good beer buddy (and father-in-law). He said he was sorry he did not have any assets to leave but I told him actually he had already given me everything.

It was not too sad an occasion and actually very nice with all the family.

Also if you have a cousin who is a balloon artist, this is very handy for adding a nice splash of colour.

Name:	Balloon art.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	5455

(All the really good 'uns were taken by the younger (or the older for the younger) and did not make the photoshoot)

And now back to opera...

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello to all,

I'm back after popping off to pay my last respects to a good beer buddy (and father-in-law). He said he was sorry he did not have any assets to leave but I told him actually he had already given me everything.

Also if you have a cousin who is a balloon artist, this is very handy for adding a nice splash of colour.

(All the really good 'uns were taken by the younger (or the older for the younger) and did not make the photoshoot)

And now back to opera...

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law and welcome back. Was just thinking about you on my commute home and wondering where you were.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello to all,

And now back to opera...

It's good to have you back, Clayton. Sorry for your father-in-law.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    It's good to have you back, Clayton. Sorry for your father-in-law.
    Ditto. We missed you.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just caught up with this, and am very sorry to hear about your father in law/beer buddy. I am, however, glad you are back!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have now relocated to Hokkaido, the Northern territories of Japan. The CDs (11 boxes) have still a couple of months before they arrive but I don't know if I'll have enough space to unpack them; it's a small apartment that was supposed to be a temporary measure.
    I'm surrounded by mountains but just missed the kouyou season, where they turn red. I'm busy trying to find my feet before the snow comes but will try and catch up with the opera soon!

13. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have now relocated to Hokkaido, the Northern territories of Japan. The CDs (11 boxes) have still a couple of months before they arrive but I don't know if I'll have enough space to unpack them; it's a small apartment that was supposed to be a temporary measure.
    I'm surrounded by mountains but just missed the kouyou season, where they turn red. I'm busy trying to find my feet before the snow comes but will try and catch up with the opera soon!
    Happy settling in. Gonna get cold, lots of excuses to huddle round the fire with a nice boxed set and a cuppa.
    Natalie

15. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    For a couple reasons, I hope you have all those CDs ripped and on a drive that you brought with you.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

17. Likes Clayton, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Happy settling in. Gonna get cold, lots of excuses to huddle round the fire with a nice boxed set and a cuppa.
    Hello So_Fa! We are closer neighbours now
    I heard the island had temperatures of -39 earlier this year. I'll need some very fiery box sets; any suggestions welcome. I also need a very big cuppa

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    For a couple reasons, I hope you have all those CDs ripped and on a drive that you brought with you.
    I only have the i-pod... but the Krauss is on it

19. Likes Florestan liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast