Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: This is where I live.

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I got through that. OL doesn't seem to like lots of photos.

Let's see..

Name:  DCriots1968.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  99.6 KB

A photo of downtown Washington, DC during the riots of 1968 (following Martin Luther King, jr's assassination)

Name:  14th&Q.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  34.8 KB

Dry Cleaner, 14th St, NW until about 1.5 or 2 years ago.

Name:  Le-Diplomate.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  47.0 KB

Same building, today - the one of the hottest restaurants in Washington.

Name:  14thstreettoday.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  69.8 KB

14th St now is one of the centers of the city's nightlife!

Name:  OldPostOffice.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  65.4 KB

Old Post Office Building. Look for the two arched windows on the right side of the building - my old office is the arched window on the left.

Name:  InteriorOPO.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  98.7 KB

The dramatic interior atrium of the Old Post Office - probably why Donald Trump is about to re-develop the building as a fancy new hotel.

Name:  VietnamWarMemorial.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  70.3 KB

Vietnam War Memorial - the name of every casualty is engraved on black granite on the walls to the left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    That link was indeed broken. I removed it. It didn't correspond to any picture, as Hoffmann had uploaded nine and that link was a tenth one, out of order. I suspect that upon editing he deleted part of that link by mistake.

It does seem that OL inserts links when we upload too many pictures to the same post. If we re-upload (that is, if we insist) then the software will accept it.

Probably to avoid this, we need to upload a few then change to another post and continue uploading.
    There is one photo that continues to not be accepted - I'm not sure why. Here is a different shot of the same subject:

Name:  washingtonmetro2.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  93.1 KB

The Washington Metro (subway) - a startlingly successful design that somehow was implemented. As the system expanded, later stations had to be built with an altered design as the original stations are far too expensive to be built today. Ah, the 1970s!
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 16th, 2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: removed double post

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Berkhamsted Castle

It is more a pile of rubble than a castle but a historical pile of rubble nonetheless that the town people are proud of and enjoy.
    In the summer, families can enjoy picnics within the walls and play ball games and there have even been concert performances in the evenings.

It is the oldest motte and bailey design castle in England and is on the site of a 10th century Saxon fort.
    King Harold’s men surrendered the keys to London here to William the Conqueror in 1066 (and so we boast, was briefly the capital of England) where he later rebuilt the castle in stone, completed 1087.

Famous residents have included Richard the Duke of Cornwall (thought to be the richest man in England at that time) who built luxurious apartments, The Black Prince and Thomas Beckett.

The castle fell into disuse in the 15th Century (tough economic situation?) and the stone was plundered.

Name:  Berkhamsted Castle 1.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  45.8 KB Name:  Berkhamsted Castle 2.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  Berkhamsted Castle 3.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  63.6 KB Name:  Berkhamsted Castle 4.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  68.6 KB

Name:  Berkhamsted Castle 5.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  54.2 KB Name:  Berkhamsted Castle 6.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  45.4 KB

Senior Member Involved Member Couchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Calgary, Alberta.

City is most famous of course for its Stampede featuring parades, rodeos, chuckwagon races, grandstand shows, etc:

This gives Calgary its "Cowtown" reputation but in the 51 weeks of the year that are not Stampede Calgary is a very cosmopolitan city of considerable ethnic diversity where you are more likely to run into people wearing hijabs than cowboy hats.

Calgary is known for its high standard of living, being cold, its oil-endowed affluence, and extreme cleanliness.

Most international visitors come for the obscene natural beauty of nearby Banff. Great hiking in the summer and skiing inthe winter.

Doch dieses Wörtlein: und, -wär' es zerstört,
    wie anders als mit Isoldes eignem Leben wär' Tristan der Tod gegeben?

Post Thanks / Like
    What a beautiful place.

And howdy neighbour.

I was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba (though moved here when I was 5 years old so very little memory).

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchie View Post
    I live in Calgary, Alberta.

City is most famous of course for its Stampede featuring parades, rodeos, chuckwagon races, grandstand shows, etc:

This gives Calgary its "Cowtown" reputation but in the 51 weeks of the year that are not Stampede Calgary is a very cosmopolitan city of considerable ethnic diversity where you are more likely to run into people wearing hijabs than cowboy hats.

Calgary is known for its high standard of living, being cold, its oil-endowed affluence, and extreme cleanliness.

Most international visitors come for the obscene natural beauty of nearby Banff. Great hiking in the summer and skiing inthe winter.

Fantastic pics!!

and

WELCOME BACK GREEN MONSTER!!!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently started a thread "Happy 3 Days Before Spring", when Washington was the proud recipient of about 6 inches of snow.

Well, today was a gorgeous spring day, so during my walk this afternoon, I took a couple of photos that highlight one of the phenomena for which Washington is famous:

Cherry Blossoms.

The Cherry blossoms are at their peak at the moment - they are extremely fragile, so due to wind, rain, etc. events, frequently don't survive to their peak. Thus, today was kind of a rare day and your fearless Hoffmann (all the while listening to the Janowski/Klaus Florian Vogt Lohengrin) waded into the thick of tourist battle to bring you a few modest photos:

Name:  P1000787.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  P1000790.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:  P1000793.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  100.1 KB

Name:  P1000795.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  101.0 KB

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is really beautiful, Hoffmann, and glad your spring seems to be happening!

We are mid-autumn here and the temperature still around 23C.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful photos Hoffmann.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday was a stunningly beautiful late spring day with low humidity and a temperature of about 25 C/77 F. I took my camera along on my walk and snapped some of the sights along this route, which has become my favorite, and is about 9.5 miles long:

Name:  P1000803.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  100.1 KB

I cross the street here, which is around the corner from my house. The house sort of left center, with the gazebo-like structure belonged to Anna Cooper, a professor at Howard University, who was born a slave and died in 1964. Anna Cooper was featured on a U.S. commemorative stamp last year.

Name:  P1000861.jpg
Views: 266

This gives something of a sense of the changing face of rapidly gentrifying Washington, DC. The construction in the left foreground is new luxury apartments - across the street from a few remaining crumbling shops and a social services organization providing services to the poor.

Name:  P1000808.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  95.8 KB

A block up the street is the renovated O Street Market (dating to 1881), now complete with upscale grocery store, condos, apartments, hotel and, of course...Starbucks.

Here is what it looked like about 2 or so years ago:

Name:  ostmarket.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  12.2 KB

Continuing on through Chinatown (which now is about as Chinese as I am...), maybe a mile or so, to the National Mall and environs:

Name:  P1000809.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  99.1 KB

The National Archives, housing the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Looking down Constitution Avenue, past the Archives, are the federal government office buildings comprising the Federal Triangle, dating to the 1930s.

I am meeting a friend for lunch, so will complete the tour later this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did I leave off?

Name:  P1000810.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  96.4 KB

The Smithsonian Castle, located on on the National Mall, was designed by architect James Renwick, and completed in 1855 (Renwick also designed St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York). James Smithson was born in Paris, ca 1765, the illegitimate son of Hugh Percy, 1st Duke of Northumberland; he was later naturalized in England. Smithson was the founding donor of what became the Smithsonian Institution. Although he died in Genoa and was buried there in 1829, his remains were removed to Washington and interred in the Castle in 1904.

Name:  P1000816.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  99.8 KB

View of the south front (rear) of the White House across the Ellipse. The police car blocking access to the road network within the complex is one of an enormous omnipresent force throughout the city since 9-11.

Name:  P1000818.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  99.7 KB

Walking along Constitution Avenue.

Name:  P1000822.jpg
Views: 288

World War II Memorial; opened to the public in 2004. All of the museums and memorials along the Mall are built with private funds. The federal government donates the land, but the funding is the responsibility of private citizens. The Memorial is not my favorite piece of architecture in the city by a long shot, but was long overdue and serves the purpose.

Name:  P1000829.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  97.7 KB

Just on the other side of the WWII Memorial, the approach to the Lincoln Memorial alongside the Reflecting Pool.

Name:  P1000830.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  93.8 KB

The Lincoln Memorial was located in the middle of a traffic circle when I first moved to Washington in the 70s. The paving stones are where the road once was.

Name:  P1000832.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  88.8 KB

Lincoln is near and dear to the hearts of Americans.

Name:  P1000834.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  99.2 KB

An important viewpoint. Impossible photo - Washington was awash in tourists over the weekend. I'm not complaining - it's good that people are interested in visiting the Capital.

Name:  P1000843.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  99.6 KB

Walkway alongside the Potomac River, looking toward the Georgetown waterfront. The Kennedy Center is off to the right across the Rock Creek Parkway.

Name:  P1000846.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  99.2 KB

Just around the bend is the infamous Watergate complex, comprising both offices and residences.

Name:  P1000850.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  101.5 KB

Running right along a couple of miles, is the Old Executive Office Building, housing White House staff and located next to the White House. Known to locals as the OEOB, it was built in 1871 - 1888 in the Second French Empire style, and survived efforts to tear it down in 1957.

Name:  P1000852.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  102.5 KB

The cabana-like structures are where the White House reporters report from, with a good angle to the White House in the background. The low rise white building in left center is the West Wing, where the Oval Office is housed.

Name:  P1000859.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  96.5 KB

Heading back home now, we pass this art deco gem. The low rise part of the building in front once housed the very seedy bus station, which also survived a near fatal effort to demolish it. The Art Deco Society and historic preservationists went to the mat over it, and the developer backed down and designed a building that enhances it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post Hoffmann; I want to visit Washington now. I think the local tourist board should consult with you.

I look forward to your route B, C and ...

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful winter day today, we went for a walk by the estuary about 20 minutes drive from where we live:

Name:  20140715_123057.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  20140715_125000.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  20140715_125340_1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  97.9 KB

There were lots of kingfishers grubbing around in the mangroves mudflats - if you look very carefully you can see one in this tree.

Name:  20140715_130022.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  108.1 KB
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of weeks ago, I took some photos of 'Route B' - not as historically scenic, but this route goes through Rock Creek Park, a 1,750 acre park that is among the oldest of the U.S.' national parks. I didn't realize, until reading some for this write-up, that the area had been deforested during the Civil War to thwart the advance of confederate troops on the Capitol, under the command of Gen. Jubal Early. In 1913, Congress authorized the creation of the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway, now one of DC's major commuter routes in and out of the city.

Name:  P1000862.jpg
Views: 245

Looking up 18th Street NW, in the Adams Morgan neighborhood - one of the hubs of DC nightlife. The movie St. Elmo's Fire (1985) had a number scenes filmed here.

Name:  P1000863.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  83.7 KB

Sign in the window of one of the clubs, and sign of the times. The clubs attract a young crowd, including troublemakers from around the metro area.

Name:  P1000865.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  95.7 KB

Just starting to cross the Duke Ellington Bridge over Rock Creek Park. Duke Ellington was a Washington, DC native son.

Name:  P1000867.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  97.2 KB

Looking across the Park to the (Pres.) William Howard Taft Memorial Bridge, which carries Connecticut Avenue across the park, and is regarded as the largest unreinforced concrete structure in the world. If you look closely (upper center right), you can see the minaret from the Islamic Center of Washington, DC.

Name:  P1000870.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  99.4 KB

Looking down from the Ellington Bridge into the park.

Name:  P1000871.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  99.4 KB

We reach the Woodley Park neighborhood on the far side of the Ellington Bridge. The red brick tower on the horizon is the Wardman Tower, now the Marriott Wardman Park.

[from Wikipedia] The Wardman Tower building has been home to a number of politicians and other public figures, including three U.S. presidents:

Vice President Spiro Agnew
    Vice President Charles Curtis
    Actress Marlene Dietrich
    Senator Bob Dole
    President Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Former airline Trans World Airlines (TWA) President Jack Frye and wife, Helen
    U.S. Attorney Paul M. Gagnon
    Senator Barry Goldwater
    President Herbert Hoover
    President Lyndon B. Johnson
    Socialite Perle Mesta
    Senator Chuck Robb
    Chief Justice Frederick M. Vinson
    Vice President Henry Wallace
    Chief Justice Earl Warren

Name:  P1000873.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  97.8 KB

Continuing down the hill, and into Rock Creek Park - and looking up at the Taft Bridge.

Name:  P1000874.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  102.3 KB

Rock Creek

Name:  P1000876.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  98.6 KB

Winds through the park, adjacent to a walking/biking trail and the Parkway.

Name:  P1000880.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  98.8 KB

Exiting the park at Pennsylvania Avenue. This brings us back to the 2nd half of Route A, including one of my favorite modern buildings in the city, the World Bank:

Name:  P1000883.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  96.9 KB

Note the white sound truck, right edge. A constant creature in and around the city, broadcasting live news feed from different happenings (good, bad and indifferent).

Name:  P1000885.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  98.8 KB

Instead of continuing past the White House, I headed due north - passing St. Matthews Cathedral, where President Kennedy's funeral was held.

Name:  P1000886.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  101.0 KB

Dupont Circle fountain, designed by Daniel Chester French (also designed the Lincoln Memorial and statue)

Name:  P1000887.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  100.2 KB

It was another 2 miles back to the 'hood (as we say in DC), but a most welcome sight along the way is the denizens' favorite grocery store:

Name:  P1000889.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  99.0 KB

Whole Foods decision to build on this site - in an otherwise very rundown neighborhood, was the linchpin to development of the long-neglected 14th St corridor and environs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Hoffmann for a fascinating glimpse of your city and for taking the time to annotate your photos with a pertinent comment.
    I've been interested in US politics since (sadly) the assassination of JFK and would love to visit Washington and see all the places I've only read about. Hope to come over one day.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast