Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: This is where I live.

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Thank you Hoffmann for a fascinating glimpse of your city and for taking the time to annotate your photos with a pertinent comment.
    I've been interested in US politics since (sadly) the assassination of JFK and would love to visit Washington and see all the places I've only read about. Hope to come over one day.
    Thanks, Annie. I've lived in Washington for almost 40 years and love the city - there's never a dull moment. If you ever want to come visit, let me know, and I'll be happy to show you the city!

Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Melbourne: the most liveable city in the world. City skyline from the east, the Yarra River is in view as is the Botanic Gardens in this photo. Melbourne has 6 of the 10 tallest buildings in Australia; its tallest, the Eureka Tower, is the 14th tallest residential building in the world. The MCG stadium and other stadiums/arenas can be seen on the north side of the river too.

We have the largest tram network in the world. Tram tracks are seen on pretty much every main road. This is Swanston Street looking south:

All the main arts/performance centres are located just to the south of the central business district. The best acoustics in Australia can be heard in the Melbourne Recital Centre. It's a strange looking building, only five and a half years old, but it has such a beautiful interior with incredibly comfy seats. Concerts are on almost every day if the year.

The Arts Centre (the one with the big spire, it lights up at night) and Hamer Hall (the round building). Opera Australia, Victorian Opera, the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and the Australian Chamber Orchestra often perform here.

Interior of the State Theatre in the Arts Centre building:

And Hamer Hall:

Melbourne CBD is full of theatres mostly built in the 19th and early 20th centuries. There'd be multiple musicals and other shows being performed at every theatre all year round.

Advice for visitors: even though Melbourne is a coastal city situated on Port Phillip Bay, don't go to the closest beach in the city. The sand is actually dumped there by ships and isn't a naturally formed beach, and the water is pretty disgusting. It's worth travelling down to Mornington on the peninsula if you want beach.

I did not take any of the above photos.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gardens, cricket and music.

Why do I not live in Melbourne?

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Gardens, cricket and music.

Why do I not live in Melbourne?
    And me! And he hasn't mentioned that other music - the sound of an F1 car at full throttle.

Link removed by admin - video no longer available
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); March 12th, 2018 at 07:57 PM.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    And me! And he hasn't mentioned that other music - the sound of an F1 car at full throttle.

Link removed by admin - video no longer available
    Yuck. I can hear them from my school when the race is on.
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); March 12th, 2018 at 07:57 PM.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of my regular walks - Waiatarua reserve - wetlands in the middle of the city. There are usually lots of birds - today black swans, swallows, pukekos (a wader).

Name:  20140824_122858.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  20140824_122903.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  96.5 KB
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, COAG, for putting the photos together. One of my nephews did a 6 month study abroad program in Australia and Melbourne was his favorite place. I considered making the trip for the Melbourne Ring a year or so ago, but decided against it.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh deer

population growing in Berkhamsted

Name:  berko deer.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  59.3 KB

There are many in the woods around Berkhamsted. If you're looking out for them the chances are more you will see them. Just need to drive carefully (as one should) at night when they cross the road...

Post Thanks / Like
    Berkhamsted is a funny place (probably in part due to the funny people who live here). Crime is little (antisocial fireworks can make front page news) but any is dealt with as the locals feel adequately.

I am a member of the neighbourhood watch scheme (as JohnGerald says, I have a lot of time on my hands) and receive regular e-mails.

One such that I just received I thought I would like to share...

Dear Watch Member,

On Wednesday 18th at 3:15pm an offender gained entry to the Clinton Cards office on Berkhamsted High Street and took an iPad as well as £40 in cash.

The male then made off towards the train station at which point he avoided police by hiding somewhere near the railway tracks. The local police team were assisted by nearby units as well as the police helicopter. Within 90 minutes the offender was caught and arrested. Statements have been taken and the offender is now in custody.
    Big drama!

(£40 in cash ≈ USD 60)

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the view from my condo porch:

- - - Updated - - -

This is my favorite Indian restaurant in SLC area:

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is that, Albert?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is way too hot out for a walk, so will use the time to catch up on things that have piled up. I might even tackle my bills.

My new-ish residence in Arlington, Virginia, is directly across the river from Washington, DC. Walkability was very high among my considerations when I was looking for a new place, especially grocery and drug stores, but I didn't realize the extent or the accessibility of the bike trails in Arlington at the time I moved.

Today's walk, which is my favorite of four or five different routes, is from home through Georgetown (in DC) by way of the Mount Vernon Trail. The trail itself runs from George Washington's home/estate - Mount Vernon - through to North Arlington, a total distance of about 20 miles (I haven't walked all the way to Mount Vernon from here since it is too far at about 14 miles to then turn around and walk home).

The trail was rather ingeniously constructed in between the Potomac River and the George Washington Parkway and offers a wide variety of vistas, structures and pastoral settings to be consistently interesting.

Name:  P1010125.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  98.4 KB

Having walked down the hill, and turned around to take this shot, this is the building where I live on the 9th floor - I sometimes refer to it as "The Home" because of the number of (us) seniors who live here. It sits on top of Arlington Ridge, and affords a dramatic view of Washington, but it also necessitates climbing a steep set of steps at the end of every walk to ascend the ridge.

Name:  P1010129.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  97.6 KB

The trail is about 1.5 miles away, so we start by walking through the neighborhood toward the trail. Arlington County devotes a lot of space to parks. This photo doesn't capture it, but this nearby park includes baseball and soccer fields and an adjacent picnic space.

Name:  P1010132.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  97.0 KB

Of course, it still is a heavily urbanized area, so this is the scene across the street and about a block away.

Name:  P1010135.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  98.4 KB

Arlington, Virginia, even though so close to Washington, DC, is in the south and Richmond, Virginia (about 90 miles south) was the capital of the confederacy with Jefferson Davis the president of the confederate states. Recently, the confederate flag that was still on display on the grounds of the state capitol of Columbia, South Carolina, was removed. There is some discussion locally whether such local confederate references, as this street name, still are appropriate.

Name:  P1010137.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  100.4 KB

This small park is adjacent to the entrance to the bike trail.

Name:  P1010141.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  99.9 KB

This entrance to the trail begins with an underpass under the CSX railroad tracks. The trail itself includes a large number of underpasses under the bridges crossing the Potomac and some overpasses over highways and river marina accesses.

Name:  P1010148.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  95.0 KB

Exiting the underpass and around the bend, the view looks toward Reagan National Airport and its control tower.

Name:  P1010147.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  100.2 KB

This perspective was not very successful, but tried to show the proximity of the trail to the GW Parkway (that would be at the second rail).

Name:  P1010154.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  94.4 KB

Now on an overpass looking directly over the shuttle planes at Reagan National - most of these planes run back and forth between DC and NYC.

Name:  P1010152.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  94.8 KB

The view, looking straight ahead as we leave the overpass.

Name:  P1010158.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  94.0 KB

Not too far away is Gravelly Point, where people can watch the planes take off.

Name:  P1010159.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  97.5 KB

Leaving Gravelly Point, as we round the bend, the Potomac River lies ahead.

Name:  P1010160.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  96.4 KB

Most of the city's most famous sights are clearly visible along the route.

Name:  P1010163.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  99.5 KB

And some occasional wildlife. In this case, Canada Geese (also known as feathered alimentary canals...).

Name:  P1010164.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  99.9 KB

The trail. Hard to believe the river is about 30 meters to the right and the GW Parkway about 30 meters to the left...

Name:  P1010168.jpg
Size:  100.2 KB

Underpasses. The 14th St bridges and Memorial Bridge in the distance.

Name:  P1010169.jpg
Views: 405

View from under the 14th St Bridge.

Name:  P1010174.jpg
Views: 453

About 1/2 mile away, and from across an overpass: the Pentagon. The flags were at half-staff in honor of the servicemen killed in Tennessee a couple of weeks ago.

Name:  P1010176.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  95.9 KB

The Navy and Marine Memorial. The area in and around DC is carefully landscaped, thanks to Lady Bird Johnson (President Lyndon Johnson's wife). These guys likely are pulling the bulbs from the spring tulips in preparation for summer/fall planting.

Name:  P1010178.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  P1010179.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  98.2 KB

Note the cars on the Parkway on the left.

Name:  P1010181.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  97.4 KB

Memorial Bridge runs across the Potomac between the Lincoln Memorial (not in view) and Arlington National Cemetery. In this view, you can just make out the roofline of the Kennedy Center and the Watergate complex in the photo center.

Name:  P1010185.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  97.0 KB

Pay no attention to those summer algae blooms!

Name:  P1010189.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  97.5 KB

A little further on, we enter Potomac River wetlands - so, more wildlife. A resting swan and a Great Blue Heron.

Name:  P1010193.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  101.5 KB

The trail becomes a boardwalk over the wetlands, and one of my favorite places along the way. The GW Parkway is a stone's throw away to the left.

Name:  P1010191.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  91.7 KB

And, we get the good, bad and ugly as part of the bargain.

Name:  P1010197.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  99.2 KB

We have left the wetlands and are ascending an overpass, with the high-rises of North Arlington straight ahead.

Name:  P1010198.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  97.7 KB

Looking west from the overpass over the GW Parkway, with the steeples of Georgetown University in the distance.

Name:  P1010201.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  95.9 KB

And, in the other direction, toward where we started.

Name:  P1010199.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  101.1 KB

Exiting the Trail, and about to cross Key Bridge (named for Francis Scott Key, who wrote the words to the Star Spangled Banner) into Georgetown.

Name:  P1010213.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  94.0 KB

The view from Key Bridge, looking south.

Name:  P1010215.jpg
Size:  99.7 KB

M St, NW in Georgetown. About 6.5 miles from where we started. I usually walk another 3 miles through the city (and sights I have already documented) and take the Metro (subway) home, 9.6 miles total, including distance from Metro to my building.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 31st, 2015 at 06:00 AM. Reason: removed non-rotated photos as requested

Post Thanks / Like
    My Saturday morning obsession is getting to the Farmers' Market in the Del Ray section of Alexandria when it opens at 8:00 am. That's because a number of local restaurants buy some of their produce there, carting away boxes of the best tomatoes and ripe peaches from the outset.

If you ever wondered why that heirloom tomato appetizer costs $12.50 for a few slices of tomato and mozzarella, it's because the restaurant is buying from these folks. 5 or 6 tomatoes + 6 peaches + 2 ears of corn and one cantaloupe = $29.50. Each week. I can't help myself.

Complaints aside, big juicy heirloom tomatoes and peaches are beyond price. It's like biting into a summer day.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  51.9 KB

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have spent my life between Rio de Janeiro, which is, you know, the most beautiful place on the planet:

And São Paulo, where I was born and live now, which is basically a lot of bricks, concrete, trains and a river in the middle:

It's not that all of São Paulo is ugly (most of it is kinda, though), but, really, Rio is breathtaking. Rio is a very big city, but São Paulo is a monster, twice as big as Rio, and it has a very peculiar charm to it. Being so large, it is extremely diverse. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries São received massive amounts of European and Asian immigrants. Name any country and there will certainly be a community of immigrants from there in São Paulo. The biggest influences, though, are Japanese and Italian, to the extent that the accent deeply associated with São Paulo is nothing more than Brazilian Portuguese with a twist of Italian pronunciation and rhythm. Weather in São Paulo is also much milder than Rio, where temperatures easily reach the 40°C mark. Here very rarely we are above 32°C, and the average for the year is 19°C. There is a very typical fine, cold rain during the nights which granted São Paulo the name "the land of drizzle" — not so much lately, though, we've been through a severe drought.

Not all of it bricks and stones. This is where I study, one of the campi of USP:

Areas further from the center can get quite green, especially and the extreme North and mid and extreme South of the city. When I was little I lived (Annie will like this) 5 minutes aways from Interlagos F1 circuit. I can't tell how many time I've seen Schumacher wandering down the streets. Strangely, only him, I don't know why — maybe he liked walks? It was also very close to the Guarapiranga dam, a tree every 10 meters and a nice view of little boats on the water:

I can't complain about culture and entertainment. São Paulo has the biggest cultural market of Latin America — and probably of the southern hemisphere. Currently I live right downtown, and on my street alone there are 4 movie theatres and I don't even know how many theatres, certainly more than 10. We have two major opera venues, the Theatro Municipal de São Paulo:

And the much smaller (and very risqué) Theatro São Pedro:

And also a concert hall that is between the top 10 in the world (I just discovered this), Sala São Paulo:

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I know both cities very well and they are both extraordinary. One thing you haven't mentioned: the restaurants. Both cities have some incredible ones (São Paulo even more than Rio). São Paulo, among hundreds of other upscale places, boasts D.O.M., widely considered among the best restaurants in the entire world. It's considered to be the best restaurant in South America and it's been ranked as high as 4th best in the world by international restaurant magazines. Cute food too!

"J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast