Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: This is where I live.

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is where I live.

This is the town where I live.

Please post your own pictures as well if you wish (I know most of you have walkie-talkies with cameras in-built so it should be very easy to take pictures).

below left
    Lock 54 Grand Union Canal looking towards port of Berkhamsted and Lock keepers cottage. When I moved to the neighbourhood, the cottage was still occupied by "boat people".
    Below right
    Turnover bridge. Where the towpath changes side, this design of bridge allows the horse to cross without being untied from the boat.
    Name:  Lock 54 Berkhamsted Grand Union Canal.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  72.9 KBName:  Turnover bridge Berkhamsted Grand Union Canal.jpg
Size:  57.6 KB

below left
    Same bridge taken from east side. This section of canal was opened in 1798, and the way to Birmingham 1805.
    below right
    Berkhamsted School, founded 1541. Berkhamsted was a very wealthy market town from the middle ages allowing many schools to be built. Graham Greene attended this school where his father was headmaster.
    Name:  Turnover bridge Berkhamsted Grand Union Canal East.jpg
Size:  61.9 KBName:  Berkhamsted School 1541.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  60.3 KB

below left
    An Eton fives court outside the school. What connection it has to Eton I'm unsure...
    below right
    Berkhamsted Church of St. Peter. Oldest parts of structure date from early 13th Century.
    Name:  Berkhamsted School Eton Fives court.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  37.8 KBName:  Berkhamsted Church of St Peter early 13C.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  52.0 KB

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great photos Clayton! It looks a very beautiful part of the country. Will dig out some of mine when I get a minute.
    " … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My city is made of three towns intertwined (pretty much continuous) in what is called the North Carolina Triangle, made of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill (in between, the smaller towns of Cary, Apex, and Carrboro are also part of the metropolitan area). All together we are about 1,450,000 people.

Raleigh:

Name:  raleigh_march_2013_raleighskyline.com_11.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  48.4 KB

Durham:

Name:  Duke-University,-Durham,-NC.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  87.4 KB

Raleigh:

Name:  Raleigh_Parks1.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  84.5 KB

Raleigh:

Name:  Raleigh_Skyline_011.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  72.2 KB

Raleigh:

Name:  Governer's-Mansion,-Raleigh,-NC.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  88.6 KB

Chapel Hill:

Name:  University-of-NC,-Chapel-Hill,-NC.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  98.6 KB

And this is the opera house in Raleigh:

Name:  Raleigh Opera House2.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  41.7 KB
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); January 14th, 2014 at 03:19 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few more.

Durham:

Name:  Duke Chapel.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  77.7 KB

Durham:

Name:  dukechapel3.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  95.2 KB

Durham:

Name:  Duke Chapel4.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  30.6 KB

Durham:

Name:  durham.jpg
Size:  70.7 KB

Durham:

Name:  durham_skyline.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  55.3 KB

Carrboro:

Name:  carrboro.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  57.6 KB

Chapel Hill:

Name:  chapel hill 2.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  44.3 KB

Chapel Hill:

Name:  chapel hill - Copy.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  58.6 KB

Chapel Hill:

Name:  Chapel_Hill__NC_by_lPeregrine.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  76.1 KB

The opera also performs in this theater, in Chapel Hill:

Name:  Memorial-Hall-660x440.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  72.7 KB

Raleigh at night:

Name:  Raleigh_NC Skyline.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  44.0 KB

Raleigh:

Name:  Skyline,-Raleigh,-NC.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  68.8 KB

Cary:

Name:  cary-nc.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  99.8 KB

Apex:

Name:  Apex,NC_Main Street.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  36.0 KB

Cary:

Name:  cary2-nc.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  47.6 KB

Chapel Hill:

Name:  chapel hill.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  18.2 KB

Chapel Hill:

Name:  ChapelHillNC-7m.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  76.8 KB
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); January 14th, 2014 at 02:50 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Local sports - you've seen the baseball stadium in downtown Durham above. This is one of the three football stadiums, the Kenan in Chapel Hill:

Name:  Kenan stadium.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  76.9 KB

The smaller but cute Wade Wallace Stadium in Durham (this belongs to the team I support):

Name:  wade wallace stadium.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  48.8 KB

The third one is the Carter-Finley in Raleigh:

Name:  Carter-Finley_Stadium_1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  95.1 KB

Then, we have the PNC Arena in Raleigh,

Name:  pncarena1.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  99.8 KB

here set for basketball:

Name:  pnc-arena-02.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  58.3 KB

And here, for ice hockey:

Name:  pncarenahockey.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  40.1 KB

The Dean Smith Stadium in Chapel Hill:

Name:  dean smith stadium.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  55.7 KB

And the Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham (this one belongs to the team I support):

Name:  Cameron_Indoor_Stadium.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  66.2 KB
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); January 14th, 2014 at 03:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and I've shown the opera house in Raleigh and the one in Chapel Hill, forgot about the one in Durham (DPAC):

Name:  dpac2.jpg
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  DPAC.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  79.3 KB

The operetta company (mostly Gilbert & Sullivan) performs here, also in Durham (Carolina Theater):

Name:  carolina theater.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  carolina interior -24185.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  17.1 KB

-----

The facade of the opera houses in Raleigh and Chapel Hill are in other posts above. Here is the interior o these venues:

Chapel Hill

Name:  memorial hall interior.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  memhall_interior.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  95.0 KB

In Raleigh, the Performing Arts Center has three theaters, all three used by the opera company for various performances. Fully staged operas are presented in the huge Memorial Auditorium:

Name:  memorial-auditorium.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  87.3 KB

Concerts, recitals, and concert opera are presented in the Meymandi Concert Hall:

Name:  meymandi concert hall.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  58.6 KB

Chamber opera and semi-staged opera are presented in the intimate Fletcher Opera Theater, with good acoustics:

Name:  fletcher-opera-theater.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  79.3 KB

Looking at the Facade, the Fletcher is on the left, the Memorial occupies the center of the building, and the Meymandi is on the right:

Name:  raleigh opera house3.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  17.9 KB
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); January 14th, 2014 at 03:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Amazing arts and sports facilities, especially considering the population.
    I love the theatres, they have a classical elegance but also look like they have all the benefits of modern architecture and they each have character.
    I like how all the public spaces look so well cared for as well.
    Thanks for the post; I now know the North Carolina Triangle is a very pretty area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I'm a big fan of my city. Some people might think, "what is Alma doing in a Southern state like North Carolina, especially coming from New York City and after having lived in Paris? It must be a cultural desert." Not so, not so. Actually the North Carolina Triangle is one of the most progressive and developed areas in the nation, consistently ranking in the top 10 (sometimes ranking first) in all sorts of indicators of quality of life, business atmosphere, healthcare, cultural diversity, low crime, etc., etc. What happens is that the population is highly educated and well paid, which is why, in spite of being a relatively small metropolitan area, we have such world class facilities (people have the disposable income to attend them). Our area has the highest concentration of people holding doctoral degrees per square feet in the entire nation. The three major universities - Duke (nicknamed the Harvard of the South, one of the top 10 universities in the nation) in Durham, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (the oldest and one of the best public universities in the nation), and North Carolina State University in Raleigh (a school that is very strong in the technological fields), plus the huge facility called the Research Triangle Park which sits right in the middle of the metropolitan area (the center of the triangle made of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill), lead some of the cutting edge research and development university-corporation partnerships, with 163 R&D firms ranging from the national headquarters of IBM and Lenovo to advanced bio research with big pharmaceutical industries. Wink wink, the cell phone was invented here. With this concentration of smart and well paid people, there is a hunger for good art, good restaurants, etc., and this is how and why our operatic season last year had something like 23 different operas being performed, plus some 17 major recitals and galas, in some 40 events (each with a number of performances in their runs). And it's not only opera - we have a film festival, jazz, a famous dance/ballet festival, Broadway traveling musical theater, two excellent symphonic orchestras, and so on. We are also at close driving distance of some other metropolitan areas in the state that have a lot to offer as well - the nice ocean beaches in the Wilmington area, the ski resorts in the Asheville area with its art galleries, golf courses, spas, Blue Ridge mountains; the incredibly artsy city of Winston-Salem with one of the best conservatories in the country, the University of North Carolina School of the Arts in association with the Fletcher Opera Institute, Piedmont Opera and the Winston-Salem Symphony, and the wealthy Charlotte (one of the banking centers in the nation) with more state-of-the-art performance venues, the fabulous Opera Carolina, sports facilities (NFL, NBA), and top restaurants. This is why we are nicknamed "the Southern tip of Heaven."

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like a lovely place to live and suitably artsy. I love all the trees as well, it must look gorgeous in the autumn.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Auckland often ranks among the top cities in the world for quality of life; and certainly it's an easy place to live, but when you look at Alma's list of arts events it is severely lacking in that area, particularly in view of the fact that we have a comparative population size. I guess that the country has a much smaller catchment base and has a wider range of population in terms of interests and education, and sport is the main thing here. If the newspaper wants to paint someone as a thoroughly good guy, they'll say he's a rugby player. Some pretty places:

Rangitoto, one of our 57 volcanic cones, and the most recently active. The worry is not the 57 that exist, but where the next one might form, hopefully not building up steam under my house.

Our closest city beach, lots of cafes and restaurants as well:

This is the beach where "The piano" was filmed - about 40 minutes drive away from where I live. You can go on lots of bushwalks in the regional park in these hills.

The central city with the marina in front. You have to like the water to live here:

Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 14th, 2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: millions of typos
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the Town hall were a lot of concerts take place:

And the awfully ugly Aotea centre where you can see the occasional opera:

They showed Xerxes in the much prettier Civic Theatre which is a '20s wild extravaganza. In this picture you can't see the hundred of tiny lights in the ceiling that make it look like the night sky.

Name:  Civic-Theatre1.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  59.0 KB
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    My main local walks, all a few minutes away - Orakei basin, a vocanic formation

Waiatarua reserve, a wetlands in the middle of the city, loads of birds:

Cornwall park,

which has a fully functioning farm (gotta have sheep in here somewhere)

and of course another volcano:

Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Auckland often ranks among the top cities in the world for quality of life...
    What a beautiful place.

I don't care what you say about access to opera;

I definitely think I'm living in the wrong part of the world now...

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    All that, and the Lord of the Rings, too (other island?)! Looks gorgeous!

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I assume most folks are familiar with the famous sites and memorials in my hometown of Washington, DC. So, thinking about it, I thought I would show some other interesting sites here in DC:

Name:  Jeffersonatnight.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  13.9 KB

This photo of the Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument is interesting because the scaffolding on the Washington Monument was designed by Michael Graves and has just been removed after repairing the Monument due to damage resulting from the earthquake in August, 2011.

Name:  TStbloomingdale.jpg
Size:  33.1 KB

This is my street (forgive the pouring rain) my house is next to the first house with the turret toward the top of the photo.

Name:  McMillan_Park_6.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  97.2 KB

This is McMillan Park, about 6 blocks from my house. The towers are the remnants of the city's 19th century water filtering system. The site currently is slated for development and is a highly controversial project among many here in the neighborhood.

Name:  whitehouseburned.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  80.2 KB

A little rehab job dating to a little, um, incident in 1814.

Name:  white_house_washington_dc.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  49.5 KB

Turned out pretty good, though, considering!

Name:  octagon.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  98.5 KB

Above is the Octagon, where First Lady Dolley Madison fled during the fire.

Name:  Surrat_Boarding_House_2012.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  94.2 KB

This nondescript house is the Mary Surratt house (left), and is where the plot to assassinate Abraham Lincoln was hatched.

Name:  FordsTheater.jpg
Size:  98.2 KB

This is Ford's Theater, where the plot ended with Lincoln's demise.

Name:  InteriorFords.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  54.8 KB

The interior of Ford's Theater today. The box at upper center with the bunting was Lincoln's box, and where he was shot.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); January 16th, 2014 at 06:38 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast