Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    The flying Dutchman from Finnish National Opera on Opera Platform, in an intelligent Regie production by Kasper Holten. Singing also excellent. Worth a watch if you feel adventurous.

I watched this over the weekend and I thought it was EXCELLENT. Once you get over some of the nautical dialogue not making any sense in the new context, Holten's engagement with the themes of the piece was genuinely illuminating. Like Senta being an obsessed fan who feels like she knows the Dutchman because she's followed all of his work. Act 3 was full of surprises and was harrowing. I'm glad it wasn't my 1st Dutchman, but I love this kind of take for a repeat viewing. (Better singing than my first Dutchman, too.)
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 5th, 2018 at 01:12 AM.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Prince Igor
    The first opera I've watched without knowing the music or even synopsis prior to viewing. It's fun not knowing what comes next

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don Carlo from Wiener Staatsoper under the baton of Marco Armiliato. René Pape absolutely stupendous, Anja Harteros not far behind and for once I really enjoyed Béatrice Uria-Monzon's singing as much as her acting and good looks. I was less convinced by Ramón Vargas and Ludovic Tézier although they sang correctly (I wish Vargas would learn to make a clean 's' sound when he sings, it drives me nuts).

Slight problem: who would prefer Vargas to Pape resplendently sexy in his breeches and long black boots?

Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revisiting the very first opera I saw at ROH. Not this actual performance but this production and these singers. I don't know enough about the soprano voice to say whether or not Natalie Dessay sings well but her acting is absolutely brilliant.

Name:  dvd_don_fille_reg_1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  62.8 KB

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Revisiting the very first opera I saw at ROH. Not this actual performance but this production and these singers. I don't know enough about the soprano voice to say whether or not Natalie Dessay sings well but her acting is absolutely brilliant.

Name:  dvd_don_fille_reg_1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  62.8 KB
    I agree completely. The Met also uses this production, and televised it in the U.S. on PBS. A brilliant production, indeed!

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I the only one who likes Dawn French? She's a hoot! And Donald Maxwell as Hortensius? Stellar!

On a more serious note, many (as in MANY) we attended a Met (on tour) performance with Sutherland and Pavarotti. I do not know who was having more fun, the audience or the cast.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    I have the Dessay/Florez La Fille Du Regiment DVD and love it. Dessay is wonderful and then you also have Florez. You may want to get ther Dessay/Florez Sonnambula. It too is wonderful.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    An amazing performance of Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk with Anja Kampe just brilliant in the title role, beautifully conducted by Kirill Petrenko. So sad it has now gone from YouTube. It's my reference performance now, because she owns the role and sings it so beautifully.

Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Giving this one a try. Good: Nagano and Kaufmann. We'll see about the rest.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    Lohengrin too, but the Trebs /Beczala version. A very straight telling, but made worthwhile by the singing, and Treb's overall performance. Even Beczala annoyed me less than usual. And Herlitzius is even scarier than Waltraud Meier as Ortrud. Might need to take my teddy to bed with me tonight and hide under the sheets.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 5th, 2018 at 01:12 AM.
    Natalie

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    This is one of those recordings where I more or less ignore the staging concept and just enjoy the wonderful musical performance. (Which isn't to say that I don't appreciate the singers' dramatic involvement with their characters.)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lohengrin too, but the Trebs /Beczala version. A very straight telling, but made worthwhile by the singing, and Treb's overall performance. Even Beczala annoyed me less than usual.
    That's saying something!

And Herlitzius is even scarier than Waltraud Meier as Ortrud. Might need to take my teddy to bed with me tonight and hide under the sheets.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, what do you think about the performance (not the production/staging)?

I saw Kent Nagano conduct the Ring at Bayerische Staatsoper (2012) and - perhaps, because it was my first time - I was gobsmacked, as they say. Just jawdroppingly good. Production itself (Andreas Kriegenburg) had its "What the.." moments, but really paid off with a stunningly staged and conducted conclusion to Götterdämmerung. Nagano doesn't typically jump to mind as a top ranked Wagnerian, but I was way more impressed with his performance than I was with Barenboim's (Berlin, 2013).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    So, what do you think about the performance (not the production/staging)?

I saw Kent Nagano conduct the Ring at Bayerische Staatsoper (2012) and - perhaps, because it was my first time - I was gobsmacked, as they say. Just jawdroppingly good. Production itself (Andreas Kriegenburg) had its "What the.." moments, but really paid off with a stunningly staged and conducted conclusion to Götterdämmerung. Nagano doesn't typically jump to mind as a top ranked Wagnerian, but I was way more impressed with his performance than I was with Barenboim's (Berlin, 2013).
    I got a half hour into it yesterday and am overwhelmed by how wonderful it is. Was hard to stop. I don't think the staging will be a problem at all.

Hey, I have a question. I was toying with buying the Bartoli DVD of the Turk in Italy. The performance is said to be wonderful, but the staging horrible. What does anyone think? I can get it for $15 but wait for the 20% sale and grab it for $12 would be a great deal (local shop). But I prefer Bartoli in Baroque so maybe not my cup of tea anyway. I was lukewarm to her Turk in Italy on CD but only a single listen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I have a question. I was toying with buying the Bartoli DVD of the Turk in Italy. The performance is said to be wonderful, but the staging horrible. What does anyone think? I can get it for $15 but wait for the 20% sale and grab it for $12 would be a great deal (local shop). But I prefer Bartoli in Baroque so maybe not my cup of tea anyway. I was lukewarm to her Turk in Italy on CD but only a single listen.
    I don't remember the staging being particularly horrible at all. It's all quite cute if nothing special.
    Natalie