Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now this Belle Helene is how you do larfs about sex. Also worth catching for lovely Gaëlle Arquez, the bellest Belle Helene possible, and some great technical stage wizardry.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 5th, 2018 at 01:14 AM.
    Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Now this is how you do larfs about sex...
    let's not go there

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now this is how you do larfs about sex. Also worth catching for lovely Gaëlle Arquez, the bellest Belle Helene possible, and some great technical stage wizardry.

Wow, supper nice, and indeed she is beautiful!!!!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    My screen says, " A plugin is needed to display this content". The connotation in the sense of sex is delicious.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    My screen says, " A plugin is needed to display this content". The connotation in the sense of sex is delicious.
    I understand you are saying it as a joke (and it is funny) but just for the sake of whoever else might have trouble playing this content, it has to do with allowing Adobe Flash to play in your computer. Given that Adobe Flash has been plagued by hackers, it is prudent to only enable it temporarily, for specific tasks (so people should click on "allow now" rather than "allow and remember." Most browsers now don't automatically enable it. This is a local issue (having the plug-in enabled in your browser), not an Opera Lively issue.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I understand you are saying it as a joke (and it is funny) but just for the sake of whoever else might have trouble playing this content, it has to do with allowing Adobe Flash to play in your computer. Given that Adobe Flash has been plagued by hackers, it is prudent to only enable it temporarily, for specific tasks (so people should click on "allow now" rather than "allow and remember." Most browsers now don't automatically enable it. This is a local issue (having the plug-in enabled in your browser), not an Opera Lively issue.
    Good advice.

If you get "A plugin is needed to display this content" try right click and you may be given the option to "allow now".

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Good to know.

But his post was funnier.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Good advice.

If you get "A plugin is needed to display this content" try right click and you may be given the option to "allow now".

Besides which, what if one doesn't have a "right click", and only a one-click? You know us Mac users!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good opera, excellent production, Marianne Crebassa can do no wrong.

Natalie

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful so far!

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    just started this one:
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm watching the Rheingold from Opera North, and grappling with a plot problem which always bothers me: If the Ring gives Alberich such special powers, allowing him to rule the world, how come he can't use it to escape from Wotan and Loge? It's really not much use, is it, if it can't even do that.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm watching the Rheingold from Opera North, and grappling with a plot problem which always bothers me: If the Ring gives Alberich such special powers, allowing him to rule the world, how come he can't use it to escape from Wotan and Loge? It's really not much use, is it, if it can't even do that.
    A similar issue arises in Act I of Götterdämmerung, when Brünnhilde warns the disguised Siegfried that the ring will protect her, but he nonetheless manages to overpower her in short order.

I see the ring as symbolically related to the gold from which it's fashioned. Like wealth, it enables you to enslave countless millions, accumulate even more riches, and eventually dominate the world. But it's no protection against a direct, personal assault.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Alberich was tricked into giving up the gold - the Ring - by Loge and Wotan. Here's the key paragraph from the synopsis (keep in mind that Alberich is playing around with the Tarnhelm when he's visible/not, etc):

Alberich has just left when Loge and Wotan arrive. They hear latest news from Mime and Loge promises Mime they will free all Nibelung dwarfs from Alberich's tyranny. Alberich arrives and becomes visible. He recognizes Wotan and Loge immediately and asks what is their business here. He is told that the gods have heard of his new might and wanted to see if the rumours are true. Alberich boasts with his great treasures with which he says he will rule the world. Loge pretends disbelief in the Tarnhelm's powers, and to prove its might, Alberich wears the Tarnhelm and turns into a huge dragon (serpent?). Loge pretends to be frightened, and asks next whether Alberich could turn into something tiny to evade his enemies. Alberich doesn't see the trick and turns into a toad. Loge tells Wotan to catch the toad: the gods seize the Tarnhelm and leave Nibelheim with Alberich as their captive.

I would guess that not all productions are clear on this little detail. Wotan and Loge also leave with the gold, since they need it to pay off the giants so they will release Freya.

See? Wagner thought of everything!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Wotan and Loge also leave with the gold, since they need it to pay off the giants so they will release Freya.
    A small correction: Wotan and Loge don't take the gold with them (they've got enough on their hands abducting Alberich). Instead, once they ascend to the outskirts of Walhall, they have Alberich use the ring to summon his minions, who bring up the gold from Nibelheim.