Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was watching Ginastera's Bomarzo on The Opera Platformbecause one has to get out of Baroque occasionally and this happened during the overture:

I've been wondering what the hell was going on for hours now. I have never seen so many members of an orchestra look that SHOOK.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 5th, 2018 at 01:25 AM.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also having a break from baroque with Frank Martin's Le Vin herbé on Opera Platform. Planning on Bomarzo next.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 5th, 2018 at 01:25 AM.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post

I've been wondering what the hell was going on for hours now. I have never seen so many members of an orchestra look that SHOOK.
    Obviously, someone passed wind. Three guesses who.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Watched this over the weekend

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    To complement my listening to the Italian version

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    To complement my listening to the Italian version

Erwin in a killer frock amirite?
    Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Erwin in a killer frock amirite?

Indeed. Revival this year and hoping to get tickets for the dress rehearsal. http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/le...stefan-herheim

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Obviously, someone passed wind. Three guesses who.
    The guy with the big sheepish grin in the upper left of center (the one with the fingers on his left hand on the side of his face). Another giveaway is the bald looking guy to his left (just above the center) has his face forward but his eyes way over to the side like he is trying to see who the culprit is.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like

IMMA GRAB MY VIOLA AND GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched the Rosenkavalier from the Met with Fleming, Garanča, Morley and Groissböck. I thought it was a good production from Carsen with some interesting differences from the usual take, particularly in Act 3, and the cast was exemplary.

That said, it has confirmed what I have been suspecting for a while - I don't really like Strauss all that much (except Salome). The only bits I really enjoy 100% in this opera are the presentation of the rose and the final trio. This is the fifth Rosenkavalier I have watched so I can say I've really given it a good go, but I am done now.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched the Rosenkavalier from the Met with Fleming, Garanča, Morley and Groissböck. I thought it was a good production from Carsen with some interesting differences from the usual take, particularly in Act 3, and the cast was exemplary.

That said, it has confirmed what I have been suspecting for a while - I don't really like Strauss all that much (except Salome). The only bits I really enjoy 100% in this opera are the presentation of the rose and the final trio. This is the fifth Rosenkavalier I have watched so I can say I've really given it a good go, but I am done now.
    Der Rosenkavalier has never been my favorite Strauss. I don't particularly like the fact that it never really finds its way in terms of either being a comedy or a serious opera. Of course the two scenes you mentioned are simply gorgeous but I find myself waiting for them and bored with almost everything else. My favorite Strauss is Die Frau Ohne Schatten, followed by Salome and Elektra.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Der Rosenkavalier has never been my favorite Strauss. I don't particularly like the fact that it never really finds its way in terms of either being a comedy or a serious opera. Of course the two scenes you mentioned are simply gorgeous but I find myself waiting for them and bored with almost everything else. My favorite Strauss is Die Frau Ohne Schatten, followed by Salome and Elektra.
    Yes, I have also tried and failed to like much of Die Frau Ohne Schatten, Arabella, Capriccio, Elektra, Ariadne auf Naxos and Feuersnot. I'm giving up.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not big on Strauss either, but Elektra makes me literally shiver. Last New Year all I had to listen to during the night (alone on the beach, on a hammock) was the Sinopoli-Wiener Philharmoniker Elektra and it spooked the hell out of me.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have also tried and failed to like much of Die Frau Ohne Schatten, Arabella, Capriccio, Elektra, Ariadne auf Naxos and Feuersnot. I'm giving up.
    Maybe one of the reasons is that you are so into Baroque (I mean no offense, I love it too), and Strauss' pre-modernist scores are a bit on the opposite side of the spectrum. Since I'm a big lover of modern and contemporary opera, I enjoy listening to the embryo of the new tendencies that one finds in especially Elektra, and also Salome.

I don't mean to be condescending either. I respect every opera lovers' preferences and I wouldn't ever presume that my own are superior in any way; they are just my taste. People like what they like and it is perfectly fine to prefer some periods over others. I'm just trying to get to the root of why you dislike Strauss. My guess maybe is wrong; if it is, please correct me (you do like Written on Skin and Salome so I'm a bit confused).
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)