Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So long as we are discussing Strauss, I have tried two of his operas on DVD, Capriccio and Die Frau Ohne Schatten. Capriccio bored terribly and I should consider selling off the DVD, but Die Frau Ohne Schatten was quite interesting--kind of weird too.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    So long as we are discussing Strauss, I have tried two of his operas on DVD, Capriccio and Die Frau Ohne Schatten. Capriccio bored terribly and I should consider selling off the DVD, but Die Frau Ohne Schatten was quite interesting--kind of weird too.
    Cappricio's attraction is in the fact that the topic is the core of opera itself: the libretto (poetry) versus the music. I like it.

Die Frau Ohne Schatten is weird in purpose; it is a dark fairy tale.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've not gotten anywhere with the music of Capriccio (75% of my opera is CD, though that's way up from the 99% of two years ago!) but I have not watched it yet. I'm hopeful as the library's recording has Renee Fleming whom I enjoy. The library has Die Frau Ohne Schatten and I look forward to viewing that. To be honest I don't remember if I've listened to it, I have a big box of Strauss operas and one of the downsides of those big boxes is keeping track of what you've listened to! I've started a composer-of-the-month/week listening project, first up is Dvorak. But Strauss will probably not be too far away, sometime in the summer so I'll definitely be examining both operas and others more closely

As for me, I'm currently watching War & Peace. This DVD has been raved about here, but was quickly priced out of my reach online. I was very disappointed, but then found my library actually has it! Just with a slightly different cover

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    My guess maybe is wrong; if it is, please correct me (you do like Written on Skin and Salome so I'm a bit confused).
    I actually was the first person on this forum to rave on about Written on Skin when I saw it on YT almost as soon as it had appeared. I also like Wozzeck, The Minotaur, Death of Klinghoffer, Nixon in China, L'Amour de Loin, The Tempest, Akhnaten, St Francois D'Assise, the Nose etc etc. As I said in this thread I also really like Salome. Britten is one of my very favourite composers and he has his modernist moments.

The problem with Elektra is not the modernism but rather the shrieking sopranos. In fact sopranos full stop (Strauss does love his sopranos!). The other day I even stopped watching Anna Bolena because I was not in the right frame of mind for all the bel canto soprano coloratura.

The other composer I'm not that keen on, in fact, is Donizetti. Not quite sure why.
    Natalie

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    As for me, I'm currently watching War & Peace. This DVD has been raved about here, but was quickly priced out of my reach online. I was very disappointed, but then found my library actually has it! Just with a slightly different cover

I just wanted to update, just having finished watching this. I love this opera. You know it's a good one when you get a lump in your throat while watching the curtain call. From the very opening notes, the music gripped me and that was even before I watched a video of it. The opening scene with Natasha and Alexei is superb. It's an example of the sum being greater than its parts, because while I can't say the dance scenes in the "Peace" act were the most exciting thing to watch, it doesn't really matter on the whole. I wondered if a full second DVD in "War" would hold my attention, but it most certainly did! I loved Piotr as a character too. The burning of Moscow was such a moving scene as well.

I wish I had my War and Peace CD in the mail already, because I'd surely start listening to it right after finishing the video
    Already looking forward to watching it again in the future.....you know when I have at least 3.5 hours to spare!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cappricio's attraction is in the fact that the topic is the core of opera itself: the libretto (poetry) versus the music. I like it.

Die Frau Ohne Schatten is weird in purpose; it is a dark fairy tale.
    I realize the literary and poetic value of Cappricio is great but as an opera, at least the DVD I watched, it was very static. And the crowning moment of the opera, when she fails to choose between the composer and the poet, was to me a disappointment, I felt as though it were a long joke with no punch line. I guess that is more of a redneck view, lacking the subtle refinements of the ending, but that was my take. Now, having read about the ending in a book on opera (the redneck can learn higher arts), perhaps I would appreciate it more.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    The other composer I'm not that keen on, in fact, is Donizetti. Not quite sure why.
    Is it just in general then? Surely there must be some Donizetti operas you like: Maria Stuarda? Lucrezia Borgia? L'elisir d'amore? La fille du régiment?

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually was the first person on this forum to rave on about Written on Skin when I saw it on YT almost as soon as it had appeared. I also like Wozzeck, The Minotaur, Death of Klinghoffer, Nixon in China, L'Amour de Loin, The Tempest, Akhnaten, St Francois D'Assise, the Nose etc etc. As I said in this thread I also really like Salome. Britten is one of my very favourite composers and he has his modernist moments.

The problem with Elektra is not the modernism but rather the shrieking sopranos. In fact sopranos full stop (Strauss does love his sopranos!). The other day I even stopped watching Anna Bolena because I was not in the right frame of mind for all the bel canto soprano coloratura.

Oh. Too many sopranos. I get it. It's like me and Billy Budd. Not enough sopranos.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it just in general then? Surely there must be some Donizetti operas you like: Maria Stuarda? Lucrezia Borgia? L'elisir d'amore? La fille du régiment?
    L'elisir d'amore and La fille du régiment are both good fun and the exception!

I wouldn't care if I never heard any of the others again.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    L'elisir d'amore and La fille du régiment are both good fun and the exception!

I wouldn't care if I never heard any of the others again.
    Some of them are very melodious (like Roberto Devereux). And the mad scene in Lucia is gorgeous, as is the sextet. No exception there?

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting back to Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier is my favorite of his, and among my favorite operas, period.

So that settles it.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh good. I'm glad we cleared that up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of them are very melodious (like Roberto Devereux). And the mad scene in Lucia is gorgeous, as is the sextet. No exception there?
    The Mad scene is 14 minutes of soprano coloratura. HOW IS THAT IN ANY WAY GORGEOUS?
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mad scene is 14 minutes of soprano coloratura. HOW IS THAT IN ANY WAY GORGEOUS?
    Because bass coloratura kinda sucks?